Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Nautique vs Barefoot Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Nautique vs Barefoot Nautique
    Posted: November-27-2005 at 2:48pm
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the ride comparison between the Ski and Barefoot Nautique? In other words, I know that in rough water the SN (seemingly flat hull) is not forgiving on the jarring, where as the V hull Ib/Ob is somewhat less harsh. Knowing the BN has a deeper V than the SN, I was interested in finding out if there would be a noticeable difference.
Anyone? Thoughts?
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
newshuz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newshuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2005 at 8:23pm
What years? I know that the 2001 Barefoot has a differnt hull shape (deeper "V"?) than the 2001 Ski Nautique. I think 1989 was the last year for the 2001. I am a relative newbie so I am not sure what year the hull design changed.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2005 at 9:27pm
Newshuz, I really hadn't thought of the year model. I currently have an '89 SN. My cousin has a '97 SN, and we had an '86 SN previously. Even though the 86 & 89 are 2001 hulls, the 97 is not and also has that "jarring" feel in rough water.
I guess I'm am trying to decipher since the Barefoot Nautique has the deeper V if it would be more forgiving in rough water.

It probably seems like an odd question but since the wife had a back injury a few years ago, a day riding in the SN causes her a few days of pain. When we use our Ib/Ob Sea Ray,
she doesn't suffer. I was looking for a happy medium. After spending most of the weekend winterizing all the "toys" I was thinking if the Barefoot Nautique or even a Sport Nautique was a little "softer" maybe we could compromize, hence the hull question.

Still open to any thoughts. d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2005 at 10:11pm
Duffnit,

I know it's a lot more money, but the 211 is really smooth in rough water. It could also
probably replace your I/O in terms of room and
functionality. I have a 210, which handles rough water pretty well, but IMO not as well
as the 211.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2005 at 8:24am
Thanks bkhallpass. I actually cosidered that as well. Since the engine in the 211 and I'm guessing the 210 is located closer to the stern would it mean that the weight displacement changes the ride? (nice boat by the way) Truly speculation on my part. Does that sound reasonable?
Danny

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2005 at 9:27am
Weight distribution is part of it. The 211 and 210 are also heavier, and have slight V Hulls to them. The 211 is also a bit wider. Test drives are free, so it might be worth a spin in the 211.

To answer your original question, all other things being equal, a boat with a deeper V will generally handle rough water better than a boat with less V or deadrise.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2005 at 6:18am
BKHallpass, how does the 210 and 211 track in comparrison to the standard Ski Nautique?

Your right, a test drive couldn't hurt. Always loved the 2001's, in paticular the '89. Just thinking if the Barefoot offered a softer ride via the deeper vee, then perhaps a lateral trade vs. an upgrade would be worth consideration.
Still interested in all options.
Danny

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2005 at 7:57am
Duffnit,

Not really a fair comparison. The Ski Nautique
is a world class compet*tion ski boat. It's all about tracking, great handling through a course, flat and soft wakes, and low spray even at very short line lengths. If you are a hardcore skier, you probably won't be satisfied with any V-Drive. If you Ski below 28 off, the
spray get pretty tough with the V-Drive.

Now comparing the 210 and 211 to other V-Drives, they track very well. I've driven Malibu, MC, and Ski Centurion, and Nautique tracked the best.

If you are going to ski at all, I wouldn't even
bother with the 210. The 211 is better. You might consider the 216 as well. It is a direct drive, but longer, and a bit heavier than the ski nautique. It skis very well, it wakeboards very well, but does neither at world class levels. It will handle rough water better than the ski nautique, but not as well as the V-Drives.

My point is every boat is a compromise. It's just a matter of finding the balance that works best for you. You don't know if you don't test drive, and test ski. If you find you hate the 211, that's great because you won't have second   thoughts as to whether you made the right decision.

2001s were/are great boats. Wake was a little hard by today's standards, but they also handled rough water better than other boats of the era. Because the wake is somewhat hard and peaky, the boats have been resurrected as very popular wakeboard boats, offering a great wakeboard wake for a relatively low cost. But, if you're trying to make the wife happy, you can't beat the creature comforts of the newer boats.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2005 at 4:29pm
I have a friend w/ a bad back but loves to go out on the weekends with us. He spends most of the boating time in the back seat where the ride is much softer and this makes all the difference in the world to him.
bobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2005 at 7:09pm
I have a 1992 Nautique Excel, which is a Barefoot Nautique and an 02 SAN. The excel handle the chop pretty well. Week-ends at my lake it can get pretty cut-up and a bad back would be very happy in the back seat. You can always get a decent jarring in the drivers and front seat I think. Newer boat feels a little smoother but not too much actual differnce in jarring effects. I have the excle for sale now 'cuz I can't have 2 boats. Drive mine in your near virginia.
92 Nautique Excel
02 SANTE
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2005 at 9:51am
Thanks BKHallpass. You seem very well versed
in the know of these boats and I appreciate your input.
You mentioned compromise and my mind was engaged.
While the newer boats are flashier, they just don't appeal to me. Somewhat nostalgic for the older CC's I know in the long run I'd be longing for the ole' 2001. With your replies I realized I already have a working compromize. SN for skiing, Sea Ray for riding.
Guess I'll be less retentive about daily launching and loading since I seldom leave our boats in overnight. I suppose a couple of covered lifts would be an alternative too.

Darrel thanks. While I agree with your post, the wife doesn't care for that. There are times when we let the twins take turns to drive and ride in the rear. I agree, much more forgiving.

Bobby thanks for the offer! Congrats on the new '02. I work in Va from time to time. I might have to look you up next trip.
Danny

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2005 at 11:31am
Originally posted by duffnit duffnit wrote:

Thanks BKHallpass. You seem very well versed
in the know of these boats and I appreciate your input.

Well, I don't know about all that. The wife would probably say I've just got too much time on my hands, but I do love these boats.

Good luck, and maybe just for fun you'll get to
take a test drive in one of the new boats this
summer. They are pretty darn nice.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2005 at 9:27pm
Glad to see someone else appreciates BKH's knowledge for these boats. Hope all is good out there in Calif for ya BKH. Just heard from my skiing buddy up in Ohio; 8 (!) inches of blowing snow today. Told him I was goin skiing tomorrow over in Lakeland with a show ski club and he hung up on me. Don't know why.......john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2005 at 11:54pm
Hey Jbear. Rain here in CA all week, but it's supposed to clear tomorrow. Slipped a disc in my back last weekend, so looks like my water ski season may be over for a while. That's ok, time to rest up for snow skiing.

Odd, but whenever I mention the weather to my snow bound friends, they seem to turn the conversation to mortgage payments, and I hang up Enjoy your ski. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2005 at 2:29pm
BKH; Just sent ya a message on the reunion thread. Sorry about the back. Had mine fixed about 8 years ago and no trouble since. Didn't ski after all. Was cool just to ride in the boat and handle lines for show practice...john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
skiweb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 10:43am
Duffnit,
For comparison sakes, I have owned several older and newer Nautiques. My current arsenal includes a '71 SN and an '84 Barefoot 2001. The Ski has a much rougher ride but better handling characteristics than the Barefoot. However the Barefoot has a MUCH better ride in rough water and in addition has a larger wake for wakeboarding. I love both boats and if I had to pick which is better...I probably couldn't. I am looking to sell the Bearfoot though. It is mint with the H.O. 454 and a wakeboard tower. Let me know if you would be interested.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2005 at 10:54am
Skiweb, thanks for your input, and your offer.
Backhallpass has helped me realize I have a good working compromise at least for now.

Would love to see photos of both CC's you have. Hope you'll post them. d    
Danny

Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2005 at 9:02am
I've got an '88 Barefoot (pic in my sig). I would agree that it's got a smoother ride (and bigger wake) due to the deeper hull than the same year model SN. The back seat is definitely a smoother ride than the front and I still get a complaint or two from the wife when we hit a roller :)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic