Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wood to fiberglass stringers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tom K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wood to fiberglass stringers
    Posted: June-22-2012 at 4:28pm

Can anyone tell me when the Nautiques started using fiberglass stringers rather than wood? tom
CHautauqua Lake Yacht Club
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 4:29pm
1993 in most boats, excel/bfn is a likely exception.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 4:32pm
1992 last year that came with wood strigers
1993 and up composite stringers...
only doubt is if the excel/barefoot models also turned to composites in 93. It was never confirmed...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Tom K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 4:47pm
Thanks so much!
Tom K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 4:51pm
what materials are the floors in my 1993 Nautique made out of?

if the steering is tight is there away to oil the cable or loosen it up?

if it is a bit slow out of the hole but fast 45 mph at the top, what are thre first things I should check?
Tom K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 5:00pm
I'll add that I have a PCM 351 engine and I believe it is fuel injected on the 1993 Ski Nautique open bow.

I have had some shops do a tune up at the beginning of each season but I am not sure they did anything but the oil. They get so busy early season I think they just rush through the boats to get them in the water.

it is frustrating bc I bought the boat in part b/c I'd like it to pull my 6'4" 230 lbs out faster but as it is, I need to drag a foot and come up slow b/c of the lack of power initially.

Thereafter the power is fast enough to barefoot by stepping off a ski.

Thanks again,

tom
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 5:05pm
foam and glass over it...they can soak some water in the long run.

original cable? does it turn freely out of the water or at idle? or is it always stiff? try to unhook the cable from the rudder and see if it turns free. Just some tips to rule other thing prior to changing the cable.

Is its slow or sluggish? a prop change can do wonders. 45 seems to be a decent speed for this hull.
You suspect a couple of pounds of wet foam will affect it out of the hole? nahhh really don´t think so! a bit of tunning or a prop change will sure improve the hole shot.
what use are u giving it? ski wb bf? also base or ho engine?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 5:10pm
i´m after your reply...
ok looks like some tuning is needed, that setup should pull a deep start with no problem...
i´ve seen 2001 models pull 4 deeps start with the base engine with no trouble..
and my 1992 also base engine and soaked foam, had no problem pulling me up on barefoot...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 5:15pm
maybe i´m wrong but other than changing plugs, cables, and filters, not much you can do on a protec engine. the computer controls timing etc...
have some pics of the engine?

what is the current prop u r running? condition?

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 5:31pm
PROP
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Tom K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 5:37pm
thanks for the ideas, I'll check up on the questions.

I use it mostly to barefoot, ski and commute around the lake.

the steering is tight in and out of the water. It turned much better a couple years ago. I'll try the unhook the rudder. If it is still tight can it be salvaged with lube or is it a replacement issue?

I'll replace the plugs, wires, and filters. (where are the fuel filters or will i find them easily following the fuel line?)

the prop was upgraded to a 4 blade prop by the last owner.

now that I think about it I am not sure it is fuel injected, I just thought someone told me that before, I'll check over the weekend.

really I appreciate you thoughts!

Tom

Tom
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 5:51pm
if the cable indeed is tight, replacement is the solution, I learned that the hardway, i was left in the middle of the water w/o steering, it was so stiff it broke the helm.

don´t try to lube a 20 yo cable, it won´t work...by the time you figure how to pass lube through the rack system you´ll loose the boating season...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 5:55pm
other than the slow start, engine runs fine? idles well, clean burn, no fuel smell, no misses etc etc?

what rpm are you seeing at wot? are those 45 mph gps or speedo readings?

with todays props (3 blade CNCs), a 4 blade isn´t considered much of an upgrade...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic