NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damper plate issue...

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damper plate issue...
    Posted: June-22-2012 at 4:48pm
Hello,

Can anybody point me in the direction for the damper plate I need? I look at skidim, but not sure what I need.   I have a 94 Excel v-drive, 351w block. Does this have to be specific to this boat, or will others work, or an automotive style from NAPA?

The short story is after putting the new engine in, and not replacing the damper, she snapped in a big way. Like 100 parts, no other damage I can see. A tow, and removing the engine again, and I should be set.

Any help would be great, especially if you can get me in touch with someone who has one in their hands right now.

Thanks again.
If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 4:56pm
I believe this is it. Seems like there is also a 14" so I am not exactly sure which one. Some one in the know will chime in soon.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 5:21pm
Does that one say it is for GM? Thanks for the ebasic website, never knew they existed.

I am starting to hate this whole process.   Brand new motor, that was awesome for 1 day, and I sit looking for a damper plate on the net, looking at the water, because I didn't know any better to change it while the motor was out.

I need to move near a dealer, because waiting is the worst game I have ever played.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 5:22pm
you need to match up the damper to the tranny you have.
same ford engine but velvet or pcm tranny will have different dampers.

I don´t think you´ll find a damper in an auto store...

ebasic power, skidim, etc are good sources...

let Jody or Eric point you in the right direction...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 5:27pm
cheap insurance to change just in case when engine or tranny are out...
major head ache on a $200 part!
pulling the engine again on that vdrive will cost you as much as the part u r replacing..
sorry to hear that.

cool donwn this is part of the BOAT (bust out another thousand) experience...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 10:46pm
Seth,
The key to matching the damper plate is the trans and it's spline count. I can't believe you pulled an engine and put a rebuild in without attending to dampner!!!!!!!!! WTF????? Yes, you have NOT been spending enough time on CCfan!!! You came to us for help and then ignored our advice!!! Yes, I'm upset and look back in your previous threads where I and others recommended a damper.

No, An automotive from your local supply will no work!!! Sorry but since you did an engine swap I sort of get an good idea of your background. However???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2012 at 10:53am
you have to remember when pulling the transmissions off these engines and if they sag on the way out or way in, you will fatigue or bend the damper, new or not new, you have to go straight in with them, and even a set of dowel pins to guide the trans....there is always the money and time to do it a second time around, skidim sells the damper
"the things you own will start to own you"
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2012 at 11:16am
Hey Eric heard good news that the Arabian is comin home today! Oops dampner lol
Brian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2012 at 1:34am
Crap.

No really, what damper? Not near boat until Monday, motor is pulled, but cannot remember the trans type.

Nobody in the Madison area I talked to knew crap about what I needed. They had no idea where to get the part, and in some cases never heard of it? WTF? Really, is it that boat specific?    Can't I talk to someone that knows more than nothing? What a waste of a few hours.

Let them touch the boat for any repair, no. Only thing I had anyone do is the engine build,that is beyond my knowledge.

My experience is with autos and trucks, and I appreciate the guys at NAPA. Damn, they can find me a part, let me know what store it is at, and when I'll see it, in 30 seconds or less, and the don't demand my bankroll each time.    Usually much harder to diagnosis, locate, remove and repair than to get a part on an auto.   Yes, boats are different.

So, I'll be seeing a damper on Monday am, think it is right if I trust them, that is funny, trust them. 26 spline

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2012 at 2:02am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Seth,
The key to matching the damper plate is the trans and it's spline count. I can't believe you pulled an engine and put a rebuild in without attending to dampner!!!!!!!!! WTF????? Yes, you have NOT been spending enough time on CCfan!!! You came to us for help and then ignored our advice!!! Yes, I'm upset and look back in your previous threads where I and others recommended a damper.

No, An automotive from your local supply will no work!!! Sorry but since you did an engine swap I sort of get an good idea of your background. However???

Yes.

Without this forum, what a disaster I would have been in. The knowledge base here is like a library. Awesome. Every day we have used the boat in some way was because of what I learned here.

Got to say, I over looked the damper, not an ignore. My mistake, I'm cool with it. I just needed the damper, I'd have trusted what you told me was the correct damper, without question.

That's where your advice stands with me.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2012 at 2:07am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

you have to remember when pulling the transmissions off these engines and if they sag on the way out or way in, you will fatigue or bend the damper, new or not new, you have to go straight in with them, and even a set of dowel pins to guide the trans....there is always the money and time to do it a second time around, skidim sells the damper

Thats good stuff. Glad I kept my mounts, unaltered and marked.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 10:40pm
Ok, I am so lost about this boat today.

So I pulled the motor, replaced the damper put it together, started, put in forward and reverse, I get nothing, motor starts and runs.

Literally nothing. No clunk, no noise, I put my hand on the trans by the bell housing and all around and as I can tell it seems like nothing is moving at all inside. I moved the shifting mechanism without the throttle cable attached, and nothing.

I thought this all might be a damper issue, until now. I can spin the trans shaft by hand, quite easily, about as hard as a doorknob. Then I see my pump is indexed just like this pic.   I have a normal, left, spinning motor. This is not my pic, but it is how my trans is set up.
I have never changed the direction, and it has always worked as intended.

Any ideas?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 10:55pm
It's not the dampner plate. Looking back in this thread, it looks like you repowered??? Did you index the trans pump direction?

BTW, if you did repwer. did you at least pay attention to getting the proper rotation engine??? If not, then I'm very disappointed!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 11:08pm
Yes, I repowered.

Here is the quick, version.
When I bought the boat I was told it had a right hand motor. Never did check it myself because it ran pretty well.   The engine guy who built the stroker, confirmed the old motor, was a Lefty. What was I worried about? The stroker is a lefty too, so nothing should have changed.

Joe, you were correct.

As for the pic above, that is how mine is indexed, I never changed anything. It always worked, but I am at a loss. The damper does seem to be on the splines properly but there is nothing happening, besides the motor running.

Should the trans shaft be easily turned by hand? And if so, should it then turn the prop? Or is that too slow to have it working?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 11:21pm
Oops, forgot this.

When I put the new engine in, it ran really well, only on a test run still on the trailer, never engaging forward or reverse. I was more concerned about it actually starting. I had a known good carb, but I did the distributor retro myself and just wanted to make sure it would run, so I could break it in properly. But I could hear something in the bellhousing area, not horrible, but worth a check.

Split the engine/trans and I see the damper is now missing two springs and was almost in two halves, as in front and back.

Replaced it, and started the motor, in gear, nothing.

It just seems too odd to me that it would not operate. It worked right before the repower.   No bangs, clunks, metal sounds nothing, and I have a pretty good ear.    Both gears at the same time too?
The odd thing is I get nothing from the trans now, the engine doesn't even act like it had a load, no noise, nothing.

Maybe I did'nt hook something up right but I have gone over and over with no sucess nor answers. I really don't want to put them together until I figure something out.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 11:30pm
Only thing I did to the trans was remove the water hoses from the front, disconnect the NSS, and what I think is a temp or pressure sensor.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 11:27am
Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

Only thing I did to the trans was remove the water hoses from the front, disconnect the NSS, and what I think is a temp or pressure sensor.

I'm really trying to follow along on this thread but I'm so lost and confused about what you're trying to explain, I have no idea what's going on.

You still haven't told us what tranny you have. I have to assume a 1:23 if it's a 94 but I really don't know. If it's a V-Drive it might be something different but I'm not sure on that either.
Damper, no damper, noise, no noise and what water hoses did you disconnect? I'm not aware of any water hoses on a tranny unless you have some off breed that we still need to know about for sure. Why would you disconnect the NSS and what sensor are you talking about? Where is it at? I'm completely lost here.

Take some pics and maybe that'll clear something up (pics of your tranny and not somebody else's). That would be a really good place to start.

You seem to only tell a part of the story and then "Oh by the way I did this too" in the next post. What the hell is really going on here. Some clarification please.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 11:45am
Eddie, If Seth pulled the engine and tranny to rebuild the engine I would ASSUME he left the tranny cooler connected to the tranny, so he pulled the fresh water lines of the cooler and then disconnected the wire from the NSS so he could remove the engine/tranny combination. That's how I read it anyway.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Eddie, If Seth pulled the engine and tranny to rebuild the engine I would ASSUME he left the tranny cooler connected to the tranny, so he pulled the fresh water lines of the cooler and then disconnected the wire from the NSS so he could remove the engine/tranny combination. That's how I read it anyway.

You got it.

Did I really make it that confusing? Sorry. Read below and you might feel my confusion too.

Ok, it is a velvet drive 1:1, it says Walters, not sure of the spelling there. There are two water lines connected to the drive. Not sure anymore about the boats history. I am getting the feeling it was not original before I got my hands on it, so who really knows.

I did not connect the NSS, simply for a quick test. It is hooked up now. The other sensor, looks like a oil pressure switch, and it is very near the rear of the drive. Hooked up now too. I had to disconnect these, and others, because of the engine removal and I junked the pro-tec, where all the sensors connected to the relay and breakers on a plate below the protec.

Doesn't really matter now. I indexed the pump to the rotation of the repower motor, and it works. Surprised, not really because of all this never really added up in the first place. It works , but forward on throttle puts me in reverse. Prop shopping I go. As near as I can tell, as well as the advice from others on here, my boat likely came with a left engine so I am back to what rotation was intended for this boat.

The engine guy who did the build of the new motor, swore and even compared in front of me my old motors camshaft and crank , it was a left motor, that I am certain of. But the starter from the same motor, was for a counter rotation motor. And the trans pump was indexed to a counter rotation motor, and it worked with the old motor, so I know it was counter rotation. How did this run? Who knows, I think I have it figured out. What a mess.

We can stop the discussion on this topic, I'll post a bit in the "milkshake and blue smoke" thread to update and provide some pics. For now it's prop time, looks like I'll be learning about them now too.

Thanks for all the help so far! If it were not for CCF.com I'd be dead in the water.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 4:05pm
I think youre confusing the v-drive and the transmission. Theyre not the same thing. The trans is either a Velvet Drive (Borg Warner) or a 1:1 PCM 40A, I believe. The Walters would be the v-drive.

I dont know which rotation engine you have/had, but I do know that boat was set up to turn a RH prop from the factory. You cannot mix rotation specific components between RH and LH engines. A LH engine cannot be started with a RH starter (unless mounted 180 degrees differently). The engine will not run backwards!
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 4:46pm
What a mess is an understatement.

So you reindexed the pump and it magically started working? First there was noise and clatter, replaced the damper and then it was dead, now it works but forward/reverse is wrong. The starter, prop and pump indexing all worked originally and now they don't. The engine was LH, no RH, wait... LH but did work as it should, but now it doesn't.

You're absolutely right. We can stop discussion on this topic because it's all fixed now with new prop that will turn the opposite way that the factory engineers intended it to turn and post in the "milkshake and blue smoke" thread???????

I truly wish you the best of luck on this one.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 5:28pm
Yeah,

Left rotating motor, and a righty prop, that is what I was after, and what I will have when the new prop arrives. So, yeah, NOW it is like engineers had planned from the factory, when I replace the prop.   

Not what I had, or maybe I did. Whatever. My current prop is a 14x16 LH, and it isn't right.   Obviously there is quite a bit of miscommunication, but rest easy, I am sorting it out the best I can.

TRBenj,

Yep, velvet 1:1 trans, Walters v-drive.    Thanks for clearing that issue up, and clarifying the RH, from the factory. I was using trans/v-drive as one in the same.

This boat was a basket case when I bought it, and as of now, it would take a very close look to see it is the same boat. Lots of work, and knowledge from here, got it to this point. Oh yeah, a bit of cash too.

hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 5:38pm
If you are gonna spin I righty prop then your motor now is a righty. Reversed rot = rh rot
Brian
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 5:42pm
FWIW, Im not 100% convinced that the motor would have been LH from the factory... I am fairly certain several Excel owners here have reported having RH engines in their boats. There could have been a few different types of v-drives though- so Im far from the expert. Your comment about the engine builder who claims it had a LH cam and a RH starter is particularly troubling... that certainly couldnt have been the case.

They all used RH props though.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 5:53pm
If a VD spins in the reverse rotation of the engine and the engine is in backwards, wouldnta LH engine spin a LH prop?
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 5:59pm
Where is tx foil head? This is his set up. My bfn has a rh reverse rot bbc, Warner 1.1 and Walters 1.21 and spins a rh prop
Brian
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

If a VD spins in the reverse rotation of the engine and the engine is in backwards, wouldnta LH engine spin a LH prop?

Yes... but the real question is whether all v-drives act in the same manner. I suspect the answer is no. I doubt that all the CC v-drives made from the 90's through today are all running reverse rotation engines. Until ~2010, most still swung RH props.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Until ~2010, most still swung RH props.

Nautique is putting out boats with LH props?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Until ~2010, most still swung RH props.

Nautique is putting out boats with LH props?

Yup, several... not sure if its all the v-drives, or just some of them. I know the 200 Sport is one of them, though.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 6:26pm
and they're still RH drives?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic