Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

94 sanger Open bow vs SN 91 Sport

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JohnSFbay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSFbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 94 sanger Open bow vs SN 91 Sport
    Posted: July-03-2012 at 1:00pm
I have 1991 Sport (620) hours that will need new upholstrey and carpet after this summer. Boat runs great. Somebody wants to trade me for his 1994 Ski Sanger open bow (800) hours, interior in good shape, only one small tear. Carpet in good shape, runs good. Steering assembly recently replaced.

I know that this is nautique forum. But maybe somebody has a technical opinion about which is a better boat.
JohnSFbay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSFbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2012 at 2:08pm
Need advice...
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2012 at 2:17pm
This discussion might help somewhat, at least some food for thought:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25215

Something to keep in mind, your 91 Sport has wood stringers, and could potentially rot. If the Sanger is all composite, that would probably be a good deal for you, but I don't know the facts on the Sanger.

So you foot a lot? Sangers are known to be good barefoot boats, but your Sport might have a better Wakeboarding wake.

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2012 at 2:36pm
Throw up some pics of both, for fun, and maybe it'll help some comment a little.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2012 at 2:38pm
I got to see a '92 Ski Sanger up close on Sunday in Wisconsin. Beautiful boat. The guy that owned it cruised up to us to check my boat out, and see if we could provide a driver and spotter to help him with his Sky Ski habit. My son's were glad to oblige, and got a lesson on how to Sky Ski as part of the deal.

I don't think Sanger ever went to composite stringers, but, they supposedly use a proprietary treatment in which they claim their wood stringers will not rot. It is a trade I would consider. Just depends how attached you are to your Sport.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2012 at 2:52pm
Another factor is engines? You mentioned both run good, but horsepower output?
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2012 at 3:29pm
I think I need some more detail before being able to answer your questions.
What model Sanger are we talking about here? What engine is in each boat? What would you mostly be using the boat for? Slalom, wakeboarding, barefoot, general cruising? How many people would you be mostly bringing along with you? Have you driven the Sanger at all?

Yes, this is a CC forum and I don't own a CC. I also don't own a Sanger. That being said, if I was to win a lottery today and I could buy literally any boat of my dreams, it would be a Sanger DXII Barefooter. No question, hands down and not even think twice about it. But I am a barefooter and the Sanger is the cream of the crop as far as barefoot boats are concerned.
I've been in a lot of Sangers. Same for CC's. Both make phenominal boats. The fit, finish, drivability, skiability and quality of construction are extremely well done in each one so if anybody tries to tell you that one is any better than the other construction and quality wise, I would challenge that all day.

You need to be able to honestly answer the questions and then hopefully we can help steer you in the right drection.   
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 1:57am
All Sangers have wooden stringers.
A brand new Sanger has wooden stringers.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

JohnSFbay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSFbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 2:20am
The Sport Nautique is a 91 which also has wood stringers. The engine is a PCM 351

The Sanger is a Mercruiser 350
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 2:29am
Got any pictures of the Sanger and the Sport Nautique?
JohnSFbay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSFbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 2:47am
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 3:21am
Nice looking boat ! Not overly fond of the blacked out windshield, if thats what that is. A little hard to tell from the picture.

Which way are you leaning on the trade?
JohnSFbay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSFbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 3:42am
As long as everything checks out with the Sanger I m sticking to my word and taking it. Its tough decision. The Sport Nautique runs so strong and it leaves a pretty sick wake.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 4:57am
How is the slalom wake on the Sport Nautique? I assume you are talking about the wakeboard wake??
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 12:42pm
Makes be wonder why the guy with the Sanger wants to trade. Seems like a better deal for you.

I'm guessing the Sport would put out a better Wakeboard wake, that's probably the thing. Is the Sanger owner a wakeboarder?
JohnSFbay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSFbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 1:31pm
Yes, very much so. Is that wake that much better? What is that guy talking about when he says that model is no longer available?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 1:35pm
That's a spammer....pay no attention to his comment.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

I think I need some more detail before being able to answer your questions.
What model Sanger are we talking about here? What engine is in each boat? What would you mostly be using the boat for? Slalom, wakeboarding, barefoot, general cruising? How many people would you be mostly bringing along with you? Have you driven the Sanger at all?

Yes, this is a CC forum and I don't own a CC. I also don't own a Sanger. That being said, if I was to win a lottery today and I could buy literally any boat of my dreams, it would be a Sanger DXII Barefooter. No question, hands down and not even think twice about it. But I am a barefooter and the Sanger is the cream of the crop as far as barefoot boats are concerned.
I've been in a lot of Sangers. Same for CC's. Both make phenominal boats. The fit, finish, drivability, skiability and quality of construction are extremely well done in each one so if anybody tries to tell you that one is any better than the other construction and quality wise, I would challenge that all day.

You need to be able to honestly answer the questions and then hopefully we can help steer you in the right drection.   

Well, Eddie, I'll challenge you. I usually agree with you, but not in this case. Yes, Sanger is one of the best, if not the best barefoot boat on the market. There's nothing particularly wrong with a Sanger. However, the fit and finish are not in the same league as a Correct Craft - not even close (or Mastercraft or Malibu for that matter). Sanger's also steer like crap in comparison to a Correct Craft. But, they don't steer any worse than Centurions or a lot of other other brands that folks use every day with no issue. BKH
Livin' the Dream

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 11:54am
Brian,
I can only go by what I've driven and skied. But I also admit that the only Sangers I'm familiar with are the Barefoot boats of inboard and outboard variety. Overall quality have been top notch in every one that I've experienced. Steering has also not been an issue in any of the inboards I've driven. Outboards are a different story but that's apples vs. oranges. I've been impressed. Maybe it was just the owners who have tweaked them to that point but then, I find it hard to believe that they drive so similar then.

I certainly respect your opinion when it comes to different boats as I don't know of many people who know so much about so many different boat manufacturers.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 12:30pm
The DLX takes a lot of weight to build up a good wake, I used to drive my buddy around with about 4k in the boat. Now he's a barefooter!

Their vinyl is cheaper, foam is thin. Carpet is carpet, Mercruisers are just fine, and their trailers are C channel open frame (last forever, like the old CC trailers). I've driven no inboard that handled as nicely as a Correct Craft.

Correct Craft, Sanger and American Skier are my top 3.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 1:34pm
At the end of the day, I don't have any issue with either of those boats. I'm a Correct Craft guy, and absent some unbelievable deal, I don't see myself owning a Sanger, but that's ok. One of my neighbors is the exclusive distributor for every Sanger made, and they are built about 100 miles from my house, so as you might imagine, there are a lot of them in our area. I've certainly looked at Sangers as an option for my brother who is in the market.

What I don't get is this trade proposal. What's motivating the Sanger owner to make this trade? The 89-92 Sport is a fine boat, but it's not typically considered one of the most desirable Correct Crafts ever made. The Sanger has a bit more room in it, handles rough water probably better than the CC, is faster, is comparable in wakeboarding, and is poorer in waterskiing. Overall, kind of a big wash.

So, what's wrong with that Sanger? Or, why does the owner want out? Does he or she just have some special desire to own a 91 sport?    I don't know. I'm just not immediately seeing the need for a trade.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by JohnSFbay JohnSFbay wrote:

As long as everything checks out with the Sanger I m sticking to my word and taking it. Its tough decision. The Sport Nautique runs so strong and it leaves a pretty sick wake.

I'd like to hear why the other guy wants to trade too. I'd also want to hear why you want to trade. It sounds like the reason from your end is you trade a boat that need an interior for one that doesn't need an interior. Not a bad idea, plus getting a boat a few years newer. But, your Sport "runs so strong", you know exactly what's right and wrong with it, so you ought to spend some time in the Sanger to find out what's right and wrong with that boat.

Have you driven the Sanger, skied or boarded or footed (not sure what you like to do) behind it? If you have, and like the boat, then I don't see a reason not to make the trade.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 12:28am
Is there foam in the 91 Sport? If there is then that might be a good reason to go to the Sanger.

I'm looking for a good reason to trade too????
This is the life
JohnSFbay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSFbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 4:47am
Why do you ask about the foam? what does that mean?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 5:47am
why do you want to trade?

do a search on foam here if you don't know about foam

if you do go for the Sanger you could get it checked out first in downtown San Jose at Topside Marine, they know Sangers real well.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 6:12am
Does the Sanger have the cavitation plate? That changes the wake alot
This is the life
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 10:15am
Originally posted by JohnSFbay JohnSFbay wrote:

Why do you ask about the foam? what does that mean?

The foam traps water which not only adds weight to the hull, but tends to rot the wood stringers much sooner than a non-foam boat.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
john10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 7:04am
I'd love to but we don't do to many road trips. We keep it on a lift at belew's almost year round. Your welcome to a pull if your ever up this way though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 4:53pm
So John did you get the Sanger?
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic