NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Coat Repair product and oxidation

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 1:25pm
Joe,

Thanks for posting the video link. That was quite educational. First lesson for Kevin - I'm using WAY too much product when I work on my boat. I don't dab on 5 dots, I put a swirl of product on the pad. No wonder everything is a big mess...

I believe that you can get rid of the ghosting, you just have to cut into the gel a little deeper.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 1:44pm
Not impressed by the video at all,reminds me of a As Seen on TV ad. Notice the camera angles at 148 and then at 200. I don't understand Joe why are you trying to reinvent the wheel. If your looking for an easy way out it's not going to happen.

Find out how the Hart boys did this and follow it exactly. It is not their first

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Not impressed by the video at all,reminds me of a As Seen on TV ad. Notice the camera angles at 148 and then at 200. I don't understand Joe why are you trying to reinvent the wheel. If your looking for an easy way out it's not going to happen.

I thought the guy was Billy Mays at first!!

Yes Joe, you are looking for an easy way out. Don't half ass it. It won't work!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Find out how the Hart boys did this and follow it exactly. It is not their first

I searched " hart" with no success.

Please elaborate.

thanks
1997 Sport Nautique
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 2:35pm
Go back and re-read this thread. Use a WOOL PAD!!! 3M super duty compound. You don't need to wetsand by the looks of your gel. My supersport was WAY worse and chalky and I ended up having to sand but the super duty will bring that back and should get rid of the ghosting. You need to "load" the wool pad with compound, spread it around with your fingers and get it all nice and moist all over. Then start, do small sections at a time because it will dry out quickly. I'd say a 2'x2' area or less. Then wipe off area with a micro-fiber towel. Continue process. Then you'll need to use a finer compound as I already stated in my earlier post. If you want it to come out right you need to invest some serious time and effort in it, there's no shortcuts. Go to your local Napa and get a good wool pad. My last one cost over $20.00 but it doesn't come apart like the cheaper ones do and will cut better and not burn the gel.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 3:16pm
I'm going to come to Joe's defense here a little bit. When you search for gelcoat restoration on this site there are a lot of words, and little in the way of pictures or step-by-step instructions for what he needs to do. There are lots of 'respray' photos (like that amazing yellow boat), but that's not what Joe needs to do. The other problem is that there is SO MUCH data on the internet when it comes to this topic. Go to Amazon.com, type in "wool polishing pad", and you get 403 results!

That buffer looks like one I purchased, which works just fine. It's a cheap one, but will do the job. Sorry guys, but sometimes the funds for a Dewalt are hard to come by when a Black and Decker or Harbor Freight tool will do the same thing for 1/4 of the price. Buying a less-expensive tool does not equal low effort on Joe's part.

Joe - Here's what I THINK I have learned. If I say something wrong I trust the experts here (which I am not) to steer us right.

1. We don't like foam pads. I purchased this wool pad (I got a few of them).

Wool pad

2. This backing pad is a flexible-ish rubber with velcro on it and goes with the pads.

Backing pad

Once you have these objects you need some of the right stuff for cutting into the gel.

Compound

Finesse It II

3. Finally, get a good wax and apply.

Collinite Wax

Oh - if you are applying new decals, those go on before the wax...
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 3:26pm
Thanks Kroundy
Great post
1997 Sport Nautique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 3:36pm
Joe - Also, I purchased everything I needed at a Carquest Auto Parts store a few miles from where I live. I'm not suggesting you get everything from Amazon (although I know a few people who work there), just trying to show you what should take care of the shadowing on your boat. If the 3M Super Duty doesn't do it, you may need to wet-sand. That's a different topic and more links can be provided.

It would be great if you could get these products and then show us pictures of before, during and after each step! That would definitely get a link in the FAQ.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2012 at 12:21pm
Even though you probably won't listen, you need to go a step further than what Kevin is saying. Somewhere this morphed from light oxidation to orange peel and ghosted lettering. Those 2 things are going to take wetsanding to remove, and extra work. The bad thing about the ghosting is you have to sand and then go back to the 1st step of polish to see if you got it, and then do it agian if it still there, the orange peel is much easier to see while your sanding so you can get it all before you polish.

For more info I have a thread about wetsanding last summer and David (Vondy) did the same thing this year.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2012 at 1:45pm
Don - I searched and found a few mentions of your thread, but I don't think I found the actual one you note above. Searched with Google and via this site. Can you post a link?
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 12:31am
1997 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic