NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any Jeep guys around?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Jeep guys around?
    Posted: July-14-2012 at 12:20am
Hey guys, I know I have been absent from the forums for a while. Seems life has been getting busier and busier (I am sure it is the same for everyone). In the last year and a half, my wife and I have had a beautiful baby girl, moved from Arkansas to Michigan, sold a house, bought a house, started two new jobs, bought a boat and just recently, bought a Jeep.

I bought the Jeep as a surprise gift for my wife's 30th birthday. Needless to say, she was very surprised. It is a 1978 CJ7 with a AMC 304 V8. No top, no doors, no radio, no AC (or heat for that matter), just man (or woman in this case), machine, the wind and the road. Anyway, when I bought it, it had manual brakes and steering. The steering she can live with, the brakes, she could not. So I swapped out the master cylinder with a new one and a booster. Took it for a test drive and the front drivers side (disk brake) was dragging so bad it started smoking and pulling. It would pull before the booster, but only when braking. I decided the calipers were probably original so I decided to replace both front calipers and flex lines with new ones. Seems to have helped a lot with the brake performance and the pulling, however, the front left still seems to be dragging at least a little. After my test drive, I jacked it back up and tried spinning the wheels by hand and it spun, but would stop quickly, within half a rotation.

Anyone out there have any experience with Jeeps, or even brakes in general? I know we have a pretty knowledgeable and diverse group here, so I thought it worth a shot. To me, that still seems to be too much drag and on a longer drive would probably heat up again.

Thanks guys. Hope everyone is doing well. I know I still owe pics of the new boat. Been too busy trying to use it and never seems to get any pics. I will soon.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 1:11am
I know from building hot rods we use resiudal valves and proportioning valves for power brakes. The residuals are because the master is at the same level or maybe eeven lower than the brakes the proportional regulates how much pressure goes to the f vs r. Maybe this could be an issue with your conversion
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 1:43am
How is the clearance from pad to rotor when you assembled it?

If you are looking at a case of the brake caliper not releasing properly,look to the slides. Although I restored a 72' cj5 years ago I cannot remember the method of slides used on them.

Anyway if it were me, I'd disassemble and check the slide action, as well as has the fastening point. Had that jeep seen any off road driving a large rock can bend the "tabs" how the caliper mounts making the caliper lopsided and not slide back.

If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 1:46am
One other thought, check the rotor for warping. You might have caused it, but I know many need to resurfaced when bought new.
Something about the metal in China.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 2:25am
I'm using a phone so forgive me in advance. One thing to make sure is that you have the correct master cyl. Drum brake masters have a check valve in them discs do not. I did a conversion on a vw bug and had to either use the correct master or pull the check valve. Drum brakes use a spring to retract the shoes,disc's use the piston seal to retract the piston any restriction then can hang them up. Then because of the drag the fluid heats and expands and makes the brakes drag more. One thing you can try first is once it's dragging, open the bleader and see if pressure releases.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 8:26am
I think Gary has it.

One thing I can add..
If you reused the pads..
I had a k20 that seized a calliper, rebuilt it three times and would sieze and not retract after first application of brakes. Tried a new calliper, same thing!
Well pads had plenty of material, but first seizure wore the pads slightly uneven, so when I applied brakes, the piston would rock in the bore and not retract.
New pads solved that issue, but quite fustrating.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 11:05am
Wow. Lots of stuff I did not think of.

Kevin-There is a proportioning valve in the system already. I have wondered if they go bad?

Seth-
There was a HUGE clearance when I put the new calipers on...I mean like 1/2" before the piston even touched the pad. The "slide" on these is a little different than I have ever seen. There are no pins. The calipers slide back and forth on the bracket and there is a wedge that you drive between the caliper and bottom of the bracket to hold everything in place. it is supposed to slide on this wedge and the top of the bracket. nowhere near as efficient as pins. i greased everything up, so its about as good as its going to get.

Gary-
I will double check, but I bought the master as a combo with the booster from a jeep website and it specifically stated disc/drum set up. Only thing I could think of is maybe the lines are connected tot he wrong ports on the master, but they are different sizes and I just connected to the corresponding ports.
Boats:
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 11:06am
Tom-
I will look into that too.
Boats:
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 2:40pm
Oh yes, that is what I thought, about the slides being the drive in pins.
I hate those, still today.

Yeah, not sure about the booster/master comment as one side is working and rears are assumed to be working.

I read you replaced the lines, but have you done them completely to the master? I have run across several of the flexible lines that would allow pressure to the caliper but not in reverse. Something to do with internal delamination. Not sure if steel could cause the same reaction.

Even a kink in the line can do that. You seem smart enough to check for that though.

Have you tried to release the bleeder to see if pressure is holding it up?   If you open the screw and it releases, you can rule out slide/mounting issue. Even though it sounds like it's your problem.

Do the bleeder test and see where that leads.    

I still have trouble sometimes with those old dodge brakes, and if you had to beat the pins in, well, there is your problem.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 2:50pm
Opps, I meant to say,

I think you probably have the right master and booster, but it could be malfunctioning. I have never seen a master malfunction that way, nor a booster. How did the new set up bleed out? Normal? The front left should just about pour out of the bleeder.

Not real sure on the exact set up on the jeep, but was the rod adjustable, and the fit and connections did they seem "right"

Look to the lines for kinks, old sections, slides, mounting, and possibly a bad caliper, that is how I would approach it in that order.

bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by azeus17 azeus17 wrote:

Wow. Lots of stuff I did not think of.

Kevin-There is a proportioning valve in the system already. I have wondered if they go bad?

You can probably rule out the proportioning valve as most I have seen only control front vs. rear, and not side to side.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic