NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Know anything about older Supra?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Know anything about older Supra?
    Posted: August-03-2012 at 12:47pm
I know some CC guys like Supra...or thought I knew that.

Buddy is looking for a wakeboardish boat, found a pretty nice 90 Supra for sale and was wondering if it would be composite floor/stringers or wood and glass like our older CC's.

Other things to look for?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 12:49pm
Mine's a 99, i don't know how much about the older ones.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Patman79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 1:00pm
Like most manufacturers Supra switched to composite in 93' I have a 98 Saltare and it has been an awesome boat. I'm trying to get rid of it now only because we don't do a lot of boarding and we want a center console. Anybody wanna buy a 1998 Supra Saltare?!
Patrick
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 1:01pm
Send some pics to me Pat. emails my username at gmail.com
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Patman79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 1:17pm
Email sent.
Patrick
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 1:21pm
Thank you sir, I'll send it to my friend.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 2:45am
Patman is correct all 93s are composite there were a few 92s. The tell is the round windshield. None of the 90s are composite and they can have the same stringer problems as early CCs. Check the Supra forum for more info.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 7:35am
Seen some rotten supra's first hand and they're no different that our CC's. I'd say doing a stringer job, if one was so inclined, would be much hard as you'll have to remove the deck.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 9:02am
I tried a search without any success trying to find Andy's complete thread on his Supra stringer job. It got pretty intense with the work he had to do especially removing it's cap. However, the last time I did see it, he had removed all the pictures from photobucket so the thread was pretty blank.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 11:22am
i had a 87 saltere and the rot issue in these buts is much worse then any cc documented on this site.to look at my boat you would never know.it was all original,looked great and had very low hours.you could have cleaned the stringers out with a spoon
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 11:52am
I saw an older (mid-late 80's) Supra Sunsport the other day going by on a trailer. I found it interesting how little V there was in the hull as compared to the older Correct Craft's of the same size/purpose.

The Southwind and Martiniques all had very deep V's. The Supra's seem to have virtually no V at all. I would think they would have a much better ski wake for bigger, open bow boats vs. the CC's.
rogier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 12:08pm
I would reconsider the option of a 90 Supra altogether. By the time you weight it down to what you need to get a normal (not extreme) wake, it's nearly sinking. There is a lot less rom for error compared to a Nautique or Mastercraft in the same age/price range.

Great skiing boats though !
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 12:34pm
I also own a 89 Supra Sunsport. I bought it new in 89. The old Supra boats were built by George Fowler. They are Totally different than any other boat built at that time. Way ahead of their time IMO.The hull is a deep V bow with a flat ski boat like aft. What model are you talking about?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 12:06pm
Sorry for the late reply. It's a 90 Supra Saltare
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 1:08pm
older Supras are really prone to rot, the thick carpet used would hold in water and moisture. To do a correct stringer, floor replacment removing the deck cap is needed. I like the lines and hull shapes of the 80's to mid 90's Supras, usually a deep roomy boat that rides good.
They were way before everyone else on having a luxury inboard with an open bow and tons of space. There is a 86 Supra Beast (Big Block) in need of restoration near me that I have considered picking up for cheap
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 8:17pm
I had an 87 Saltare that I liked a lot. However, mine had the floor and stringers redone in 1999. PO did the job and said he wold never do it again. I think it's a pretty common deal for them.

Last week I skied behind a 89 SN and a 90 ts6comp. They had identical engines. I'd chose the SN any day for almost every factor. It was faster out of the hole, rode better, doesn't nose dive as easily, has more room, more comfortable aft seat, more accessible storage... The wake on the Supra may have been very slightly softer at 34mph, 15 off. I like the lines of the Supras back then, but the SN would have been my choice.
Good luck!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic