Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Raw Water Pump Orientation?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raw Water Pump Orientation?
    Posted: June-25-2012 at 3:17pm
Have a 1990 Ski Nautique with PCM Ford 351 engine and Sherwood raw water pump.

Took it out yesterday for the first time in two years and it was overheating, the temp. gauge was bumping up into the 190 - 200 degree range. Thermostat (a 143F model) checks out OK.

Am wondering if the raw water pump was installed backwards when the impeller was changed. How do you check it?

Is it also possible that the circulation pump has gone bad?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas.
1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 4:18pm
It is possible to install the RWP backwards (just reviewed in this thread) but, if that was the case, you wouldn't be getting any cooling. Check all your hose connections from the pump to the through hull. Strainer gaskets are a common problem too. If you suck any air on the suction side of the pump, you will not get the needed water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 4:35pm
Thanks for your reply. Checked with Skidim after my original post and learned that indeed the raw water pump was installed backwards/upside down. The silver screw should be facing away from the motor in this instance. I was the one that changed the impeller last time, so lesson learned...
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by uncle-buck uncle-buck wrote:

The silver screw should be facing away from the motor in this instance.

Are you sure? Sounds backwards to me on a '90 with the 1.23. The screw should face in (towards the motor).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 4:52pm
No, I'm not. Just going by what the man at Skidim told me.
How do I find out for sure?
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 4:56pm
Post the identification number on your engine. My guess is that it starts with PLD.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 5:05pm
Right, it is PLD-PR-R12 294327.
I just cranked it briefly and it is left-hand rotation.
You are correct. Thanks.

Back to the troubleshooting steps...
PCM 351W with D.U.I.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 6:25pm
OK, all of the cooling lines are clear, but there was a loose fitting on the flush kit valve that may have been allowing air into the lines.

Also, it looks like OEM flush kit isn't made anymore.

Which kits are you guys now recommending to replace the factory kit that was made by J. P. Marine Products?
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 1:31pm
Sounds like that flush kit may be the culprit. Many on here don't like them.

Tim made his own flush kit, it's described in this thread:
http://www.nautiqueowner.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13256&PN=1&title=water-hook-up
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Sounds like that flush kit may be the culprit. Many on here don't like them.

Tim made his own flush kit, it's described in this thread:
http://www.nautiqueowner.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13256&PN=1&title=water-hook-up

I also put a T and a hose connection (done this to all my boats and always used plastic with no problem). However, I put my T between the strainer and the transmission, not before the strainer. The reasoning is that with the hose between the strainer and the cooler, when I turn the water on (and before I start the engine), the water from the hose flushes out the strainer and it all drains out through the pick up port. When I'm done, I have a very clean and fresh strainer and I don't even have to open it.

I do not have a quick disconnect. I just have a cap with washer. I have a quick disconnect lying around so I might consider using it. But I like knowing that with the cap, it is not going to leak (assuming I put it on tight and the washer is there).

Also, if you do have a strainer, as an FYI and per a suggestion on the forum, I've put mine nearly upside down. Long story short, we have to get our boats inspected on a repeating basis for quagga/zebra mussels (every two weeks) and the boat has to be bone dry. Someone has said that they might start looking at our strainers, which would then need to be dry as well. By putting it upside down, almost all the junk that gets sucked up just flows out when I pull the boat out of the water, so the strainer stays a lot cleaner (and is easier to pull to dry out before inspections). Granted, there is another second or so when I first launch that the impeller isn't getting water, but it is only for a brief moment so not enough to cause real wear on the impeller (that's my theory anyway). :)
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 9:08pm
Right. Bypassed the flush kit and things improved.
Installed a new raw water pump impeller and problem was solved.
Thanks for all your help!
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by uncle-buck uncle-buck wrote:

Right. Bypassed the flush kit and things improved.
Installed a new raw water pump impeller and problem was solved.
Thanks for all your help!

Bert,
It's great you found the problem. It sure sounds like the flush was the issue. next time, fill us in COMPLETELY!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 11:38pm
Actually, the air leak through the flush kit was only part of the challenge. The other part was a worn out impeller.
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 12:15am
And of course the air leak contributed to premature wear of the impeller..... :)
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic