Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Low profile wake tower

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Miss-B-Haven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss-B-Haven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low profile wake tower
    Posted: July-17-2012 at 1:36am
I am curious as to if anyone has built a low profile wake tower for an early Nautique. I have a 77' that I love the look of and the way it handles. I don't want to add one of those god awful ugly tall wake towers to the boat, but I also don't like the fact that I can't haul more than one other person in the boat when someone is skiing. My two younger sons wakeboard, and I have been a slalom skier for over 20 years. I would like to see if someone has built a low profile almost like a roll bar tower. I am not getting another boat, so don't even suggest it. I love our boat, just want a little more flexability with it. Any pics would be cool! I am a fabricator and multicertified welder, so the task will be easy, but I was curious if this has been done before. We have a fly high pole, but I wanted something a little more permanent with some good looking style. Thanks for any replies. B
KEEP'N THE "KOOL" IN OLD SKOOL
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 11:10am
A pylon extension is the sweet ticket. Just take it down when not in use and your back to that great original look that you love. They are available used in the 200's frequently, of course you don't get to play McGuiver and use fabrication skills .
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 1:03pm
If I had the tools and skills it would be an exact copy of the 2nd Gen FCT and I would incorporate & fabricate a Z5 cargo bimini which can store ski's, boards, vests, etc and also provide protection from the sun.

If you make it too low it can be a head banger for anyone not familiar with the low points. If storing in a garage be sure it folds easily and low enough to still fit under the door. If fabricating a Z5 or similar, try to incorporate a way to lower it or remove the canvas for towing. Never seen/had a tower boat cover I liked, so be ready for spending more time covering the boat cuz getting around the tower legs is a PITA. Think about incorporating the stern light to mount on top of the tower, also speaker wiring if that may be something you want to add.

Ride both sides of the keep it original line, when it comes to adding function to a really small craft like a 77', it's hard to argue a tower is not a great solution, 16-18 holes in your deck is also not irreversible damage.

Good luck with it, hope you document the project, would be kool to watch it come together.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 3:46pm
My friend had one on his 2003 196. It looked awesome. I'll try to find some pictures.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/50752/67097.html?1053068718

I never hit my head on it and i'm 6' 2", so no idea why people complained about it.

Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
pdhowell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdhowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 4:34pm
You might look at the Monkey Bar by Barefoot International.   It is on my boat, and I have a small boat Correct Craft hull of the 1980's. I needed to get the rope up high, so that I could use the back seats, pull tubes as well as wakeboards, and needed something that would come off easily. It allows the interior to remain open.

It stick up about six and a half feet feet above my floor

It seems to work pretty good. I can email you pics if you contact me.
Miss-B-Haven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss-B-Haven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 5:17pm
Thanks guys! We currently have a 7' fly high pole on the boat, but I would really like to be able to pull a wakeboarder, tubes, and also ski with the rope up a little bit. I am thinking of something that is a little over 6' from the floor of the boat, and the teather point being exactly straight up from the original pylon. I was thinking of just putting a nice polished stainless steel block off plate over the hole in the floor where the pylon is, and remove it. This could be a multi purpose permanent tow point. It would also allow us to put the skis and wake boards ontop of it. I will check out the FCT 2
KEEP'N THE "KOOL" IN OLD SKOOL
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 5:29pm
I always liked the look of the MasterCraft Mini Tower. Looks like they make it at New Dimension Towers

Mini Tower
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 7:11pm
I really think the way to go is with a spyder tower, it sits about 5' off the ground, but is further towards the front of the boat, so it rides higher.

You have money choices though.

I think the monkey bar is the ugliest for being permanent.
1970 Mustang
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 7:13pm
Doubt you'd ever find a spyder...and if you did I bet it won't fit without cutting it's width...

Sorry to rain on the parade?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Doubt you'd ever find a spyder...and if you did I bet it won't fit without cutting it's width...

Well with her being a fabricator i assumed this wouldn't be a problem.

If i were building one, i'd make it a fun project and order in some stuff and make a custom one like the spider tower.
1970 Mustang
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Well with her being a fabricator i assumed this wouldn't be a problem.

If i were building one, i'd make it a fun project and order in some stuff and make a custom one like the spider tower.

Good call, I thought of the spyder right away but didn't mention because of my previous thoughts. But, that would be the idea, something similar to the spyder!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 11:21pm
I've been considering this for a while now, I've got a pretty clear idea in my head how it would go together, incorporating an integral bimini, and racks, i've even considered buying a tubing notcher and mocking it up in pvc prior to building it, I would consider for a winter project, a couple extras even!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 11:31am
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

I've been considering this for a while now, I've got a pretty clear idea in my head how it would go together, incorporating an integral bimini, and racks, i've even considered buying a tubing notcher and mocking it up in pvc prior to building it, I would consider for a winter project, a couple extras even!

I would most definitely build more then 1, you can easily resell i bet 3 or 4 on here or on ebay, to the point all your time and effort is rewarded.
1970 Mustang
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 2:41pm
Spyder tower is significantly less than 6' off the floor, which is what the PO is asking for. With such a short height I think an over the tower bimini/storage rack would be the ideal solution. I'd definitely keep the pylon though, for slalom skiing and tying to a dock.

rmccauley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmccauley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 4:22pm
would you happen to know what Manufacturer made the tower in the photo on the old post. i have a 1975 Ski Nautique and would like that same tower. any help would be greatly appreciated. If you could PM me that would be great.
Rob
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 6:54pm
My buddy has the spider tower on his 2004. I hate that thing. Bang your head on it all the time. Limited the type of bimini setup you can have. Put racks on the side and it obstructs your view. My $.02.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 7:28pm
Um, that's a custom made tower I'm fairly certain.
rmccauley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmccauley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 9:00pm
Ok thanks.
Rob
ncdoubleup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncdoubleup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2017 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by rmccauley rmccauley wrote:

Ok thanks.

I just sent you a Private Message, that was my old boat from when I lived in Florida that we sold more than 13 years ago. There are several boats in Florida running around with our towers, we built a ton when we lived there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic