Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie......simple pylon question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
clattin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clattin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie......simple pylon question
    Posted: July-16-2012 at 1:46pm
Looking at picking up a 79 Southwind and I have a very basic, simple question.

The pylon for attaching the ski rope to is right up front by the windshield......won't that be a problem for people sitting on the rear bench while someone is skiing?

Thanks!
Chris
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 1:53pm
Yes. Dont let anyone sit in the back seat when pulling someone.
clattin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clattin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 1:59pm
hmmmm....then that makes me less interested in this boat. I want something that we can use together as a family and it doesn't have an open bow.

Thanks!
Chris
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 2:06pm
Chris,
I'd say at least 90% of the boats CC have made through the years are ski boats. The center pylon is the normal position for a ski boat. If you are concerned, then you should be looking at an I/O.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
clattin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clattin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 2:13pm
Is there a way to move it to the back of the boat so that all the seats can be used while someone is skiing?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 2:17pm
If youre more concerned about everyone having a comfortable seat than you are about the skier's experience, then Im guessing you'll be doing some (very) recreational skiing?

If so, then a v-drive would be your best bet- or like Pete said, possibly an I/O.
clattin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clattin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 2:19pm
Not so much about comfort but rather having more than one other person in the boat when someone is out on the rope.

What's a v-drive? Pardon the ignorance.....
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 2:35pm
Use the rear lift ring if the boat is full
Brian
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 2:38pm
Thats not made for side loads,you can crack the deck.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
clattin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clattin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 2:38pm
Great idea!
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 2:42pm
It may nit be but I've never cracked one even towing 6000 lb boats. Wouldnt scare me a bit
Brian
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 2:46pm
Ive seen more than a few CC's with cracked gel around the lifting ring.

Why not have people sit on the floor on either side of the engine box (facing the skier)?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by clattin clattin wrote:

Great idea!

No, it's not a good idea. I'm with Gary and Tim on this one. The lifting rings are made for vertical loading only.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by clattin clattin wrote:

What's a v-drive? Pardon the ignorance.....

A v-drive is an inboard boat, but the engine is in the rear of the boat (like an inboard/outboard) but the engine is mounted drive shaft forward. The drive train goes through a "v-drive" gear box that reverses the direction of the drive shaft out the bottom of the boat.

Popular with wakeboarders because of a larger wake and popular with anybody because there is an open cockpit for passesngers (like an I/O) and the ski pull is behind all the passengers. Down side is they are not as good ski boat (due to larger wake) and since they are a relatively new phenomena, they are newer and pricier.

not sure of your priorities. If its a fun filled family day on the water with comfort for all with pulling folks around, an I/O migth be better. If its water sports (skiing/boarding) then you might want to stick with the inboard and get an open bow or v-drive or a boat with both.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 3:37pm
if you are really interested in a particular boat, you could get a super delux boom mount(SDBM) and use a fly-hi pole to get the rope angle above the back seat passenger's head.   The pole is commonly used for wakeboarding for a higher rope end connection point.   I don't see why it wouldn't work for skiers too.    Also, if you like the skiability of an inboard , you could get one with a tower installed, same goal as a fly hi, but more permanantly attached.
clattin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clattin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 3:43pm
All food for thought.....thanks again for the great info!

Decisions decisions!

hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 3:47pm
The south wind is a taller boat therefore may have a taller pylon, sit with back against engine cover, butt on floor and feet up on the seat. Our sw had no pylon so everything went on the lift eye
Brian
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

I don't see why it wouldn't work for skiers too.    

Fly-Highs are not supposed to be used for skiing or tubing as the lateral pulls can be excessive and not what they are designed for. Of course if its rookie skiers that arent going to be pulling much laterally, it would probably be fine.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

I don't see why it wouldn't work for skiers too.    

Fly-Highs are not supposed to be used for skiing or tubing as the lateral pulls can be excessive and not what they are designed for. Of course if its rookie skiers that arent going to be pulling much laterally, it would probably be fine.

good to know....   I have a fly hi, but have not used it yet.   I like to ski off the pylon. Since this is the case, a tower might be a better option as there aren't such restrictions on a tower.    

Just curious, is the lateral pull of a decent skier really that much more than a wake boarder ripping it up?   I guess I wouldn't consider myself more than just a mediocre recreational skier, but I don't like pulling the stern of the boat around (has happened quite a bit with the I/o's I've skied behind) so I certainly see your point
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 4:39pm
It is a trade off. Skiers prefer small wakes and adding people adds ballast creating a bigger wake. Wakeboarders love this so the more the merrier as far as passengers go.
Either opt for the less comfortable floor seating or leave a couple people on shore during the skiing and put them back in the comfy seats for crusing if you want a mid engine boat. Otherwise go for the V drive which will have a less desireable wake but ability to have company on board while skiing. Alot will depend ond your skiing, whether strictly recreational or more aggresive.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 4:58pm
I would two ski behind a hi pole if you want but if you are to go out and rip it on a slalom ski not only putting pressure on the pylon where it shouldn't be but your skiing experience is going to suck. You can pull a boat all over heck when you're on the hi pole. Top of the pole can move a foot easy both ways (due to boat rock, not pylon movement) if you're cutting on it.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 1:44pm
I've been using my high pole, a Flightpipe, for a few weeks now. I've pulled some kids and adults on 2 skis attaching not at the top, but the adjustable 2nd tow point maybe a 12-14" down from the top, people could still sit in the back with plenty of rope clearance. Based on what I see and feel for side loads, I would not pull anything but a learning slalom skier on it.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

Use the rear lift ring if the boat is full

Never heard "vertical load only" thing and sounds plausible, but I would say this. A pylon offers a better ski experience but often hard to locate. My brother just found a pylon for his 72 Southwind 20 but prior to that for over 10 years has used the rear ring to pull skiers countless hundreds of times (lives on lake) with no ill effect to the boat whatsoever. In fact, recently pulled up 8 at one time, of varied size and age.

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 12:38am
Could the rope be attached to the pylon, but routed thru the lift ring? I wouldn't think the resultant side load would be detrimental.

Chris - get the Southwind, not a VDrive or I/O.

Direct drive inboards are a pc of cake to maintain.

The others are harder to access the mechanicals.

Warning - if the SW is all original, it will be due for new stringers - a $1500+ endeavor.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2012 at 12:13pm
I'd like to add one more important safety piece on towing from the rear lift ring.   

In extreme cases (or smaller inboards) towing the load at the lift ring above the rudder can greatly reduce or eliminate steering all together. First time you experience it is scarey as heck!

Shouldn't be an issue with a Southwind but definitely something to be aware of from a physics stand point.
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic