Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do you know who makes the best boat?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Douge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Douge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you know who makes the best boat?
    Posted: November-17-2005 at 4:46pm
Driving myself crazy talking to all the manufacturers. I did talked to a very knowledgeable and magically bablicious girl at the local dealer who made me think CC has to be one of the top two or three.

I don't know. Can anyone here try and give me a quasi unbiased opinion as to how the CC stcks against the compet*tion.

I would be interested in a 206 limited. Big thanks from the newb!
www.IS350forums.com
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2005 at 8:46pm
Well, you made it pretty easy. I don't think
you'll find anyone who won't admit that
CC is at least in the top 2 or 3.

I think it's probably pretty undisputed that Correct Craft, Malibu, and Mastercraft are the top three. Doesn't mean there arent' other good boats out there, but these are the top of the line.

I'll give my unbiased opinion.

Mastercraft is usually the flashiest boat. It always looks slick and modern. In my opinion, Mastercraft's innovations usually have to do more with sex appeal than real functionality. But the boats do look sexy.

Malibu tries to build a solid, well performing boat. They are the last of these three to the party, and as late as 1990 were still making some pretty mediocre boats. They sell more units than the others, but they are also 5 to 10 thousand cheaper. Having the best is not for everyone. They make a very good boat now. Personally, I
believe there performance and quality are
just a shade below Craft.

Correct Craft has been in business for Seventy Five years. They are a family owned, and morally driven business. They aren't in the business of seeing how many boats they can put on the market. Rather, they limit production to about 2200 per year. They try to make those boats with the best quality in the industry. They will probably never be the flashiest, or have the latest gizmos. Instead CC focuses on true innovation like hulls that produce the best wakes for skiing, or wakeboarding. They were the first to introduce wakeboard towers, first to put water filters on their engines, etc. In the end, in my opinion, CC is the best where it counts, drivability and performance behind the boat. I've driven, skied and ridden behind all three, and for my money, CC wins hands down.

BKH

BTW, my neighbor just bought a 2004 SN206. Love that boat.

Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2005 at 9:17pm
We can always count on BKH to weight -in on most any topic with all the facts. I would have to say "ditto" to all he says. One fact I would always run by buyers whenever I was workin' the Boat Show in Cleveland for our local dealers was; you can find some people that have bought one Master Craft or Malibu but few reapeat buyers. With Correct Craft you can find LOADS of repeat buyers. Myself, I've had 6. BTW, my '03 206 was the wifes favorite of them all. Counts big when she's your best driver and has to spend all day in the boat with ya....john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2005 at 11:02pm
Hey Douge,
One more thing. Whatever choice you make, ultimatley, the best brand of boat is whatever boat you decide to buy. Have fun, enjoy the hell out of it; brag to your friends about it; go sit in the boat out in the garage in the middle of winter, and sign up for a website where you can bullsh** with a bunch of other guys or gals who also believe they bought the best brand of boat. It's a lot of fun!

Hey JBear, I always wonder, if the wife's opinion counts so big, how did you get away with trading in that boat?
   BKH
Livin' the Dream

Douge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Douge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2005 at 11:07pm
Thanks guys. I pretty much have it narrowed to a 206 limited or a Malibu RLXi. I think I need to get them side by side at the lake.

No winter here in Phoenix, ski all year around if you want.
www.IS350forums.com
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2005 at 5:31am
Originally posted by Douge Douge wrote:

I think I need to get them side by side at the lake.

I wonder if you could talk both dealers into it? ...If you do, we would all LOVE to hear the outcome!
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
goski73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goski73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2005 at 6:51am
You have to not only ski behind them but get behind the wheel. I have to say there is not a boat out there that performs in the coarse like the nautique. Drive the MasterCraft and your all over the place without major tweaking on the rudder. Having sold Malibus in the early 90's I think they are a great boat and I would be proud to own one but, I am old school and love my SN/CB. They are solid, simple and a joy to drive and ski behind.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2005 at 7:37am
Douge:

Get down to the knitty gritty to learn who builds the best boat. Compare things like gelcoat thickness, choice of fiberglass and resin materials, hardware, upholstery, carpet, and of course construction methods. I think you will then learn that CC makes the best and strongest boat period.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2005 at 8:21am
Hopefully the Magically Bablicious girl was at a CC dealer cause that's where I would have stopped looking and asked for a test drive
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2005 at 9:20am
One thing has been over looked or not mentioned yet, but what about resale value? If you compare and god forbid if you have to sell the 206 but you are going to get more for a CC when it comes time to upgrade to a new CC.
az86-2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote az86-2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2005 at 11:36am

No winter here in Phoenix, ski all year around if you want.

Hey Douge,

I personally hope you go with the Nautique. I used to work for the Bosleys at Century Marine (AZ Nautique dealer). I know they will do everything they can after the sale to make sure you are happy with your boat.
Douge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Douge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2005 at 1:45pm
Thanks fellow Zonie, yeah I talked to Stephanie I think was her name, the daughter if I am not mistaken. She really knew the boat but was also not really pushing the sales side to hard which I appreciate. The more salesy they get the less I actually buy.

Anyway, they seem like nice people. I suspect without going to the lake I would buy the CC, but admittedly I think the RXLi is nicer looking and from what I have gathered not quite as one dimensional as the CC. Correct me if I am wrong. I know neither is a particularly good for wakeboarding, but it sounds like the wedge system is better than nothing (ballast bag only on the CC).
www.IS350forums.com
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2005 at 1:58pm
You're right the 206 is a ski boat if you're looking for a more hybrid wake/ski boat check out the 216.

Not a CC but, check out the new Tige's there pretty nice.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2005 at 2:19pm

I know neither is a particularly good for wakeboarding, but it sounds like the wedge system is better than nothing (ballast bag only on the CC).

The wedge system is particularly good at ripping the rear end out of boats if you hit something. Obvioulsy malibu won't publicize, but if you do a search, you'll find photos on the net. Some of the wakeboard sites have photos.

206 is a world class ski boat, that will do some boarding. If you put a lot of weight in it, it will be fine. It will never be world class for boarding. IMO, the 206 will drive better than the BU.

216 is a very good ski boat, and a very good wakeboard boat. It will never be world class in either.

211 is a very good wakeboard boat. Properly weighted it is world class, or very close to it. If you run it light, 3 or 4 people, minimum gear, 1/2 tank of gas, it is an acceptable slalom boat, but it is a V-Drive. I know a guy who has no problem running 28 off behind his even with a full load.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Douge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Douge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2005 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by 82tique 82tique wrote:

You're right the 206 is a ski boat if you're looking for a more hybrid wake/ski boat check out the 211.

Not a CC but, check out the new Tige's there pretty nice.

No I definetly want a ski boat. I know that neither one is good for boarding, and I don't want to compromise at all for boarding. I am just saying, and I may be wrong but the Malibu has a small edge on the CC in this regard. Yes No?
www.IS350forums.com
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2005 at 5:44pm
[/QUOTE]

I am just saying, and I may be wrong but the Malibu has a small edge on the CC in this regard. Yes No?[/QUOTE]

I like Malibu boats a lot, but I've never never skied behind one...so I can't answer from experience.

niagararob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niagararob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2005 at 8:11pm
Before buying my 86 S/N I asked the pres of my ski club which owned a 87 Master Craft at the time, and his unbiased reply was CC has never made a bad boat, where as MC has had some bad years. I believe the 2001 190Prostar had to be recalled sort of to have some add-ons installed due to tracking problems. Our club purchased a Malibu in 97 and it went through 3 ECM's in 2 years. I guess I finally made my decision based on company integrity.

But can someone enlighten me on the egines being used now in CC boats. A mechanic told me that cab companies aren't getting half as many miles out of the cars with GM vortec motors. Are marine motors built with more care than the automotive ones?
Douge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Douge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2005 at 8:23pm
I don't believe the internals on the Vortec are any different then those found in automotive applications and the Vortec 5.7 is definetly the most prolific motor being used today.
www.IS350forums.com
sv211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sv211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2005 at 7:52pm
Douge,

I was recently in your shoes. We couldn't decide between the big three MB, MC, CC, and we also liked the tige' Ve' series. We talked to every dealer and setteled on the CC. The deciding factors were:

CC has been around longer

CC holds their value much better than the other boats

The dealer (you probably spoke to Melanie at Century Marine they are great.)
sv211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sv211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2005 at 8:04pm
One more thing, I tend to really pay attention to detail. In almost every boat I looked at there was something not right, screws not in all the way, lose parts etc. nothing major just little stuff.

One boat "to remain nameless" even had an interior piece fall off while we were on the test drive.....

The 211 is flawless.

P.S.
Sorry for the double post on my first visit.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2005 at 8:23pm
Welcome SV211. Great group on this site. I hope you enjoy it.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Douge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Douge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2005 at 8:47pm
SV211, thank you very much for your opinion. The only boat I saw that had a visual defect while I was looking was the CC 206L, The carpet was coming away from the wall of the walkthrough. Minor, but it was there. I do believe they make an excpetional boat though, even compared to the Malibu. I would rank them in quality CC, Malibu and MC. Just my personal opinion.
www.IS350forums.com
83SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2005 at 3:16pm
As far as the engines go. the 5.7 vortec is built on the old 5.7 block with a different intake and fuel system. The vortecs in the newer cars have a different cylinder head and intake manifold than the 5.7. Marine engines are built to truck specs with the camshafts spec'ed for marine applications. I doubt the cab companies pay for the truck engine in their cars.You can see the difference in the heads by comparing the 6.0 ZR-6 to the 5.7 Excalibar.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2005 at 6:50pm
If you HAVE to have a Chevy engine, I'd recommend the 400HP Aluminum Block 6.0L LS2 Corvette Engine That would rock!
snowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2006 at 7:32am
How does the Supra rate ,(launch22ssv)to a air211.
With my kids, old enough 6&5 it's time to get back out on the water. Back in 87 I had a 86 SN we sold it in 2000. It had a ton of hours on it, so I know the quality of C.C.
The look of the tower how it flows with the windshield on the Supra is really nice.
The tower on the 211 looks to always be in your line of sight.

snowman
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2006 at 9:26am
Snowman,

The tower on the 211, is no more in your line of sight than the tower on the 22ssv, IMO.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the tower/window configuration on either. Specifically, they have a wraparound widshield configuration which holds the driver "inside" the boat. You must look through or over the windshield to talk with or reach out to a skier on the side of the boat. I prefer the more conventional windshield on other nautique models, and the tower which goes around the driver's line of reach (FCT on 210).

As I said above, the perfect boat is the one you love. I am not a fan of the play pen bow seating in the 22ssv. I also don't believe the quality of the Supra is as high as Correct Craft. You should also see less bow rise, a cleaner wakeboard wake, and a far superior waterski wake on the 211. However, the Supra is significantly lower cost than the Nautique.

I have an acquaintance who sold Nautiques for years. He moved to a Skier's choice dealership (Skier's choice makes both Supra and Moomba) a few years back. He'll candidly admit that Correct Craft is a far superior boat, but not everyone needs or can afford a Correct Craft. He made the move for a better commute, and more responsibility within the dealership.

Go to the boat show and check them all out. Narrow down your choices, and test drive the two or three you like before you buy. Don't be fooled by the salesman into believing you need to act right away at the boat show. There will be deals out there througout the year. Good luck and have fun.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

woodboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2006 at 7:03pm
Any thoughts on Century Boats? I have a 77' Century Arabian 180. Seems to be a well built boat. It has a 351 mercruiser V-drive. Boat is 16'8" long 86" beam with a teak swim deck.
Lake Livin' Rocks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2006 at 11:03pm
I don't know much about the more modern Century's. The old woody's from 50's and 60s were quite beatiful. I see quite a few at the wooden boat show in Tahoe each year. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic