Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Chugging

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Clove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Chugging
    Posted: July-27-2012 at 11:06pm
I have a 1990 Ski Nautique. Last year it would almost stall coming off the start and had the accelerator pump changed. Works great this year off the start but every second or third time out in the boat it will really chug at low speeds (10-25 mph).....but it is hit and miss....sometimes it runs great all the time and seems to run well at higher speeds. Any suggestions?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 11:12pm
Cameron.
Could you describe the "chug" better?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Clove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 11:22pm
It is similar to when you first start driving a standard car and if you let the clutch out to quickly the vehicle chugs......same feeling in my boat where it gets power then loses power then gets it and loses it but very quickly in between gaining and losing power so it is "chugging". Chug is large enough that passengers and myself are physically beig moved by the chugging. Just was out skiing my son and it started great (he is only 9 so I ski him at about 24 mph) and then half way through (after about 15 minutes) started doing it again. Then I skied at about 34 mph and was generally fine.......could it be a spark plug in cylinder 1-4?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 8:32am
Cameron,
Has the carb ever been rebuilt? When was the last time you did an ignition tune up?

BTW, you mentioned plugs 1-4. You have 8 of them!
Back a few years, we did have a new member think he only had 4 plugs as well. We had to tell him to look on the other side of the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Clove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 9:46am
The carb was done this year (Bought a carb kit and local boat store did it) but the ignition has never been tuned up. Is this a big job?

Re the plugs thanks for the tip! I know there is 8 plugs but 5-8 were apparently new plugs when I bought the boat and 1-4 were a couple of years old.bwas goon to change them anyways but didn't think this was what causing the issue.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 10:16am
Cameron,
An ignition tune up sure wouldn't hurt. Do you have or could borrow a timing light and dwell meter? Why would the PO only change 4 out of the 8 plugs?

However, I have a feeling the problem is more carb related. Did the shop that rebuilt it install it, set the float levels, check the accelerator pump and the idle air mix?

Does the exhaust ever smell like the engine is running rich?

What do you do the clear the engine when it "chugs"?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Clove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 10:26am
I am not sure specifically what the shop did with the carb and whether they did all the things you note below. I don't have a timing light or dwell meter but I could get one. Yes it does feel like it is running rich and occossionally when i turn the engine off and then go to restart it is like it is flooded and need start it like a cold start. Re the chugging I don't do anything to clear it currently......is there something I could do to get me through the next week?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 10:36am
Cameron,
I'm getting a feeling that the rebuild of the carb was screwed up,not complete and not set up properly. Have you gone back to the shop that did the carb and talked with them?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Clove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 10:41am
No, but will......is there anything that I can do to clear the chugging when it occurs to get me through the next week or two?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Clove Clove wrote:

No, but will......is there anything that I can do to clear the chugging when it occurs to get me through the next week or two?

Without confirming what the actual problem is, it's hard to say.

When you turn off the engine and with the flame arrester removed, look for fuel dripping down it's throat.

When it "chugs", is the exhaust black?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Clove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 11:08am
When it is chugging and I stop and turn off engine and then restart (where I have to get it going like a cold start) the exhaust has been black. If I look for fuel dripping and if there is anything I should do?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 11:38am
Take the primary fuel bowl off & replace the needle & seat. Check the float level. Also replace the power valve - these are known to fail.

Then set the idle mixture carefully

This is a 1 hour project if you have the parts & tools ready to go.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic