Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Tank

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Little_Howie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little_Howie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Tank
    Posted: April-05-2004 at 5:10pm
I have an older Ski Nautique (1980) That has been on the trailer for a couple of years now. In '03 I had the Stringers replaced, The summer was looking up, however I ran into 2 problems;

The first, an electric drain which was addressed in an earlier thread on this site (thank you to all that gave me their input)

The Second, The inside of the fuel tank was full of rust, I flushed out the tank (several times) and put in an in-line fuel filter.

This has temporarily solved the issues of clogging up the carb, however I would like to replace the tank, I have had trouble finding a tank that would work. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.
Past Nautique owner View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Past Nautique owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2004 at 5:28pm
Have you tried searching eBay for a tank? I have seen those cramped spaces in the nautique before, it isn't going to be fun to change. Maybe just take out the back seating area and strap down a plastic tank.

As far as the drain on the battery, I would change out the voltage regulator (make sure it is marine grade) I went through about 3 of them when I owned my 1980 nautique.

I sold mine because I spent every weekend working on the boat rather than enjoying the water. The only problem is that the guy I sold it to keeps dragging me back in and asking for help fixing it. Why don't you just sell the Nautique and buy a real boat, like a Lund?
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2004 at 7:16pm
A LUND? YEA! HELL , HOWBOUT A BAYLINER.
HAVE YOUR TANK LINED WITH EPOXY-FUEL TANK LINER. CALL ENGELS 513-829-7255.AND NEVER WORRY ABOUT YOUR FUEL TANK AGAIN.
AND DON'T BUY YOUR PARTS FROM AUTOZONE !
kenny g
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2004 at 9:50pm
if your tank is sound( ie not about to rust through) i would try some of the tank lining kits from eastwood or por15 as a stop gap measure. i'll post a link later of a tank maker in fl.

i buy my boats and cars with the intention of working on them. i enjoy it.

jon View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2004 at 3:17am
there is nothing more sporty than running the local slalom course behind an aluminum Lund "walleye Boat"
larry williams View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larry williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2004 at 3:19am
who buys those kinds of boats anyway?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2004 at 10:36am
I had one of the great Lund XXX Superski Unlimited Course Kings (abbreviated s.u.c.k.) and boy what a boat! I loved it until I cranked up that GT-40 one morning and all the rivets just popped right out and she sank. But it didn't rust! So I reluctantly went back to CC and fiberglass. (That's the boat and not a cocktail)
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little_Howie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2004 at 10:54am
Lund, I think those are for past nautique owners who have become to old and fat to ski, all these people do now is park their "fishing boat" in prime water and get in our way. Past Nautique Owner, I hope that you are not one of those people.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2004 at 11:10am
Howie, I forgot to add that if you're set on a new tank, you can find the Tempo plastic tanks in an 18 gallon size that has the fittings placed to where they should line up with your existing, for about $130. Your existing is probably a 20 gallon however. They sell these thru West Marine and other companies. And just like the great Lund, they will never rust.       
ReidP
1973 Mustang

kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2004 at 11:43am
hey reid,please don't do that again.
i laughed so hard i almost pissed myself !
kenny g
Past Nautique Owner View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Past Nautique Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2004 at 2:19pm
Fair enough. You do have to admitt some defeat when you enjoy fishing on the water as much as if not more than skiing, however I would put up the durability of a Lund against any Nautique on the market, past or present. I also believe that CC tried to make a entry into the fishing arena with the "Fish Nautique", but they failed miserably.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the low rumble of the Nautiques more than anybody, and had a lot of fun knee boarding, air-chairing and skiing. But when the time is spent more fixing and repairing these vessels, the fun is kind of drained. It is like owning a Ford, looks good parked in the driveway, but don't count on it to be a truck.

I think that CC really missing the market with their out of line pricing. Even though they have a "entry level" boat, that boat still comes in over $30k. To me, it is insane to spend that much on a boat. Especially if you live in the midwest and can only use it pretty much from May to September.

Why am I on this forum site you may ask... I have a brother who has to keep his '80 running, so I am looking for ideas, as well as giving them.

I have a lot of respect for you guys who have the patience to keep supporting and working on your 'crafts', even though they are not "Correct".

PNO
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2004 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Little_Howie Little_Howie wrote:

Lund, I think those are for past nautique owners who have become to old and fat to ski

Howie,

There are some of us out here that are too old and have replacement parts that wouldn't give up the Nautique for love or money. OR, maybe it's just that the woman who lets me live with her needs a driver and I don't want to see her hangin' with you young bucks. She might find out what she's been missing!

As she says, 'ski til you die', and I am sure she will!

Don   
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2004 at 4:40pm
i think i'll go down to the bog and warm my feet.....

to funny.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2004 at 8:33pm
Well if you look at the history of CC they have made several differnt models, ski, cruisers, runabouts and fishing boats. Now the last twenty years or so of there almost eighty years of existents they have focused on compition ski boats which we all love and enjoy. You can still find the older Fish Nautique's and a market for them in Florida where the saltwater fishermen play and CC was born. The Fish Nautique is primarily a saltwater fishing boat, not a bass or muskie john boat. I would venture to say that the resale value of Fish Nautique to the same year Ranger or Lund is several thousand more. I guess I'll have to check it out and see.

I don't know about the rest of you but for me I spend very little time tinkering to get the boat to run during the season. Most of the time I send working on the boat is in restoration to look factory new in the off season, then again once all that's done I'll have to get another so that I can keep pace with reid and his collection.

Was Lund or Ranger even around in 1925? doubt it.
curbsidegold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curbsidegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2004 at 2:29am
I had the same problem with a fuel tank that was heavily rusted both inside and out. I brought the tank to a commercial "Stripping and Derusting" shop and for $60 bucks they dipped it in a solution ... it came out looking brand new! I added a few coats of red Rustoleum to freshen it up further.

I should have stopped there, but the guy at the derusting shop recommended I put in a tank liner ... sold as a do-it-at-home three step kit from the local Harley Davidson shop. The product is called KREEM. Big mistake! I thought I followed the directions closely, but the lining (when dry) flaked and pulled away from the inside of the tank. to get the flakey KREEM out, I have to swirl around 5 pounds of roofing nails to loosen it up further, and then fill the tank with a few gallons of M.E.K (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) to dissolve the rest. The M.E.K worked great and could be bought at LOWES for about $11/gallon.

The moral of the story ... get the tank commercially dipped in de-rusting solution, keep the tank full of gas, and deal with the rust as it comes.   Anyone out there need a few gallons of slightly used M.E.K???
sm
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2004 at 4:25am
When my tank went I bought plastic at West Marine. They have any size/shape you want. As an added benefit I can take the rear center cushion out and see haow much gas I have. This is great when filling up at the dock to prevent spillover into the lake
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2004 at 10:20am
steve ,thats true,but today new products have been developed.the new epoxy fuel tank liner has saved many of auto,truck and marine tanks.
and its guaranteed.
its been my experance,if you look inside your tank with a flashlite,it looks clean.now take a mirror on a stick,and look closely at the top of the tank inside.where the moisture accumulates[ from marina gas-just my opinion ] thats where the rust flakes off and makes its way to your filter and possibly to your carburetor.
kenny g
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2004 at 11:28am
Are all of your tanks steel? I have an aluminum tank in mine and thought it was OEM. If I had to replace the tank I would be looking for an aluminum tank over a plastic tank.
Past Nautique Owner View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Past Nautique Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2004 at 11:33am
79Nautique, who said anything about ranger? I looked on the Lund sight and the best I could find was that fact that they started using aluminum in 1945. What they used prior to that or if they even existed under the name Lund, I do not know. But since you asked, I will look into it. As far as durability, try taking you nautque out on water with anything bigger than a 1-2 foot chop, then let me know how your baby holds up. Better yet, let me know how you back holds up when you hit those waves.

Bottom line I guess is that you can't even compare the two. Different boats, different applications. I would try to fish in rough water with a CC and by that same token, I would prefer to ski behind a Nautique.

Little howie, your boat is 24 years old, and I assume it has the original tank, if fact I would garuntee it. Sediment build up after time and that could be what you are seeing in the filters. If you go to the trouble of taking the tank out to clean it up, I like the idea of finding a plastic tank to replace it.

FYI, Lund makes it pretty easy to replace a tank by installing it down the middle of the hull, with it's own compartment to get at it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little_Howie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2004 at 1:21pm
This whole argument about Lund and Correct Craft is a rather “silly” one. Each manufacturer is the best in their respective category. In fear of being shunned by this forum, I do have to admit, that in addition to having an old CC, I also have a Lund. I have never fished out of the CC and never skied behind the Lund. While being totally honest I have to admit that I am one of those fat old people who can no longer enjoy being pulled behind a boat, however I am excited that in the future I will be able share my boat(s) with my son (4 months old) and my nephew/niece? (due 12/3/04.) I just hope they do not opt for sailing.

I appreciate everyone’s help, I have opted for the reconditioning of the existing tank, I have brought the POR-15 Fuel Restoration Kit. Maybe I will coax my brother, who used to own a Nautique, to come over and give me a hand. I will even by him some of that awful Canadian beer that he enjoys so much, which is another topic altogether.

Thanks again for the advice and laughs.

LH
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2004 at 2:04pm
79 i think the older boats like mine,68. were steel.but don't hold me to that.
as far as i can tell,mine is original.steel,and in like new condition.
still has the print intact.
for anyone who might be interested this one is made by the tempo co.
L-O-N-G CRUISE 18 gal
cleveland ohio

my next door neighbor down at the lake has a 79 nautique with a 350 chevrolet.man i love it it has a lot more power than my old rebuilt chrysler.
kenny g
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2004 at 6:14pm
25 gallon steel on my nautique.

try these guys.   aluminum tanks
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2004 at 2:22am
Kenny, quit bitchin about that Mopar! It's smaller and giving up quite a few horses, but still one heck of an engine. (No one under 40 can comment on that) If the lack of power ever gets the best of you, let me know and I'll help hook you up to easily make that Chrysler a Chevy eater. I'll be posting photos soon of my new/old 413 c.i. Mopar we're installing in our '68 Nautique within the week. Tom, the exhaust elbow thing just won't leave me alone. Learning is fun, but getting expensive.

I think I may need to install a SECOND gas tank.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2004 at 3:44am
At the 2002 Reunion I asked Walt Meloon what my boat was it was registered as a 72 Mustang but the previous owner had a thing about saws and fiberglass and paint. He looked at it for a couple of minutes and when I opened the Engine cover he immediately saw the burgendy color inside and the Wakesusa 318 and declared it a 66 Barracuda. He also said in all of his years that 318 was probably the best engine they ever put in a boat. It has run like a scared rabbit since the rebuild.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2004 at 12:39am
I used Kreem on my steel "Long Cruise" and it worked great. Not sure what happened to the other post who mentioned it flaked, but it's a popular product around old car shows.

I did have to fiberglass patch the bottom. The old '64 had imprints from the pad under the tank from years of sitting/bouncing. Rust was not only on the inside, but on the bottom as well. When I removed and water blasted...the hole was visible...lucky since I had not yet experienced the leak.

Not sure what would make the liner "flake" though....maybe your insides were galvanized??

Different subject, but if you buy an aftermarket Harley Tank, they won't Warranty unless you Kreem it!
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic