NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Surge at WOT

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2014 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Originally posted by levinmark levinmark wrote:

Just a quick update, pulled cap off and there is no movement of the distributor shaft.

This is definitely a problem. If you have no movement, you're not getting any ignition advance. That has to be freed up before you do anything else.

He might have just been checking for wobble, rather than twist.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2014 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I believe you still have a fuel flow issue, not electrical.

Recommend diassembling the tank's dip tube and fittings.

I agree with above WOT stumble with no lower RPM problems is more than likely not enough fuel flow.
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2014 at 2:18pm
Well I didnt get achance to get out this weekend but I did touch up a few things. i cleaned all my connections and grounds, cleaned air filter which was gummed up with alot of crud, stRted boat and watched choke plate fully open.I took the volt meter and checked at choke, coil, alt. etc. and everything was reading 12 volts. I have never messed with the carb setting screws, can you guys give me some insight if I should and how, also was going to check timing . Thanks
Mark
levin
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2014 at 3:35pm
the set screws on the carb are only there for idle   wot would or should not be affected by them
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2014 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I believe you still have a fuel flow issue, not electrical.

Recommend diassembling the tank's dip tube and fittings.

I agree with above WOT stumble with no lower RPM problems is more than likely not enough fuel flow.

I second that for sure the only thing electrically that would cause that is if the spark is hopping around in the cap but you should see that issue at all ranges of throttle probably. does it sound like little gunshots in the engine area while running wot for a bit? if so then it sounds like detonation sometimes caused by a lean condition
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 5:56pm
Just an update fellas. Today I got a timing light from a friend and checked it out. She was definitely outta whack to say the least. I was reading between 14*-16* @ 600 rpm. So I retarded it back to 10* @ 600 rpm. Maybe this will help out some with the issue I have been dealing with, or at least I can check one more thing of the list
levin
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 7:08pm
I think Eddie mentioned above that maybe your advance isn't working right. Not sure what type of timing light you borrowed, but would be nice to be able to check total timing as well to make sure you are advancing to where you want to be.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 7:42pm
The light is an old snap on timer but he has another one I ask to use. I need one that will read total advance? And what would the procedure to check total advance? Thanks for the help
levin
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 8:43pm
Old school timing light is fine - just measure the arc length from 0-10 degrees & project it out to 30 degrees. You should get close to 30 deg. by 4000 RPM. If that is happening, then ignition advance isn't causing the miss.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 9:10pm
Chris, is 30 total what we want on these engines? I thought it was a bit more, 32-34 degrees, but maybe I'm wrong.
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 9:29pm
Read this old post.

I also like this article which discusses the basics (non-marine specific).
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 10:22pm
Thanks for the info guys, Chris, could you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by measuring the arc length from 0-10 degrees and projecting it out to 30. Are you saying measure out to 30 degrees on the balancer and make a mark, shoot it with the light at around 4000 rpm and the mark and indicator should be close to being lined up?
levin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 12:17am
David - I may be incorrect on the 30 degrees for Levin's '96 (not sure what ignition system he has). My comment was base on my old OEM prestolite which had only 18 deg of advance & it took 4000 RPM to get there.

Levin - What they suggested you do is to verify that the timing changes (advances) with increase in RPM. Not sure what your specs are but any system would have at least 18-20 degrees of advance (beyond initial setting) by 4000 RPM.

David is right about modern systems having up to 24 degrees coming in by 3000 RPM (in fact my current dizzy does this).

If you measure a curved line (arc length) from zero to the 10 deg mark (let's pretend it is 1 inch) then you can measure 1 inch from 10 degree mark & that would be 20 degrees. One more inch & you have 30.    You could use chord length (straight line) instead (this would work well with calipers), with same result.    A dot of white paint will make the new 30 degree mark easy to see with the strobe light. If you are getting advance, pointer should be near the new mark at high RPM. Have someone run the throttle up by 500 RPM increments, then you can even write down the results & draw a curve.

This isn't very precise, but you are just looking to see that it is in the ballpark.

I hope this helps.

Ben Franklin
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 8:38am
Thanks Chris, I understand what your saying now. I'll try to get to it tonight after work and see what happens. Fyi, I have a prestolite distributor with electronic inginition.
levin
echobravoecho View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echobravoecho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 7:32pm
Prestolite distributor with electronic points, right?

Back to the timing light. You removed about 6 degrees of initial timing advance, yes? That should have an impact on your total advance and any high end miss. But as mentioned above, you should check you distributor for mechanical advance correct operation in case it is stuck and the previous solution was to advance the initial timing to compensate for the problem.
Pull the cap from the distributor, see if you can look down the dist. behind the armature plate (the plate that holds your electronic points). You are looking for the limit plate and/or the springs. If you can't see it, pull the electronic points and the armature plate out, then take a screwdriver and exercise the limit plate, turning the plate and letting the springs snap shut. There are weights attached to the springs that act on the limit plate, you should be able to move them against the spring force and check for lack of a better word, linear movement. If you can't move the plate with your screwdriver, or there is some dragging and scratching going on, then your timing advance is stuck and needs to be serviced. That would cause a no timing advance condition.

Reassemble the dist., start the engine and recheck the initial timing at idle. Adjust again if it moved. Rev the motor and you should see the timing mark start to move away from the pointer. It should move about an inch or more away from the pointer. That tells you that the mechanical advance (the springs and weights inside the dist. ) is working. I believe that the total advance should be all in by 2500 rpm, you could also check and record the max advance since you are working on a high rpm problem. If your engine bogs at high load at 3000 rpm, then the total advance could be too high, and should have been addressed yesterday when you retarded the timing from 16 to 10 degrees.

Did you mention what the RPM was when the fat man pulled the rope? If the RPM was over 2500, then the mechanical advance was all in by then, and then the problem would point to the carb.

If the RPM was below 2500, then the distributor still might have a problem. This is kind of an aside, but I once replace the breaker points on a 57 MGA with the electronic points in an effort to repair a intermittent loss of spark problem. I was hoping that the laws of physics would be suspended in my case because I couldn't figure out why the engine would run fine for an hour, then suddenly quit. Turns out the distributor shaft was broken in such a way that the thing would spin fine for a hour or two, then suddenly skip and stop running. My MG mechanic found it, not I. The point being that the I tried to repair the thing using the electronic points, when the breaker points were just fine.

Speaking of that, it might do you good to pull your distributor out of the engine and inspect all the little bits. If that is all good, then I'd focus my attention on the carb.

Speaking of carbs, I've got the same engine with the red-hot marine DUI ignition in place of the factory electronic ignition, properly timed, the spark is hotter than hades, and I still have an off idle bog when hammering the throttle. My carb still needs a lot of tuning, and it's new.
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2014 at 8:49am
Thanks for the insight Ed. I'm planning on digging in on it today after work or tomorrow, so we'll see what we find. If by chance the plate and springs in the distributor are not moving freely as they should be, is there any way to lubricate them or is that a no no?
levin
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2014 at 1:58pm
Ok guys, I was able to get a chance to get to the boat this morning. I took the cap, rotor, and plate off and took screw driver and was able to move the advance weights without any limitations. Here is a pic of the balancer with the timing marks.

[/IMG]

You can see that it is marked over to 30 degrees as indicated with the marker. I ran it for awhile to let warm up and rechecked initial timing to 10 degrees and proceeded to rev engine taking timing readings

Here are my findings: 10 degrees @ 600 rpm idle
                      17 degrees @ 2000 rpm
                      19 degrees @ 3000 rpm
                      22 degrees @ 4000 rpm

Are these normal readings that I am looking at and are there any other suggestions. Probly wont be able to get it on the water soon, but am anxious to see how she goes.

Thanks again for the help

levin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2014 at 10:32pm
I would say that your timing is not advancing enough. I don't know if this is causing the running problem but it should be fixed anyway.

I had bought a the same dizzy that you have from ebay, & then I sent it to a dizzy repair shop to have the advance curve dialed in.   He lengthened the grooves for the weight guides & put in lighter springs.   It was $30 well spent.

Ben Franklin
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2014 at 9:50pm
Just additional information from today. I warmed up engine and ran it up to 4000 rpm a couple times and did a compression test and here are my results along with pictures of the plugs.

1-150
2-145
3-145
4-152
5-150
6-148
7-148
8-159

This is plug #5, not as sooty/black as the others
[/IMG]

This what all the others looked like.

Any thoughts on compression readings and the plugs?
[/IMG]
levin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 9:49am
Levin - I was having similar plug fouling. The cause was bad valve guide seals. I was able to change them without removing heads. To keep valve from falling in, I fed rope into the cyl.

Your compression #s look very healthy!

Ben Franklin
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 10:36am
I concur with Chris,
Something is amiss with the advance.

With initial at 10-12,
the final should be about 36 degrees and all in before 3500.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 11:05am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

The cause was bad valve guide seals.

Would a leak down test show this?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 12:08pm
I have found that Valve Guides can be a common issue with the Chevy Engines. I have a 1987 305 that has had leaky valve guides for years. At each start-up it puffs some smoke and then it goes away. This particular car gets very little use each year.
echobravoecho View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echobravoecho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 2:05pm
Minimum compression around 100, new around 170. Yours are great.

On the plugs, you have to determine if the black build up is carbon or oil. It's hard to tell from the photo.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg

It looks like carbon from here, which would be weak ignition or over-rich mixture. Or just a lot of idling around, with either or both weak ignition or rich mixture.

Fix the ignition first, there is no use to adjust the carb until the spark is hot and correctly timed. You already know that your mechanical advance is not advancing, I suggest that you fix that next. You've already cleaned the grounds and installed a new coil. I don't know if anyone else does this, but whenever I find a fouled a plug I clean it and then check for a visible, fat blue spark before re-installing them. Even new plugs. This is from years of messing with motorcycles with weak ignitions. Plug the plug back into the cap, lay it against the side of block and hit the starter. Big blue spark tells you that the plug and plug wire are good, yellow weak spark means replace plug and/or wire. Yellow weak spark on all 8 means bad coil or primary coil wire or rotor and/or cap. Usual safety disclaimers apply.

After that, time to move on to the carb.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 5:37pm
Have you been burning any oil?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 8:06pm
i feel like i am eating a slice of humble pie with the 15 or 20 times in my life i replaced chev valve seals ...ford mushroom seals work the best   god did i just say that?   and i would say no on the seals showing up on a leak down test. they re only there for drip control when the valve is open if i am not mistaken
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 8:15pm
i think at the end of the day you will after all the timing,distributer fixes you are going to find a carb or fuel lean condition
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 8:17pm
To answer a couple questions, the plugs are sooty and not oily, I guess that means running pretty rich. I replaced the plugs last fall during winter layup and have only put about 30 hours on it this year, and no, I do not burn any oil. I check it before every outing and after and looks like just changed it. Is replacing the valve seals a fairly simple process. I know I can handle it with a little guidance if I do have to. Plan is to get out this weekend to see how she goes, I plan on changing plugs and testing each on to test spark. Thanks guys for all the input with this.
levin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 8:56pm
I wouldn't think valve seals would cause a surge though, even if you did need them and it sounds like you don't.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 9:11pm
If the plugs were not oily, I agree bad vavle seals probably not in play.   BTW my ('89) 351W has the newer style stem seals. They were hardened & cracked when I replaced them (was at about 1000 hr mark). It was not a 1 day job for me, more like 1 cyl per day!

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic