Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuild water in intake?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Oleeolson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleeolson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuild water in intake?
    Posted: August-05-2012 at 11:50pm
Just rebuilt 1985 351w ran great till some how water started entering intake? Now have water in all cylinders but none in oil pan? Had the home hose hooked up did I blow some gasket out?? What would be the cause?
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 1:37am
once in cylinders it will be in oil pan.

I would think head gasket
This is the life
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 6:59am
I believe it was Eric that reported he's had issues with the intake manifolds cracking near the T stat housing. Check it out with one of the dye crack checking systems.

No, running the engine on the hose didn't do it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 7:52am
that was me Pete. that way fills the block though.
is it water on both banks or just one side?
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 9:14am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

that was me Pete. that way fills the block though.

Yup, I couldn't sleep and the coffee hadn't kicked in yet!

Eric,
What's up with you? still working on the BIG stuff?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Oleeolson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleeolson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 11:41am
there was water on every spark plug both sides
cant imagine where it is entering
will do a compression test on all the cylinders tonight but I dont think its blown head gaskets, as its every cylinder both sides
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 2:49pm
I believe it was JoeinNY that did describe a scenerio where running it off the hose could cause this condition. But it was related exhaust manifolds.

If I remember correctly, running off the hose force feeds water into the motor. This is basically fine (albeit you can't test your impeller).

The situation happens when water is getting through the engine, but the engine is not running. Normally, for water to get up near the exhaust manifolds, the engine is running, and is kind of blowing out the water as it goes. When it is not running, but the manifolds are getting water anyway, the water can seep in through the exhaust.

Keep in mind, the manifolds have to be bad anyway for this to happen though.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 3:02pm
If the manifolds (or riser gaskets) are bad, then you dont need to be running on the hose for water to work its way into the cylinders. As soon as the engine shuts down, water can leak in.
Oleeolson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleeolson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 4:49pm
Know I'm thinking back and re thinking this - the boat back fired and seemed like it reverse rotated for a second or 2 because it blew fuel out the carb wondering if it sucked in water then? But that wouldn't explain why it was running so bad but could explain the water.
When I first put the boat in and ran it, it was running perfect then just kept getting worse and worse.
The only thing I can figure if the other issue is unrelated is maybe a gas issue?
Any way to check fuel pressure? without buying a gauge?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 1:28am
Originally posted by Oleeolson Oleeolson wrote:

Just rebuilt 1985 351w

Stock parts? And water was inside the intake runners?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Oleeolson Oleeolson wrote:

Know I'm thinking back and re thinking this - the boat back fired and seemed like it reverse rotated for a second or 2 because it blew fuel out the carb wondering if it sucked in water then?

That certainly wouldnt be the first time a motor has spun backwards for a rotation or 2 and sucked water into the cylinders. I know a few people here who have done it. Still dont have a great explanation as to why it happens, but it does happen!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic