Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 barracuda stringer prep

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
defsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 barracuda stringer prep
    Posted: July-10-2012 at 12:31am
I have been reading a lot about mustang rebuilds of the same year. would the stringer height be different on the barracuda with the deeper hull?
1969 barracuda
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 8:47am
Don't plan on using any Mustang dimentions for reference as the stringers are different. Go by what you have in the Cuda.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
defsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 9:10am
Ok thanks Pete they are in really bad shape not sure if I will be able to make a template out of them. also my boat rests on the back outside edges of the boat so if I support the front out side edges will that be sufficient? I'm preparing the boat for a stringer job next season should i winterize the motor before pulling it from the boat?

what size Douglas fur will I be looking for? any links to a job like this would be great! I was thinking 2/12/12 for mains? or can I get away with 2/10/12.

1969 barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 10:05am
Bryan,
Some propping up of the hull woun't hurt but the first generation glass hulls where pretty thick and stiff.

As mentioned, start getting measurement on the stringers and go from them. I fell the 12" and even the 10" may be wider than needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 2:02pm
Bryan,
I replaced the stringer in my 66 Cuda a couple of years ago and had an
active forum showing the progress and processes I used. I have not been
able to find the forum, not sure what happened to it.
My stringers were really bad but I was able to carefully remove the
floor and then decide which stringer was best to use for measurements.
I then cleared all foam away from that stringer while trying to leave as
much wood in place as I could. When it was clear, I was able to get the measurements and make a complete stringer. Then mirrored it for the other side.
I think that I used the 2/10 Douglas Fur but I think that I had to go 14ft in length as the 12s were too short.
1st is to get the motor out (yes, winterize it before removing).
2nd is to get the floor out and then you will have direction.
Pictures of progress are very important for recommendations from the forum.
Good luck .....
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
defsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2012 at 9:08pm
what should I know before pulling the motor? is there any serious issues I should look out for?
can I move the boat on the trailer with the stringers out if I must?

I don't have the room or the money to do this project over the winter. so I was thinking I would pull the engine and prep the inside as much as possible. collecting the supplies and money will be my priority this year if i could pull the stingers and make the new stringers over the winter that would be great but I would be forced to move the boat to the garage for the winter with no stringers. The move would only be about 20 feet but I don't want to do any lasting harm. can this be done?
1969 barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2012 at 10:24pm
Bryan,
Pulling a engine is really "straight forward". You have mounts, prop shaft, exhaust hoses, cooling hoses and wiring. Lift slowly and look to see if anything is still connected. If you have any wiring that isn't connected via plug connectors, label it.

Don't worry about the hull with no stringers going 20 feet. As mentioned, those 1st generation hulls are tough.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2012 at 10:26pm
The old hulls are alot thicker and stronger than the newer ones.If you were worried,you could build some supports to prop the hull up in the area below where the back of the windshield stops,since your trailer does not support the hull as far up as a factory one.It will be sitting awhile before you can get back to it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
defsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 12:15pm
In bad shape

1969 barracuda
defsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 12:17pm
1969 barracuda
defsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 12:18pm
1969 barracuda
defsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 12:20pm
as you can see their is a hole where I was grinding out a crack. the crack is how I discovered the wet rotten stringers.
1969 barracuda
defsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 12:21pm
1969 barracuda
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic