NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Denver shooting ....

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I wonder if theaters will put the Kabash on fans coming dressed up in costume at Midnight showings to "prevent" this from happening again

Already happened. 2 Major chains put a stop to it here in the Chicago area this morning.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

odds are in his favor so hit the ground lol, i really dont want to stand up in a theater with a guy that is outgunned than you and is already shooting people, and when you do stand to take the shot which you better be a damn good shooter, that you dont hesitate.
it probably took him under 45 seconds to kill these people so time is also not on your side....

As someone who often carries a .380 or a .45... I can't agree more with Eric on this. An AR-15 with a 100 round magazine spitting out bullets traveling 4 times the speed of sound as fast as a crazy guy can pull the trigger. I'm cowering, hiding,covering up loved ones and hoping for the best.
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 8:19pm
Have I pulled on someone?..yes. Have I been shot at?..yes. If this guy wanted to die bad enough he would have shot himself or had the cops shoot him. No question if someone reacted with a side arm, he would have either hauled ass or at least taken his attention away from shooting innocents. If a couple of guys can muster the balls to take down some hijackers and save houndreds of lives with thier bare hands, I could only hope I could pull and squeeze a trigger especially if my or my family's life was in danger.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 9:29pm
agreed
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 10:10pm
THIS is a perfect example of concealed carry.
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 10:47pm
No Buck fever there. Out numbered and guned and he hit them both before they got off a shot. That is a crime deterrent. Big
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2012 at 10:23am
you really need to be trained, not a 4 hour saturday afternoon shooting at targets, not to often do your hear of these situatuions were stalled by a guy with a CCW, the 72 year old up top may have had military training, or been a cop...im just saying the psych is not trained into you when you are getting the license to carry. to me its a novelty thing.
sn, those guys had a little time to ponder and they new their outcome was death so we cant use that as an example, without success i may say, If you remember a few years back when those guys robbed that LA bank, they had all the gear and not much took them down, and they were surrounded by trained professionals with hand guns.
PC said it best, be a hero and shield your family
"the things you own will start to own you"
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 8:41am
Let us not forget that this was a horrible act committed by a total nut job that deserves all the torment that life can throw at him for the rest of his miserable days.

The gun ownership and gun culture in the US is very very different from that of the UK but these senseless acts can and do happen the world over.
Despite being brought up in the countryside where hunting/shooting is a normal part of daily life I have never and would never pick up a gun for any reason, I am not anti guns but they are just not for me.

I don't believe in knee-jerk reactions for anything where laws are changed and further restrictions are imposed because there is no legislation for nut jobs, you guys that feel comfortable using and owning guns should be allowed to continue doing so as is your right.

The tragedy is making the prime time headlines over here in the UK so I am sure everyone is sending their prayers to everyone affected.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 1:54am
Originally posted by MattB MattB wrote:

Are further restrictions on gun ownership the solution?

Absolutely not. This has nothing to do with icky guns and everything to do with an unstable person. The biggest cities in the country have some of the most strict gun laws and the worst crime. . People do this crap because it makes the news and they gain world wide attention.
     Personally, i think it should be mandatory for everyone who can legally own a gun to have one for home defense and they should be trained to use it. People who are uncomfortable around guns are so because they have never been properly introduced to them. There is zero reason for anyone to be afraid of guns or responsible gun owners. The only way crime will decrease is if the criminals are the one's who are afraid.
     My 14 yo son and 13 yo daughter love to shoot. I took my kids and 2 Spanish exchange students shooting
yesterday. We shot pistols, rifles & shotguns. We spent a half hour straight just doing mag dumps with an Ar-15. Do I need a high capacity military style rifle? Nope. But it sure is fun to shoot, and I really don't need the govt to tell me that I'm not responsible enough to have it. The kids had a great time and said it was one of the highlights of their month long stay. You'll probably never see their smiling faces on the news though, cause the news doesnt want it if they cant spin it into some nightmare.

My condolences & prayers to the families and everyone affected by this senseless tragedy.

Mike

Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 6:36am
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

Originally posted by MattB MattB wrote:

Are further restrictions on gun ownership the solution?

Absolutely not. This has nothing to do with icky guns and everything to do with an unstable person. The biggest cities in the country have some of the most strict gun laws and the worst crime. . People do this crap because it makes the news and they gain world wide attention.
     Personally, i think it should be mandatory for everyone who can legally own a gun to have one for home defense and they should be trained to use it. People who are uncomfortable around guns are so because they have never been properly introduced to them. There is zero reason for anyone to be afraid of guns or responsible gun owners. The only way crime will decrease is if the criminals are the one's who are afraid.

Well spoken Mike! I'm with you on this.
Belgium has enormous gun restrictions. The basic rule is: we are not allowed to have a gun... Getting a permit is very hard. And when you get a permit, it is only to be able to own a gun, tranport it to your gun club (ammo and weapon in seperate cases) where you must be member in order to get your permit. Or you must be certified member of a hunting club in order to own a hunting rifle.

In my VERY VERY humble opinion is that they weakened the reponsible law obiding citizens and strengthen the criminals in this country... But hey, that's just me

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 8:03am
Please don't misquote me or short quote me ... (I'm going to be more careful with my words and punctuation next time)

The full quote

Quote Are further restrictions on gun ownership the solution? probably not as when some nut job decides to do something like this a license or a piece of paper wont stop him

You can also quote me as typing....

Quote I don't believe in knee-jerk reactions for anything where laws are changed and further restrictions are imposed because there is no legislation for nut jobs, you guys that feel comfortable using and owning guns should be allowed to continue doing so as is your right.

I believe that some laws in society are needed but new legislation should always be introduced with very careful consultation, responsible people are perfectly able to legislate themselves without some politician creating a new law for them. Too many laws can restrict the lives of responsible people and that in my opinion is not a good thing as it leads to unrest (not related to this story or gun law, but too many laws and the feeling of being persecuted was one of the contributing factors behind the riots in the UK last year)
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 11:06am
I apologize Matt if you thought my post was directed towards you. I understand perfectly what you typed and was not trying to misquote anything. I " short quoted" your statement because that was the part of the statement that i was addressing. My intention was to answer, IMO, that part of your statement, not to seperate it from the rest of your post and make it look like you intended it to have a different meaning.

I am curious tho, you stated above that you have never and will never pick up a gun as they "are not for you". If you dont mind me asking, I'm wondering how you can make a statement like that based on zero experience. I could see your point if you had shot a weapon and didn't enjoy it, but thats like saying wakesurfing is not for you if you have never tried it. Not trying to be nosey, just curious and if that feeling is based on a previous tragedy in your life I understand if you dont feel the need to explain.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 1:15pm
No offense taken..its gonna take a lot more than that to offend me

Quote I am curious tho, you stated above that you have never and will never pick up a gun as they "are not for you". If you dont mind me asking, I'm wondering how you can make a statement like that based on zero experience. I could see your point if you had shot a weapon and didn't enjoy it, but thats like saying wakesurfing is not for you if you have never tried it. Not trying to be nosey, just curious and if that feeling is based on a previous tragedy in your life I understand if you dont feel the need to explain.

Ooooh..how to answer that....

Nobody is ever going to die from `anyone` picking up a wakesurf!

Perhaps my "Never" was a little strong....

I would like to think when it came to protecting loved ones I would have the balls to defend them if it involved picking up a gun to do so, I can only pray that it will never happen and I will never be put into such a dreadful situation.

Do I have any interest in picking up a gun for sport, nope absolutely zero.

Would I pick up a gun to shoot an animal if I needed to eat, yup I probably would, I have always been a meat eater and I don't believe in "sugar coating" where our food comes from (Bambi does taste very nice) and the thought of going vegetarian gives me the shivers.

Nope guns are not for me not through any tragedy in my life, but I respect peoples choice to have and use them. If some of you guys wish to carry concealed guns that is your choice just make sure they stay concealed please, a gunfight against a heavily armed and very unhinged individual only ends in sadness for everyone involved.

I am definitely one for being open and trying anything life has to offer but guns are for some reason totally off my list (there are a few other things on my no go list but they are for a totally different conversation ).
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 10:50pm
A gunsmith and firearms dealer once told me that an "armed society is a polite society." I grew up 45 minutes south of Boston. I've had a car I was riding in shot at because we had no money when someone tried to hold us up. I had a childhood friend killed execution style after being car jacked by a 16 year old. I've witnessed drive by shootings. All of this in a liberal state that has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country. All of these things coming from illegal weapons. I've also known a guy that got the crap kicked out of him by a bouncer, who happened to be the father of his ex's child. He went to this guy's place of business(a strip bar) killed the guy, his manager, took everyone hostage, shot up a police car then committed suicide. All because of jealousy and insecurity. This was done with a legal weapon he jumped through hoops to own. I feel that too much restriction creates a void in the ranks of gun owners. Only criminals and those willing to commit lots of time and money into being "qualified" to own one. Now I live in Vermont, another very liberal state, where gun ownership is much less restrictive. Anyone who can legally own a pistol can carry it concealed. You never hear of random shootings, car jacking, hostage situations or the like. Someone who pulls a gun around here has no idea who else around them is carrying. Now does this kind of thing work everywhere in the country? No way, but that is why firearm ownership should be controlled at a state level and minimally at the federal level. What works here in rural Vermont won't work everywhere but it should be for the people living wherever they happen to live to decide!
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic