Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

vibrations

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 5:43pm
Pete, got it! Thanks so much for your help!!!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 5:10pm
Trey,
When you install the new shaft with the new cutlas in the strut, you will be able to tell if the stut is bent or needs to be aligned. Again, alignment starts at the strut. It's aligned so the shaft is roughly in the middle of the shaft log and when the shaft turns freely.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by teelta teelta wrote:

Could the bad cutlass bearing and bad prop cause the bent shaft?

No

Putting the RUDDER back in do I need to tighten the packing nut or leave it alone?

Yes, adjust the packing gland on the rudder port.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Trey,
When you put ether the old straightened shaft or the ARE shaft in, you'll need to do an alignment. Remember alignment starts at the trut. Pay real close attention to it as it may be bent - shafts don't bend by themselves so I wonder if the strut took a hit too.

As long as the shaft is out, you might as well put a new cutlas bearing in plus it's bad anyway.

Packing in the stuffing box is optional but if you do go with the ARE, I'd repack it with the Gortex. That of course needs to be done after the shaft is installed.

The strut looks straight. Could the bad cutlass bearing and bad prop cause the bent shaft?

The bearing is on its way as is the Gortex 3/16".

Putting the RUDDER back in do I need to tighten the packing nut or leave it alone?
ThatNautiqueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNautiqueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:58pm
Sweet! Thanks guys!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

CorrectCraftParts...1-318-299-8547... Karen

JB,
I agree.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:44pm
CorrectCraftParts...1-318-299-8547... Karen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNautiqueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:36pm
What is your recommendation for the best place to buy the shaft system?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by ThatNautiqueGuy ThatNautiqueGuy wrote:

Do you think all this should be fixed before sale?

JB,
If you are planning on selling the boat, fix the problem. Anyone looking at it and most likely wanting a water test, will want a BIG $$$$ discount in it's present condition. I'm sure way beyond what you put into it with the repair.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNautiqueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:13pm
Awesome video. I know now mine is bent. I dry started it (yes I know thats a big no no) for about 5 seconds and you can see a visible wobble in the end of the shaft I would say about 1/4 inch. We both know... not good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNautiqueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:06pm
Thanks Peter... I plan on straightening the strut myself with my press. Going to get the prop fixed in Hot Springs. Do you think all this should be fixed before sale?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:05pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:01pm
JB,
Struts can be straightened. Some here have done it themselves with the aid of a press and others have sent them out. Many prop shops will do it since they know how to deal with the brass.

When the time comes to put it all back together, you may find the alignment video in the forums "new" section (about 3/4s the way down the page) helpful.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNautiqueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 2:51pm
I am finding all this highly educational since I hit a stump on the lake a few weeks ago in my 75 Ski Nautique. I have massive vibration... cannot go over 4mph. prop bent, strut bent and I believe the shaft is as well. I have restored this boat and it is awesome. Wanting to sell it now and move on to my next project. If you guys know of anyone that might be interested let me know... Also thanks for the info guys.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 2:50pm
Trey,
When you put ether the old straightened shaft or the ARE shaft in, you'll need to do an alignment. Remember alignment starts at the trut. Pay real close attention to it as it may be bent - shafts don't bend by themselves so I wonder if the strut took a hit too.

As long as the shaft is out, you might as well put a new cutlas bearing in plus it's bad anyway.

Packing in the stuffing box is optional but if you do go with the ARE, I'd repack it with the Gortex. That of course needs to be done after the shaft is installed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 2:30pm
Yea, I'll definitely go ARE - not much difference in price anyway.

I dropped the rudder. When I'm ready to put it back in can I just put it back in there or do I need to adjust (tighten) the packing nut? Should I go ahead and replace the rope in there or leave it alone?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 12:21pm
Trey,
Sorry but the picture must be deceptive since it does look like the shaft has slid aft in the coupling. The shaft only needs to be flush with the inside face of the coupling.
Some have had good luck with shaft straightening others have not. There are times when the shaft wants to go back to the bent position.
If you do go new, I highly recommend the ARE double taper system. The taper at the couplng makes R&Ring the shaft easy. No heat shrink which can be a PITA.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 12:07pm
Thanks Pete. There was no black smut when I disconnected. The shaft end goes all the way (flush) to the end (inside) of the coupler. Does it supposed to go further past the coupler? I wonder if the pic is deceptive to the eye. The shiny part in the middle is the end of the shaft not the inside of the coupler.

No I didn't put feeler gauge on the coupler when I opened it up. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a new shaft. I got up to .030 run out in some sections. Can it be straightened or do I buy new one?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 9:35am
Trey,
That key should be all the way in the shaft keyway but worse, it looks like you are losing the shaft in the coupling. It was ether not installed properly or due to bad alignment the shaft and coupling have fretted. Was there a black smut around the interface btween the coupling and the shaft? It's a good indicator of fretting. That coupling fit to the shaft is critical. It's a heat shrink .000" to -.0005" fit. I suggest removing the coupling and getting some measurements on the shaft OD and coupling bore. You may need a new coupling and have it bored to match the shaft. The straightness of the shaft needs to be checked as well. It should not run out more than .003". Check at the prop taper too especially since the prop is bad.

When you opened up the coupling, did you take the feeler gauges out and check the alignment?

Some heat may be needed and wouldn't hurt on the cast brass but it's not always needed. Think about it this way - they bent when they were in cold water!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 1:16am

Uncoupled the shaft and found the key sticking out like this. Does it supposed to be like that?

The fins are cast brass right? Do they need to be heated before bending?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 9:56am
Trey,
Even with a bad cutlass, you should be able to get a good idea if there is a shaft problem just by holding the shaft to one side of the cutlass bearing.

That collar is the safety collar. It's there so if you break the shaft or it comes out of the coupling you won't loose the shaft plus the prop won't hit the rudder.

Yes, the fins can be straightened. The best way is off the boat in a press but I do know some have straightened them on the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 12:15am
Got the prop off and will be off for repair soon. I put a dial indicator on the shaft - I wanted to see if the shaft is wobbly or bent. Is it pointless to put a dial indicator on there with a bad cutlass bearing because I got .012 movement from rotation in front of the bearing and .006 after? I could get that much movement just by moving the shaft up and down. This is without the prop on.

What is the torque on the bolts for the strut? and what about coupler?

Should this collar be there? It has 2 set screws in it. If so, what is it's purpose?

Also, any suggestions on how to get these fins straight?

teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 10:59pm
Actually I think I understand the process pretty well. What I need more is...what do I need to replace or consider while in the process (i.e, upgrades, shaft seal, etc)...still intimidated by the shaft/ strut alignment :)
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 10:40pm
Sorry for the double post - it was by accident. Tried to delete - couldn't figure out how though.

I am considering doing this myself - just a bit intimidated by the shaft removal and/or alignment prospect. Plus I'm having hard time finding clear instructions on how to do it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 10:04pm
Trey,
Ether method is fine and each has it's pros and cons. Getting the shaft out can be a PITA but you don't loose the strut alignment. Taking the strut off you can loose the alignment. When he puts the strut back on, he should unbolt the coupling halves and make sure the shaft is happy (turns freely) when the strut is tightened up. He may find shims under the strut and those should go back in. While he's into it, I highly recommend he checks the shaft to engine alignment.

WHY are you not doing this yourself????

BTW, remove your double post.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 9:58pm
I got an estimate on replacing cutlass bearing. Mechanic said he would take off the strut rather than take out the shaft. That sounds a little easier to me as long as the strut gets lined back up right. Is this an acceptable way to replace the cutlass bearing? or just a lazy mechanic? :) What is involved in getting the strut lined back up?
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 9:57pm
I got an estimate on replacing cutlass bearing. Mechanic said he would take off the strut rather than take out the shaft. That sounds a little easier to me as long as the strut gets lined back up right. Is this an acceptable way to replace the cutlass bearing? or just a lazy mechanic? :) How hard is it to get the strut lined back up?
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 7:33pm
OK thanks...

I've read some posts on how to get the shaft out but still don't have a good picture of how it is done. Step by step instructions and some pictures or drawings would help. Sorry...I'm really new to inboards.

What else should be changed while the shaft is out? And what else should I consider in the process (i.e., upgrades, etc.)?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 7:15pm

I got an estimate of $125 to repair prop with a 3-4 day turn around. Is that reasonable?

Yes that sounds like the going price. Typically they will want to inspect the prop and confirm the price. If the damage is real bad but still reparable, then the cost may go up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 7:12pm
I got an estimate of $125 to repair prop with a 3-4 day turn around. Is that reasonable?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic