Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

trans coupling .003 out

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
zims350 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zims350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trans coupling .003 out
    Posted: August-23-2012 at 10:35pm
As the title states installed a brand new a.r.e. double taper shaft and cutless bearings trying to get the thing aligned. The gap followed when turned so I pulled back the shaft and put a dial indicator on the trans side coupling and shows the coupling is .003 out. Is this out of spec? When aligned as best as possible and bolted together prop will turn with one strong finger but reaches an area where it becomes a little harder to turn. Would .003 on the coupling cause this? Did this before the a.r.e. shaft which is why i bought a new shaft. Might be time to send the trans off to Eric for a rebuild I guess. Sorry to be long winded was going to take the boat up north in an hour but I guess it will stay in the garage this weekend :( P.S. haven't tried aligning the strut as it looks good and figured it would spin tight consistantly when turned. Thank you.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 10:55pm
I suggest you pull the coupling half off the trans. It's splined so it may take some time to set up in the lathe with the dial indicator(dial it in to the splines) Then take a real light face cut. It should not run out the .003". Take a close look at the splines too. Maybe they are goofed up. Any lateral ply in the trans output shaft?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
zims350 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zims350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 12:45am
There is not any play in the output shaft that I can feel by hand. Only a .001 or so on the outer rim.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 8:09am
Did you check for any run out on the trans output shaft itself. Just making sure it's actually the trans coupling half with the problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
zims350 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zims350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2012 at 1:27am
Sorry I was 9hrs north for the last 6 days and haven't looked in to the boat further. I am hping the trans couplin will slide off without wrecking the seal so I can check the output shaft then have the coupling turned down. Anything I should be aware of pulling it apart? Thanks for your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic