Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wakesurfing 1988 SN2001

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wakesurfing 1988 SN2001
    Posted: July-18-2012 at 9:55am
I have a 1988 SN2001 and I am trying to see if we can wakesurf behind this model. I have two 750lb fatsacs... one behing the motor box and one on the port side between the gunnel and motor box. The wave is not good... does anybody have any suggestions? Does prop rotation make a huge difference as to what side is going to have a good clean wave?
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 11:31am
When we go wakesurfing with my '89, we just have four to five people in the boat that can reposition themselves quickly to improve the wake
I haven't noticed any difference as far as prop rotation is concernded, but I'm sure the more experienced tech guys on here may have a different opinion.

No fat sacs in my boat...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 11:53am
Where are you doing it, Waccamaw River?
Tim D
Wilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 12:39pm
yes... just now trying to get it figured out
Wilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 12:41pm
and you are able to let go the rope and have a nice wave to surf?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 3:49pm
Put the weight on the starboard side, will work much better. Also, look for the deepest water you can find. I cannot surf ropeless for very long, but that is just me.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 12:43am
All the weight should be on the surf side. Take the sacs out and get some friends together so you can easily move them around. Once you figure out weight placement add the sacs in appropriately. Start at about 10 mph and adjust speed for a clean wake. Adding weight in the rear usually makes a shorter steeper pocket. Adding weight mid-front will flatten the wake slightly but should make the pocket a little longer. A slightly longer board 5' to 5'6" should be better unless you are a lightweight. Start with as much weight as you can safely get in the very back corner on the surf side.
Onceyou feel the wave pushing you stay in the sweet spot by applying weight on your front foot to speed up and on your rear foot to slow down. Small adjustments are all thats needed. I know Eric Svennson surfs his 2001 but he probably has it sank to the rubrail with 3000 pounds of ballast. Use a proper surf rope and do not at anytime coil the rope up in your hands.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 12:44am
Also forgot to add, your wake will be much cleaner and consistent if the water is over 8 feet deep. Its amazingly difficult to get a good surf wake in water shallower than that.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Wilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 12:18pm
Thank you Mike. Any chance I could get Eric's phone number to talk with him directly?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 1:01pm
Take the back seat out if possible, one of your 750's should go right along the back wall with the end touching the port side. The other should butt up against that and run along the port side wall. I would suggest at least 2 normal sized people, preferably three besides the driver to be able to move around to tune the wake and to sit opposite the weight while the boat is not under way. They will likely need to be pretty far back and all the way port (if you dont have the back seat out they will need to be in the back corner. You will likely be in the low to mid 9.x mph range and then the wake will be able to sustain indefinite ropeless adventures for as long as you can keep the boat above the water.   

But seriously you will be on the rubrail (which may very likely leak) and you will be very close to your fuel vent. This activity will be very wet on the boat and likely take a few years off of your stringer/floor life if they are original. Wear lifejackets... try not to die, have fun!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

and to sit opposite the weight while the boat is not under way.

Make sure your observers know to do this , it really makes life for the driver much easier.
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 11:27pm
Get a 500lb sack for the back and put BOTH 750s on the port side. Spread them from front to back covering the whole left side.

Next get some fat friends and a GOOD surfboard. Joe and I love our inland surfer wakesurf boards. Also make sure you're prepared to be inches from the platform when surfing and inches from swamping when you're driving.
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2012 at 12:37am
Can you get a citation for overload due to fatsacks? Would that much weight create any stress cracks in the gelcoat?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2012 at 12:42am
Yes to the first. I've never had any issues tho.

Stress cracks....probably
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 11:57am
Stress cracks are surely only likely to occur when you are going at speed and you bounce over a roller or wave, with that much weight and at a low surfing speed there is going to be no impact on the hull so chances of stress cracks must be very very low, obviously if you have a soft floor and mush for stringers then its a potential issue but even then I would think it highly unlikely, the weight is not going to centered onto a single point but spread evenly across the whole side of the boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic