NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$600 (+-) Oil Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 6:17pm
and don't do anything that will give you rash
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 6:48pm
Wow!! if that tool with the bolts in it didnt do it, that sucker must be welded on there. Can't be too careful, don't want them spinning off while your heading down the lake.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 7:04pm
Righty Tighty Lefty Lucy

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Righty Tighty Lefty Lucy

from the way your bolts are bent, this may be timely advice

anotherthought...if you could get a 90 degree angle pick between the filter seal and the flange, you could run some oil down the shaft of the pick, and onto the filter seal... do this in several locations to help unglue the seal from the motor?
84 BFN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 8:02pm
I’m spinning it counter clockwise – toward the front seat (left) or toward the front of the engine.

Man, after a while I started doubting the direction, so I used a 1/2” PVC fitting with the new filter to confirm.

I talked to Bull and said to use brute force to get it off. So I plan on working from the holes in the oil filter base with a small cold chisel and start prying but staying away from the block. There is an insert in the block that could get damaged if I go completely nuts, but he said it can be replaced. I’ll let you know what happens.
84 BFN
Longwood, Florida
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 8:10pm
Since everyone else has chimed in. Line slip joint pliers up with the holes Tap them in with a hammer and turn the correct way and it will spin right out.
Mike
Lakedog55
harriss28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harriss28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Originally posted by harriss28 harriss28 wrote:

Would it be possible to have someone weld a big nut onto the remaining piece of the filter.   Then the filter could be removed with a socket.

Yea! Lets "Weld" on it while it is in the boat!!

Sorry! No welding in Boats!!! Fiberglass does not weld well but it does burn nice and hot!

With proper precaution, a nut can be tacked on, no problems.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 11:09pm

Would it be possible to have someone weld a big nut onto the remaining piece of the filter.   Then the filter could be removed with a socket.

Sorry! No welding in Boats!!! Fiberglass does not weld well but it does burn nice and hot!

Shawn,
Could you detail the precaution(s) needed?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by 84 BFN 84 BFN wrote:

I’m spinning it counter clockwise – toward the front seat (left) or toward the front of the engine.

That sounds like its clockwise, which is correct. Guess its all in your point of view, looking down from the top clockwise loosens it, looking up from below clockwise tightens it). Oil filter is on the left side of the engine, if you put a wrench on the filter with the handle sticking out to the left and pull the handle towards the bow (rotating clockwise), thats will loosen the filter, if you pull the handle towards the stern that would be tightening the filter (rotating counterclockwise).
harriss28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harriss28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 12:27am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Shawn,
Could you detail the precaution(s) needed?

cover work area, get some wet rags to extinguish possible flame...done
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 1:25am
I know a guy who's shop burnt down due to weld spark that landed in the wrong place. I would save this option as a 2nd to last resort. Pulling engine is last.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 8:49am
Shawn,
Thanks for filling me in on the precautions needed for welding. I need to ask, in your line of work, do you ever need to "pull" a "hot work" permit for welding or cutting per OSHA?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 11:51am
I would weld that sucker with nothing but some fans, a few leathers, and some wet rags and not worry about it one bit.

I dont know a chevy from chrysler but on a ford the insert that the filter is screwed onto has a large allen socket in the middle if the chevy is the same way I would get me a good well fitting tool in that and put the insert and what is left of the filter off. But I would be sure of the direction it is threaded in before doing so… as it might not be soo righty tighty lefty loosey to keep it from coming out with the filter.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 12:58pm
Big block (and small block) Chevies made after 1967 have bolt on oil filter adapters attached to the block with 5/16" bolts.

After you get the filter off, remove it and get a remote oil filter adapter and move the filter to a more accessible location.
84 BFN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 4:18pm
I got it off. I followed Bulls advice and used brute force. I used a punch and bent the base ever so slightly and then I use the modified tool to spin the base off (counter clock wise or spinning toward the seats). What a relief! Now I can go skiing!! It would have been a drag to pull the engine just for the oil filter and then have to pull it again for the stringer project early next year.

Thanks for the help!

84 BFN
Longwood, Florida
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 4:38pm
That gasket sure looks dry. Plus, I have a feeling that filter was over tightened.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 4:46pm
I'll bet a Fram would have come off easier due to their construction
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
64stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 6:04pm
I like Fram as well, but that was a Purelator Premium filter, not really a junk filter by any means. I think too tight along with no oil on seal was the cause.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by 64stang 64stang wrote:

I like Fram as well,

Why? After reading all the tech reports on the junk Fram!!!
BTW, Gary was being factious. Sorry you didn't pick up on that even though he added all the emoticons!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
64stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 6:41pm
I should have cought the emotocons, actually I ignore them. I like Fram because of the grippy surface and usually use the better ones. The grippy surfacde allows me to put it on by hand and not worry about using a wrench. Some filters are so smooth that I can't grip them and end up using a tool, thus they may end up too tight. But I did sell auto/truck filters for a while and had some training on them and actually all have a pressure release spring that allows oil to bypass the filter during extreme conditions, like hard accelleration. That being said, too much filtration causes the bypass to activate more often. A good quality filter changed frequently enough provides more than adequate protection.

By the way, thanks for all the help with my boat.

Mark
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 1:43pm
Wow, must have felt awesome when that thing finally came loose.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic