NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical issue
    Posted: August-05-2012 at 12:41pm
My 87 BFN needed a new ballast resistor when I got it. The shop it was at was waiting for the part, in the meantime I took the boat home and waited for it to come in. This morning I installed it, started the boat and it fired right to life, purred like a kitten. But the dash alarm was sounding. Now I only ran it for about 15-20 seconds since I didn't have water to it. I went to re-fire and nothing. ??? Got the multimeter out (which I don't know how to use at all) but I was able to check that there is still continuity between the posts on the new ballast so I don't think that is the issue. The 50-amp breaker next to it - The pin pushes in but it pops right back out, could that be the issue??
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 1:32pm
Im thinking two different things are going on here or you wired stuff together on accident. The alarm is one and the starting is another. As the alarm system works on resistance or connection to ground it could get a little weird. Questions:
1) Is there oil in the engine and was the gauge reading pressure when you ran it?
2) Was the boat pumping water while you were running it?
4) Did you personally install the resistor? Your admission of inexperience in electrical matters leads me to think you buggered something up here.
I don't have your engine in my Nautique but I would ask nicely of the membership for a good picture of the ignition system wiring so that you may compare it in reference. More than likely there is such a picture or existing thread on this site and a good search will uncover it.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 2:15pm
I checked continuity at the breaker terminals and got zilch. I've never had a main breaker trip before so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see/feel when I push it back in, but there is no secondary position on it, just feels like a weak spring and it pops back out. Doesn't feel like it resets, even when the battery is not connected.

Looks like the ground at batt cable could use replacement, that may be one issue. I noticed the ground connection at the block is a little greenish.

Here's a couple pics for reference, I have no idea what brand coil this is, there doesn't appear to be any markings.

Here's a shot of the breaker and ballast resistor and wiring.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Im thinking two different things are going on here or you wired stuff together on accident. The alarm is one and the starting is another. As the alarm system works on resistance or connection to ground it could get a little weird. Questions:
1) Is there oil in the engine and was the gauge reading pressure when you ran it?
2) Was the boat pumping water while you were running it?
4) Did you personally install the resistor? Your admission of inexperience in electrical matters leads me to think you buggered something up here.
I don't have your engine in my Nautique but I would ask nicely of the membership for a good picture of the ignition system wiring so that you may compare it in reference. More than likely there is such a picture or existing thread on this site and a good search will uncover it.

BK, The alarm is of particular concern also. I personally installed the resistor. Not sure how to get that wrong, there's 2 posts, and 2 wires going to it, a red wire and a purple wire. Boat has fresh oil, to the full mark on the dipstick. I did not have time to check the pressure at the gauge, as I mentioned I only ran it for 15-20 sec.

If something was buggered up electrically (which is possible), it wasn't by me as the only thing I've touched is the ballast resistor. I have the PCM wiring diagram that has been posted here before, I don't see anything wrong initially. My thoughts are that the breaker needs replacing, but I'm thinking that there may be another underlying issue as well which is why the breaker tripped in the first place.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 2:44pm
Thanks for the pics, everything looks fine. No boogers there. Did not mean to insult. Think maybe that breaker touched ground and popped somehow?
Seems like you are heading in the right direction. Not sure, check your prints but that breakers main job is to safe the alternator current on its way back to the battery connection. Somebody else will know more.
Breakers pop for a reason generally and those push buttons take more force than one estimates to reset.
Just thinking out loud but a fault capable of tripping that breaker should be fairly simple to find. I think you are doing it right by starting with basics, check all connections,etc. Good luck and I hope somebody with more Ford time chimes in to help. Summer is getting short.

Oh and another thought. I know everybody here like to use a VOM for electrical and they certainly have their place but i have found a simple test light is much quicker for most boat troubles. In fact, when a VOM will still show voltage, the test light may be dim indicating hidden problems. You can still find it it OHMing out the circuit but it will take you longer.

Again I hope somebody else comes in to help.
John
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 3:01pm
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 3:20pm
Load test the output side of the breaker to actually see if there is a load that's popping it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Load test the output side of the breaker to actually see if there is a load that's popping it.

Pete, can you give me some direction on how to do this? I'm an electrical idiot.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 3:42pm
Bret,
Set your VOM to the very highest amp range. Typically that's a 20 amp. Don't worry if the load is higher than the 20, there is a fuse inside. Remove the load side wire from the breaker and place the the VOM is series with the breaker and the wire. Start and see what it reads. I have a feeling that you ether have a bad breaker or the battery is bad.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 4:03pm
That fuse is $15 for my Fluke.
Your probably right about the battery. Good call.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

That fuse is $15 for my Fluke.

For a 3AG fuse!! Wow, you must be shopping at a very special spot!! Do they make you bend over when entering as well?   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 4:47pm
Highest setting on my VOM is 10amp. :( Which is the load-side wire? Looking at the wiring diagram, is that the red wire or the wire that shows going to the starter solenoid and battery? And by wiring in series I assume you mean put one test lead on the breaker and one on the open wire that I disconnected to close the circuit, right?

PS - Just got back from Advance AP - Battery tested good. 12.7v, measured out at 791 CCA and it is rated for 650CCA. Was kinda hoping the battery was the issue....
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 6:16pm
Bret,
If, your VOM only goes to 10 amps, it may blow the fuse if there is an issue. Even with a 20 amp range, there is still the potential. However, unlike the above buying $15 fuses, a 3AG is $.27 when you buy 10 at one time!! Yes, he must have to bend over real far when he walks into the place selling him "fluke" fuses!! Yes, when in series, you want the power to go through the meter. Actually it really does not matter what side of the breaker you read the amps on. All you are looking for is an amp reading. Does the breaker pop as soon as you start the engine? Clean up ALL those bad connections. Also use a wire brush type termanal cleaner on the battery and cables. BTW, make sure your VOM does read DC amps. Some of the real cheap ones only read AC.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 6:20pm
Pete, I can't get the breaker to reset. That's the problem. Even with +/- battery cables disconnected, no power, the breaker when pushed in does not reset. I'm pretty sure it is bad. I'll get a new one at Orlando Nautiques tomorrow during lunch and see if it solves the problem, pretty sure it will. Probably the original breaker in the boat now. It's about to rain buckets now so i had to button her back up.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 6:24pm
Bret,
If it will not reset, and is open, then yes, go for a new one. All I was trying to do is find out what caused it to pop in the first place.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 1:46pm
Anyone else notice all the white wires coming from/to the 50 amp breaker all black-taped up?

Hmmm.....
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 2:20pm
One other little tidbit I noticed, there is a red wire and a purple wiring going to the opposing terminals on the resister. So far, so good.

But, it looks like the same red wire and purple wire are both going to the SAME post on the coil.

If those are indeed the same wires/circuits, the resister really wouldn't be doing much of anything.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

One other little tidbit I noticed, there is a red wire and a purple wiring going to the opposing terminals on the resister. So far, so good.

But, it looks like the same red wire and purple wire are both going to the SAME post on the coil.

If those are indeed the same wires/circuits, the resister really wouldn't be doing much of anything.

If there was really a +12v wire hooked up to the (-) side of the coil, I suspect the boat would not run at all. What youre seeing is probably a red bodied ring terminal on a black or gray wire attached to the (-) side.

The purple wire attached to the (+) side of the coil is correct. The red wire there probably means that the dizzy has a Pertronix module inside.

If you want to troubleshoot the breaker, then connect the DMM to both sides of it (bypassing it). I would bet that if the breaker wont reset at all, that its probably bad though. It should reset momentarily, even if it were to trip again.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 2:41pm
Sometimes you got to hit that breaker pretty hard... just give it a little tap tappy ..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Sometimes you got to hit that breaker pretty hard... just give it a little tap tappy ..

It definitely won't reset. I pushed by the hand of Thor and it won't stay reset. It's feels like the notch or whatever it is that holds it in the reset position is broken off.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

This must be a case where it needs to be "smacked"!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 1:32pm
GRRRR, new breaker, same scenario. Wired everything up, installed, hit the key and boat turned over. Turned key back to off position. Went to re-fire and NOTHING! wtf!?!?! Alarm comes on when key is in "on" position, and stays on until I reset back to off position. I'm stumped.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Airgrabber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airgrabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 1:54pm
It sounds to me you have an issue in your start circuit. Will your breaker reset now? What I would do is unhook your battery and check all you’re wiring to ground with each switch in the on position. You’re going to need a Fluke or Simpson meter. I prefer the Simpson because it gives a more accurate reading. I see your from Florida does your boat see a lot of salt water? Either way you do have a challenge ahead.
Life is good. Work hard! Play Hard!
grim007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grim007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 2:02pm
check wires for starter for rub spots on block or connection on starter itself, breaker might be tripping because of that. 50 amp breakers don't trip on a short going to something as small like a light.
shaken not stirred
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Airgrabber Airgrabber wrote:

It sounds to me you have an issue in your start circuit. Will your breaker reset now? What I would do is unhook your battery and check all you’re wiring to ground with each switch in the on position. You’re going to need a Fluke or Simpson meter. I prefer the Simpson because it gives a more accurate reading. I see your from Florida does your boat see a lot of salt water? Either way you do have a challenge ahead.

Never seen salt. No evidence of corrosion from PO either. It lived on a lake 15 miles from me. It demonstrated same symptom again after I came in here and typed my last post, I went back out and it fired once. then nothing. I cleaned up everything I could think of, starter solenoid, batt terms, etc. I'm going to take it up to ORL Nautiques. I appreciate everyone's help on here but I simply don't have the time to be d*cking around with it any longer. I want to use it not work on it. Wife is getting pissed.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 2:23pm
Let's see if we can narrow the problem down. Disconnect the battery. Disconnect both the "load" and "line" side of the 50 amp breaker. Ohm each to ground and report back.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airgrabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 2:23pm
Wife is getting pissed I know the feeling. Good luke

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airgrabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 2:23pm
Wife is getting pissed I know the feeling. Good luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airgrabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 2:24pm
Wife is getting pissed I know the feeling. Good luck
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Wife is getting pissed.

The boat could be running perfect and most would still be "pissed"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic