Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 air idle and float settings?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
76 Ski Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 Ski Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 302 air idle and float settings?
    Posted: July-29-2012 at 3:14am
hi just had a rebuild on my 302. we are running but just trying to get all of the float and idle air settings right.

engine is all stock rebuild plus a high volume oil pump and an edelbrock performer 289 intake. im using a newer holley 450 cfm that has been cleaned. also have a carb spacer plate.

runs good but a little hard to start when idle is set lower. just want to get things fine tuned thanks any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

i think i have idel air screws on primary at 1.5 turns out? thanks!
B.O.A.T- bust out another thousand
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 9:17am
Set the idle air mix screws so you get the highest vacuum.

Why the high volume oil pump? Who told you to install it??? If it was the engine rebuilder, please identify them so no one else makes the mistake of having them rebuild an engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 9:20am
Set screws to get strongest idle while in gear, in the water.
The load will make their sweet spot apparent.

That will improve off idle response and restarts.

If either can't stall the engine when closed, the carb has issues.

Cold starts correct with choke adjustment.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 Ski Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 5:58pm
Thanks for the response. Ill get the tique in the water for final adjustment! A pcm dealer from this forum recommended high volume not high pressure melling oil pump.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by 76 Ski Tique 76 Ski Tique wrote:

A pcm dealer from this forum recommended high volume not high pressure melling oil pump.

What was his logic??? Do not trust ANY so called mechanics/"techs" these days. you are better off asking all us old guys here on CCfan who have been around the block a few times!    The bottom line is a high volume oil pump is not needed especially on a fresh engine. All it does is rob HP. That PCM dealer must be smoking something out in back of his shop. Please ID him so no one else takes work to that Backyard hacker.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 Ski Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 11:59pm
easy... with some research it look likes im good to go with the high volume. i have a deep 8qt pan and i should be all set on oil. as far as too much pressure on cam gears and distributor ill be fine engine was hot tanked and all journals are clean so draining should be fine. and it only moves 20% more oil. i understand the argument but differing opinions on oil pump i don't think constitutes a backyard hack. tryna keep it low key no need to name the guy. a

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 Ski Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 12:04am
thanks very much! always speak very highly of this forum! got me out of many tough spots! this is my only spot for all things CC thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 Ski Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 12:16am
have alot of respect for you pBrainard from a few years on hear so please dont take my comment the wrong way. Thanks for chimming in!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic