NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine has sat for 1-1/2 years

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine has sat for 1-1/2 years
    Posted: July-25-2012 at 4:20am
What should I do before trying to start an engine that has been sitting for 1-1/2 years? It was winterized according to the prior owner (whom I generally trust). I pulled the plugs tonight and they looked used but in good condition. I checked the dipstick and the oil level was good, but the oil was black (used).

Background on the boat/engine here.

Should I change the oil before starting it up?

Should I hand-crank the engine before trying to fire it over?

Should I squirt some WD-40 in the cylinders?

Put some Heet in the gas?

Any advice is appreciated. Actually, that is not true: any GOOD advice is appreciated.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 4:40am
A little bit of marvel mystery oil in the spark plug holes will give you some lubrication in the cylinders, and I would probably prime the oil pump   I think I would give it an oil change before starting, then check the drain plugs, belts and hoses to make sure all is tight and sealed. Some people remove their impeller to, so you should probably check that.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 9:42am
Kris has good advice above. In addition I recommend siphoning out the old gas & replacing with fresh. Heet won't bring the gas back. Use the old gas in a car or truck.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 2:55pm
OK. Good advice on the gas. Thank you.

I should have mentioned - I purchased an impeller yesterday and plan to install it before I try to make the engine move.

Kris - you should come up to Lake Stevens and we could have an engine-starting party. Then, the next weekend we could have an engine-moving party.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:08pm

I would use the old gas to start a fire or somthing like that. A year and a half is really not that long. If you are really worried about it you can pour tranny fluid straight through the carb. I would take the fuel supply off the carb. Then turn the motor over by hand, use
the crank bolt. Much easier if you already have plugs out, Then I would use the starter with the coil wire unconnected, and give it a few short spins. Put some new plugs in, fresh gas, change the oil, clean the carb(probably needs a rebuild.) If the oil is that black Not sure the PO winterized exactly as he should have.
Mike

Lakedog55
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 4:32pm
Mike - do you know the size the crank bolt? I found out last night the largest size I have is 3/4" and it's obviously too small.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 4:46pm
I think it is 15/16 almost positive. Once you do hve it running I would run it long enough to get that old oil heated up and then change it. It will take at least a day to drain if the oil is cold. The first time I would change it with any oil(cheap) and before using the boat change it again(good oil). Do not forget about the tranny fluid. I am sure you know about hooking some water up to it. If it were mine I would check the condition of the old impeller and if it is not to bad use it until you get the boat running. No sense using your new impellar to just get the boat started, unless it looks like parts are going to come flying off. pay close attention to the orientation of the pump. Trust me it can be put together two ways.
Mike
Lakedog55
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 5:09pm
I debated my response on the oil change last night... if it has a bunch of condensation in it, or is really dirty, it may not have the lubricity that you want... but on the other hand, warming it up will help to drain it... I think pumping it out is going to be faster than draining it anyway, so thus my response to cahnge first. I think this is a 6 of one situation... you could do it eaither way without doing any harm.
   I don't think I would use a cheap oil vs a good oil? If you get a low grade oil, and it doesn't get the valves and cam all lubed up correctly, you run the risk of taking out a cam lobe for the joy of saving 10 dollars on oil.
I agree on the impeller, no sense in changing it now unless it looks bad.   you won't be running the engine up too high so tons of water flow isn't going to be necessary.   I would put in the new one after the test run.
I also agree with not running bad gas through the carb/engine.   I would disconnect the tank and run the fuel pickup to a Jerry can.   you eliminate several potential problems by doing this.

I don't have any time this weekend... I'll be laying under the car finishing up my motor rebuild/install.   I'll be around by phone though if you have issues or want to bounce something off of me (no wrenches please)

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

I don't think I would use a cheap oil vs a good oil? If you get a low grade oil, and it doesn't get the valves and cam all lubed up correctly, you run the risk of taking out a cam lobe for the joy of saving 10 dollars on oil.

I agree plus, we all know that RR cams are getting harder and harder to get!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 6:16pm
I am just saying what I would do, I have started 3 motors this past year with no problems. They had all been sitting for way longer than yours. The cheap oil I used was the Napa 10-40, Ran it long enough to warm it up and then drained changed filter, and put the good stuff back in. For the gas, I usually rig up a line from the pump into a five gallon can and run it off that. That way I can take my time replacing fuel lines, getting rid of the fram long filter, checking the fuel pick-up in the tank and getting it clean. Try to stay off he high rpms on the trailer, I know its very hard. but they all run good on the trailer anyway. post some pics if you get a chance.
Mike
Lakedog55
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 10:46pm
Kevin - confirmed that the crank pulley on my boat has a 15/16 bolt :)
if you are buying a new socket, you might want to get a 6 point, those crank bolts can be on there pretty tight
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I agree plus, we all know that RR cams are getting harder and harder to get!

Is that right? I thought RR cams for BBC's were hard to get,rollers impossible, but did not hear about SBF RR cams.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 11:10pm
Gary,
They are still out there but due to the low demand, they will be harder to find as time goes on. I shutter thinking about if the time ever comes when I need a RR came for my Y block!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 11:22pm
Your saying my parts stash should include one then?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 2:13am
Good news: She cranks!

I put all the winterization things back together. HUGE thank you to Kris (Dreaming) for pulling his block drain plug and taking measurements of it for me so I could buy one to replace the missing one from my engine.

I got a battery (Group 65, NOT deep cycle). At first it clicked. Turn the key again: click. Then, after a few clicks it turned. I cranked it and watched the oil pressure come up quickly.

I never got it to fire, however I am still very happy. It spins freely, the oil pressure was good instantly. Tomorrow I'll see if it is getting gas (I think so), and spark in the plugs.

I'd like to get it running before pulling it. Not sure why. Once she fires up I will change the oil, put in fresh plugs, and fix anything else that I find when trying to fire it up.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 2:53am
Thats great I hope you can get it into yours and at least get to use it this year
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 8:27am
Kevin,
Think about getting the battery charger hooked up. First, even a new battery may need a charge. Second is you may be doing more cranking that normal.

BTW, don't do too much cranking without giving the starter a rest. They have a fairly short on time duty cycle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 3:21pm
A little gas down the throat of the carb makes a big difference in cranking time... if you are drawing fuel through a dry pump, it takes a good long time, but if you can get the motor to kick a few times, the pump seems to do its job a l ittle better good news on the starter circuit etc.   also, I agree with getting it running in the junk boat first, that way, if there is some problem, you don't have to pull the motor out of yoru new boat, saves the carpet, and all the dissapointment of wanting to go skiing after all is installed.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 2:30am
Guess what? She runs! And... sounds VERY healthy.

Time to take the boat apart and get ready to install this best into my boat!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 2:57am
Congrats I'll bet that makes you feel real good. Will not be long now.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 3:40am
I was very, very pleased to hear that engine run. :) Dreaming (Kris) had the right idea. Pour a little gas down the throat of the carb and things roared to life. Water flowed well, oil pressure good, and it sounded... AWESOME.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 9:12am
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Pour a little gas down the throat of the carb and things roared to life.

I have a pump squirt can filled with gas. I use it every spring when starting the boats after their winter sleep.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic