NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

trailer bow stop question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trailer bow stop question
    Posted: November-06-2005 at 5:20pm
Does anyone know where I can get a bow stop like the newer trailers have? I guess thats what its called, Im not familiar with the technical name for this. Basically I want to replace the dumb wooden padded board. Its a 76 Mustang 17 trailer. Its a pain trying to load it compared to the high mounted bow stop at the rub rail. I figured someone sold one cheaper than the time for me to fabricate one. I would, but just dont have the time. Thanks for any input!!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2005 at 5:46pm
Hey Jeff,

I'm confused. I think you are referring to the crash pads. However, most of the trailers have "wooden padded boards" on the crash pad. I guess I can't visualize what you
have vs. what you want. Do you have a photo?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2005 at 6:18pm
I dont have a photo handy, but I can snap a shot. My trailer has a 2x10 or so wooden board that is carpeted that the boat rests against just under the tow hook. I keeps the boat from rcoking forward and back, but most importantly, it keeps the boat from drifting forward on the trailer if you stop hard. The newer trailers Ive seen have a steel frame with a padded V of carpeted wood on the frame that goes against the rub rail. This allows the boat driver to plant the boat on the trailer without having to get out and lift the bow up to get the tow hook over the board. I have to bury the trailer and rear of the truck in the water to get enough height to put it on that crazy board.
The board is nothing but a horizonal piece of wood that piviots on 2 brackets that come up from the trailer frame. If its still kinda confusing, I will shoot a pic and send it to you. Thanks....
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2005 at 7:30pm
you mean like this ?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2005 at 7:33pm
Now I can picture it. I've seen those, but never on an inboard.    The bow stops you want are commonly called crash pads. I don't know the technical name. I did some looking around on some sites I know, but didn't see the part you are looking for. A couple of suggestions.

1) look for a trailer salvage yard, and cut one off. There is one in Sacramento, see www.boatrecycling.com

2) There is a guy on the Mastercraft owners
site (tmcowners.com) who calls himself Brioed.
He removed that bogus bar and hook system from his MC trailer and did a nice job installing a stop and winch system. He posted pictures of what he did. You might find it helpful.

3) Rather than backing the boat in deeper, try
backing it in less. This way the front of your bunks are further out of the water, and pushes the front of the boat up as you come onto the trailer. You do need to throttle up the bunks, but generally the ring clears. Never tried it with a trailer like yours, but it's about the only way to get the hook over those dumb trailer buddies that MC uses.

I wish I could be more help, but I struck out.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2005 at 8:21pm
Thanks ultrahots and bkhallpa**!! You guys are great!! ultrahots, thats exactly what I want thats in your picture! I will see if I can take a pic and let you guys see what I have. Its factory CC and the 74 Mustang 17 trailer has the same. As far as not driving it as deep in the water, and running it up, I tried it and there too much resistance and ruins the carpet. It almost takes 3/4 throttle to do as it pushes the vehicle!!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2005 at 8:43pm
I found a pic I can send you bkhallpa**, but I have to email it. Im not set up to send it to the forums yet. I sent one to you ultrahots. Thanks guys again!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2005 at 11:10pm
Jeff, your trailer probably looks like this.

Seems as though, just remove the current
setup, weld a rectangular frame, weld
it on the trailer about a foot forward
of the old setup so it touches the rubrail,
and add a couple of carpeted plywood crash
pads. Doesn't look like it would be too hard.

Livin' the Dream

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2005 at 7:24pm
bkhallpa**, I dont know if its my computer, but I cant open the link to the pic. ?? I might decide to build one like you suggested. I just need to find some extra time. Thanks again..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2005 at 8:51pm
Yeah, sorry Jeff, there is a 1968 Barracuda
for sale in the diaries section. The guy has
what I'm sure is the same type of trailer setup as you have. When I tried to transfer
the photo, I suspect the file size was too big.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2005 at 1:31pm
WHAT YOU HAVE WAS THE STOCK STOP ON YOUR TRAILER AT THE TIME. THE BOW STOP IN THE PICTURES WAS A OPTION AT THE TIME. THEY WERE A PAIN BECAUSE THE BOW EYE WOULD CATCH ON THE BOARD. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE SOMEBODY COPY FROM THE PICTURE A NEW BOW STOP.
woodyelc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2005 at 7:11pm
bkhallpass, the 68 barracuda that you mentioned is it. Its the same thing with the board that pivots. If you notice how the bow hook is above the board. this is what makes it difficult to load. We never seem to get the bow resting on the board the first time, so I end up moving the truck forward and slamming on the brakes to slide the boat forward. If your not carefull, you can go too hard and break the board.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic