Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Show Me Your Spare Tire Mount (early 90's SN)

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Show Me Your Spare Tire Mount (early 90's SN)
    Posted: August-24-2012 at 4:35am
I purchased a '94 SN (shown on its trailer) and am having a spare tire and hanger mounted to the trailer on Monday (welded). I am looking for the proper placement. I thought I saw an earlier string on this topic; however, I was unable to locate it. As always, thanks in advance!

Also, does anyone have the precise specifications for the "steps" that originally sat in front of and behind the fenders on this trailer—I would like to make and replace these!?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 8:18am
Brian,
I'm curious why you want the mount welded on? There are several bolt on aftermarket brackets available. I'd say the best suited for your trailer is the one that angles the tire outward so it would fit near the bow on the tongue opposite the jack stand just forward of the "ski Nautique" tag on the trailer.

Take a look through the diary section. You'll most likely find some pictures.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 10:22am
Brian,
Regarding the length, I know they are special to the trailer but I never realized they were 7 leaf.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 11:18am
Just make sure you have enough length to it on the outrigger post. Mine is bolt-on RH side as far forward as I can get it and on steep ramps the bow of the boat will ride on it ever so slightly. I put metal on my side steps.

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
LilRichard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Brian,
I'm curious why you want the mount welded on? There are several bolt on aftermarket brackets available.

Hey - something we agree on!
1989SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 12:50pm

Here's mine. I like the way it is mounted, but not where it is. Everything is great until the truck and trailer are at more than about a 30 degree angle to each other, and then I can't open the tailgate. I'm going to move it this winter.
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 2:06pm
Brian,

Regarding the steps, a lot of members on here have replaced them with diamond plate as a permanent, no rot solution.

I personally prefer the look of the carpeted step so when I restored my trailer, I cut replacements out of doug-fir. I did mine in one piece which may or may not have been correct (the PO had already removed the rotted originals when I purchased).

I don't have dimensions because the boat is up at the lake, but here are some photos. I also added 6 coats of spar varnish after cutting all holes, etc...before adding carpet.

One thing to be careful with is the curvature angle of the very front of the step where it hugs the rail. I did not get mine perfect and there's a very minor gap there that's hardly noticeable with the carpet.

Also, Ram-lin is still around and will sell you the original carpet and new fenders if you need them. You can find a bit cheaper elsewhere but they won't pass the Pete test :).
Doug
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 2:09pm
Final install....
Doug
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 2:12pm
One more....

Doug
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 3:04pm
That trailer is beautiful.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
pepatrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepatrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 5:35pm
Glad to see another Avalanche pulling a Nautique in Forsyth County..

gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 5:46pm
Doug,

Wow. Your trailer is stunning! I would like to restore mine to look JUST LIKE yours ... any chance you could share how you got it to that point? Too bad you didn't make a template for those steps! I will see what I can come up with, but again, I am curious about the steps that you took to get that trailer to look like it does ... fantastic (feel free to PM).
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 7:07pm
Peter,

I looked through the diaries ... great tip. Looks like there are several mounting options (I am inclined to prefer the position in front of the bow, directly across from the trailer jack). As for the welding, I have a "top notch" local trailer outfit that suggested that the welded option would perhaps be more secure? Any concerns other than increased cost with going that route. Alternatively, could you (or perhaps another CC Fan member) point me to a manufacturer or part # of a bolt-on mount? As always, thanks in advance!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 7:13pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 8:09pm

Offset and angled spare tire mount

Do you know of one made for 6 lug rims.

I know this could be re drilled but it would be nice to take one out of the box and use it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Offset and angled spare tire mount

Do you know of one made for 6 lug rims.

I know this could be re drilled but it would be nice to take one out of the box and use it.

Kevin,
Even though it doesn't state 6 lugs, the picture looks like there are 3 holes drilled at 120 degrees from each other. I give etrailer a call.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 11:03pm
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Fulton/FHDSTC0101.html

Sorry about the lazy link. Bought this mount for my 93 Sport Trailer. Painted it black and mounted on the starboard side, up front under the bow. It was recommended by TRBenj and worked great for me.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2012 at 2:23am

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 1:37am
Started work on my '94 trailer over the weekend ... my hope is to produce a trailer that looks as good as Marty's or Doug's; anyway, here is a picture of the cardboard templates that I crafted—next step marine plywood. I made a tracing of the templates on some craft paper if anyone is interested in them ... (my feeble contribution to this site as I am learning)!?

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 2:28am
Brian,

I'd love a copy of those templates. I'll send you a PM.

Kevin
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 3:24pm
Bringing this thread back from the dead a bit... While Kroundy had these templates, I scanned them and made a CAD file/PDF copy of them... I don't think I can post them here, unless they can go in the reference section, but I am happy to share so you don't have to pay the $10 shipping. Since diamond plate would not want to hang over the edge of the trailer frame, this will likely work only as a rough template for that application.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 3:38pm

I am VERY interested....... Need to adjust for a V drive setup.... 91 BFN.

Thanks man!

Steve

Before:

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 3:42pm
Steve - PM your email... its a pretty large file,    if you have a fedex/kinko's or a large format printer, you should be able to get them printed pretty easily.

Trailer layout looks to be really similar to the pattern.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 3:42pm
Marty:

How did you do the Diamond Plate? I am toying with the idea of diamond plate ..... got my plastic bow stops already........

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 3:52pm
This reminds me - Brian, I need your mail address. Sent you a PM. I'm ready to return your templates, but your address was covered up by a sticker and I can't read all the numbers.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

I am VERY interested....... Need to adjust for a V drive setup.... 91 BFN.

Thanks man!

Steve

Before:

I've got a v-drive, curious, why would one need to adjust for a v drive setup?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 8:07pm
Pretty sure the side steps are a little different.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 8:37pm
We'll see - I now have the template...

The guide posts are different on the V-drive and I'll report on any other differences.........
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 8:43pm
Ok after looking for a bit...... they are quite different back of the fender and the spacing b/n fender and bunk is much narrower........

I will work on a second template....... when the trailer comes back from blasting and paint, I need your help Dreaming.... scanning and digitizing......
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 10:49pm
Steve - No problem... I can scan and digitize; however, I'll need an original to do that from. If you can scan it locally and just email me a JPG file or a PDF file and some dimensions, it may be cheaper than snail mail for a tube of paper. I'm happy to do it either way.        For others who go down this road in the future, I think it would be really helpful to have the outline of the trailer frame (for cutting diamond plate) and then a second outline for the overhanging wood/carpet style.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic