NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

thermostat

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: thermostat
    Posted: July-16-2012 at 2:05am
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 1:18am
Well I think I found the culprit...the outlet neck of the tranny cooler was kinked/crushed on one side and was allowing air in. I was able to straighten it out for now. Hopefully I won't need a new one. Efficiency test of the RWP passed and tops of risers were much cooler than before. Temp was within normal operating range. All is good for now. Thank you to all your suggestions and help.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2012 at 6:53pm
[QUOTE=teelta] On mine, the o ring mates up to a 1/8" copper/brass plate or gasket and then there is a paper gasket to the rest of the RWP housing. QUOTE]

That is together right. If all else fails it is possible your pulling air by the seal.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2012 at 12:09pm
Pulley alignment is an improvement you can do for belt life, but has nothing to do with the overheating problem.

Good luck finding the air leak.

Don't discount that you could still have old impeller pcs in & around the t'stat, blocking flow.   Could be more than 1 thing going on . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2012 at 9:58am
Sherwood PCM
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2012 at 12:38am
What brand and model of pump?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2012 at 12:31am
On mine, the o ring mates up to a 1/8" copper/brass plate or gasket and then there is a paper gasket to the rest of the RWP housing.
On another note, I noticed that my pulleys don't line up. I wonder if that might cause what fanofccfan was talking about. Once I can get back to it, I'll snap a few pics.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2012 at 12:18am
If the pump has a groove for the o ring I don't think you use a gasket with it too. My Jabsco pump uses a paper gasket,my Dads PCM Sherwood pump uses just the o ring. If you have a Sherwood pump I would use Sherwood impellers too,none of that Sierra brand stuff.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2012 at 5:19pm
I put in new o ring when I had the RWP apart but reused the paper and copper/brass (whatever it is) gasket. Is that OK? I don't think there was a lot of play in the shaft but I can check to make sure. I suspect an air leak too but can't find it. I've tightened down all clamps to the point where the rubber squeezes out.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2012 at 4:45pm
it does sound like an air leak---air is getting in somewhere
This is the life
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2012 at 3:12pm
Per the boat dr..... Check the housing where the shaft of the raw water pump sits in. I had to bore out the pump housing on the back side and insert a 5/8" brass bushing. The hole was oblong and the shaft sat crooked in the pump housing which allowed air to get in between the face plate and the sides of the impeller. My pump increased volume by two after that.   Not saying this is your problem but it fixed me up. Got any pictures of the pump?
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2012 at 2:47pm
Got around to running a few tests...

1. Checked the tranny cooler for blockage - there was nothing at all
2. Did RWP efficiency test. I isolated the RWP by taking off hose of the out side of the tranny cooler and put in a bucket (actually ice chest). Took the hose off the thermo housing from the RWP and put another hose on to extend it. At 3K RPMs I filled up 5 gallon bucket halfway in 15 sec. According to link given earlier in thread, it should have filled up the entire 5 gallon bucket in 15 sec. So I put a new impeller in. Did the same test. Got the same result.
3. Put everything back together - all the hoses back in the right spot. Then disconnected the hose from the out of the water pick up filter and put in the bucket. Tightened up all clamps. Started engine - went to 195 idling. Risers too hot to touch. Shut her down.

Any suggestions? I'm not sure what else to do. I know I need to get hold of a IR temp gun but the engine is obviously getting too hot. I have replaced the thermostat (143). Replaced the impeller. Checked for blockage in the tranny cooler. Checked for air leaks. And she's still running too hot.
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 7:03pm
Thanks for the link. The risers are definitely getting warm - I would say on the verge of hot.
I went to the lake today. The temp stabilized at 170 (cooling to 160 when moving) for a couple of hours. BY early afternoon the temp rose to stabilizing around 180. It is doing better than our last outing when it got to 190-195.
I still need to check out the tranny cooler and run a volume efficiency test on the RWP.    
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 1:26pm
I've been posting this a lot lately, but I feel like it's a good general list of things to check:
Skidim Overheat Troubleshoot

My favorite note, is checking the exhaust risers. Because, if you're getting water through the system, the risers should be warm but not hot, regardless of what the thermostat is doing.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 11:45am
Have you tried the search feature yet?

Follow the 2 hydraulic lines from the tranny; on the other end is the cooler. Pull the water hose(not the tranny lines!) from each end and inspect.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 11:00am
How do you check inside the tranny cooler?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 10:34am
Originally posted by teelta teelta wrote:

I cleaned up the mating surfaces...first with a putty knife, then with a wire brush.

A wire brush is great for cleaning parts in general but not so much for mating faces. They want to stay dead flat. <--for next time   

All the while, I am getting splashes of water out the exhaust rather than a constant stream of water. Not exactly normal right?

That is normal. Water accumulates in the fiberglass mufflers and 'spits' out.

I think you still have something to run down. Have you checked inside the tranny cooler?

1988 BFN-sold

teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 1:52am
It is important to note that I installed a new 143 thermostat, which I tested before hand on the stove. It opened up as it should.
Don't know if this important or not but the water temp from the exhaust was 140.
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 1:25am
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I cleaned up the mating surfaces...first with a putty knife, then with a wire brush. But the good news is the thermo housing is not leaking.
Used the fake-a-lake method b/c that is what I have on hand. I can definitely see the advantage of the bucket method. I'll try that in the near future.
I'm sorry this post is vague. Tell me what info you need and I'll do my best to answer.
This is where I am at now...
I started the engine. The temp ran up to 170 at idle. I reeved up the engine a little and temp went to 180. All the while, I am getting splashes of water out the exhaust rather than a constant stream of water. Not exactly normal right?
I'm planning on trying it out on the lake tomorrow and see what happens.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I concur with both Brain and Greg. Think about this, will the pressure from the hose gives you a false indication of cooling since the boat isn't woking under normal conditions on the water - correct?? I'm going to pull a "79" here but, do you have any friends that can help you?

Did you ever clean up the mating surfaces as recommenced and HOW DID YOU DO IT?????

EDIT: Trey, your profile is very vague!!! Fill us in some more.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 9:13pm
I concur with both Brain and Greg. Think about this, will the pressure from the hose gives you a false indication of cooling since the boat isn't woking under normal conditions on the water - correct?? I'm going to pull a "79" here but, do you have any friends that can help you?

Did you ever clean up the mating surfaces as recommenced and HOW DID YOU DO IT?????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 7:27pm
You're more likely to get a true to life reading my using the bucket method: http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24767&title=how-to-run-your-boat-out-of-water-bucket-method
over using the fake a lake.

The fake a lake could push water into the system, which isn't bad necessarily, but you won't know if your impeller and everything is pulling well enough on its own.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 7:14pm

Is there a procedure or recommendation for testing the temperature on trailer using a fake-a-lake? I replaced the thermo, took out some big flakes of rust in the housing, inspected the impeller (which shows no sign of wear), tightened down all clamps, have good seal on screened filter, tested the RWP to make sure it is pumping water...anything else?

You can get an idea in the driveway, but it won't be under load or pumping completely on its own.
1988 BFN-sold

teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 7:00pm
Is there a procedure or recommendation for testing the temperature on trailer using a fake-a-lake? I replaced the thermo, took out some big flakes of rust in the housing, inspected the impeller (which shows no sign of wear), tightened down all clamps, have good seal on screened filter, tested the RWP to make sure it is pumping water...anything else?
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 6:55pm
I probably put on more than I really needed. It bulged out the sides a bit. Hopefully that won't hurt anything.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 6:44pm

Man does that Permatex stuff ever dry?

No, and it needs to go on thin and even.
1988 BFN-sold

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 6:29pm
I'm not sure if it's supposed to dry...

You haven't been watching it the whole time, have you?!   

I think it's the tackyness that helps keep the paper gasket in place. Kind of like a glue.
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 6:20pm
Man does that Permatex stuff ever dry? It has been on there for over 24 hrs and it is still tacky and smearable...is that a word?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 9:22am

It was leaking bad even after tightening it down some more. I'll try to clean the mating surfaces up a bit more.

I have Gasket Shellac. What about that?

Did you clean up the mating surface at all? Gasket shellac - wow, you are taking me back a few years!! How long have you had that stuff? I'm still a big fan of Permatex #2 non hardening. Yes, it too has been around for many years but it does work. No on the silicone in this application!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WLM 1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WLM 1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 11:47pm
At my buddys shop On marine, Jet Skis and Motorcycles we use ThreeBond 1211 gasket sealer as do most of the shops in the area. And for silicone gasket maker we use Toyota FIPG gasket maker available at toyota dealers
Its a lot better than permatex.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic