NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WOT only 1100rpm, no power

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 1:00am
The BTC / ATC (Before / After top dead center) is for setting the engines timing. You need a timing light hooked up to #1 spark plug wire to check it. The pointer is where you check the degrees of advance, the engine must be running to check it. Have you, or a mechanic checked it? Timing should be one of the first things to check if no power under load.

The missing teeth on the ring gear is a problem. It can make a grinding noise when attempting to crank the engine. Typically, engines will stop in the same locations when shut off. If the missing teeth happen to be where the starter drive is- when the engine is shut off, the next time you try to start it,there is nothing for ther starter drive to engage into to spin the engine over. The missing teeth would have nothing to do with lack of performance once the engine is running tho.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 9:24am
Braedon,
That ring gear is in pretty bad shape. There's even evidence that the engine was running with the starter partially engaged. How's the pinion gear on the starter look? I'd have to say it's pretty chewed up as well. Both the ring gear and starter pinion gear need replacing.

When that "mechanic" worked on the engine, did he even check the timing?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nautiquelover1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 2:31pm
the pinion gear on the starter is completly fine, looks as if it were brand new the whole way around. the starter has definatly had some water in it a few times thats why im assuming it went bad. is that ring gear hard/expensive to replace, also is there a way for me to turn it so the starter can engage?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by nautiquelover1988 nautiquelover1988 wrote:

is that ring gear hard/expensive to replace, also is there a way for me to turn it so the starter can engage?

No, The ring gear isn't hard to replace. It involves more man hours than skill. You'll need to jack the tail end of the engine up, remove the trans and bell housing and then the flywheel. The gear itself will be available at your auto supply. It's a heat shrink fit onto the flywheel.

No, I really would not try to screw around with turning the engine over to a good spot for the starter pinion gear to engage. Think of it this way - what happens when the engine turns over to where the teeth are missing??

I'd like to see a picture of the starter pinion gear.

What about that "mechanic" and the engine timing??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 3:47pm
You can turn the motor with a socket on bolt in the front of crankshaft
Brian
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

Then, as mentioned, what happens when the starter pinion gear get's to the missing teeth on the ring gear???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 4:12pm
U refer back to what I already said of course : )
Brian
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 4:15pm
Ive herd to lay a two by four across the boat is the best way to lift the lower end up to disconnect the tranny and bell housing in order to change the flywheel with the boat still in the water, what do you think about this, does anyone have better methods?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 4:49pm
You need to disconnect the prop shaft and slide it back which would normally require loosening the shaft log. This could cause a pretty good leak. I dont think I would chance flooding my boat.

Put it on the lift or trailer.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by nautiquelover1988 nautiquelover1988 wrote:

Ive herd to lay a two by four across the boat is the best way to lift the lower end up to disconnect the tranny and bell housing in order to change the flywheel with the boat still in the water, what do you think about this, does anyone have better methods?

No, not really!! The best method without having a means of hoisting is to use two small bottle jacks under the exhaust manifolds. The search feature is a wonderful tool!!! Did you hear about the 2x4 from that "mechanic"??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 5:35pm

Sorry, but I did not see or find another post of yours in this thread?? So, what does happen when the starter pinion get to the the broken teeth?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 5:37pm

Brian
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 6:10pm

Yes, I do realize you can turn over the engine with a socket on the crank but that doesn't answer the initial question being:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

So, what does happen when the starter pinion gets to the the broken teeth?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 6:13pm
Agreed, boats in the water, he may not want to paddle from dock
Brian
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

So, what does happen when the starter pinion get to the the broken teeth?

The starter drive turns the teeth on the flywheel, which in turn spins the engine over.

No teeth, no engage, no spin, no start. (or get the breaker bar on the crank end bolt and spin it like Hotboat says    )

Not trying to be a smat azz, we all have to start somewhere, but do you have any mechanical experience?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 6:20pm

.... or get a REALLY big bilge pump...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 6:31pm
Hey Braedon, the good news is the fixes required to get you running well are not hard and all the info you need will be available here. I think you've got to get used to following the suggested steps that very experienced people here are suggesting. If people say don't do the fix on the water, lift the engine with jacks from below, replace the ring gear, check the engine timing, you've got to follow through and do those things or you'll just keep chasing one problem and creating another.

I'm not being critical, but trust what you read here, and follow the instructions, and you'll get that boat back to running great. Get a helper to make some of the tasks easier, some of this stuff is hard to do alone.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

.... or get a REALLY big bilge pump...

In my prior jet boat, I tried to remove the hand-hole cover, clear the debris, and close it in the water. The cover top was maybe 3" below waterline. I figured, "how hard can this be", even though I had read in several forums to never try it. Guess what? I came very close to sinking the boat, fought like hell to get it back on, skinned up my hands and cut an elbow with the effort. I was a complete idiot for trying, was a good lesson on the power of water!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2012 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

smat azz do you have any mechanical experience?

Don't forget I have a crank start mag engine out in the shop!! "smart azz" !!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2012 at 3:18am
Breadon,

I did a quick search of your old posts, have you had the boat for a couple of years? Any problems in the past? Or, just a run of crappy luck the last few weeks?

One thing about these early boats, most of the engine issues are in the "Mechanics 101" category.

Again, no offense intended on the prior mechanical experience. Just trying to get a feel for where your at.

now, Petes crank start mag engine... not sure what category we put that into?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
71CCMartinique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71CCMartinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2012 at 2:47pm
The photos show why your starter sounded bad. The teeth on the starter must have been aligned. with the missing teeth on the flywheel. You will need a new flywheel. The marks you refer to are timing marks. BTC is before top dead center. ADC is after top center.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2012 at 6:38pm
Thank you everyone for all of the help. I got the flywheel changed, cleaned up the battery and put new connections on the battery cables which connect to the battery terminals, still using the previous starter. Once I did this, the boat fired right up first turn of the key with no hesitation, i took it out three days in a row and had no problems at all. as for my WOT power problem which i am still having, two of the days I went out recently the lake was glassy so i was able to keep it WOT for as long as i wanted. After having it WOT for about 5-8 minutes it kept feeling like it wanted to continue speeding up past where it stops going faster and than finally it was almost like something unclogged and it was able to continue speeding up like it used to. I than backed off the throttle and went WOT again and it was still hesitating where it was before until again i left it for about 5-8 minutes WOT and than it went again. So as of now the only time it will continue speeding up like it should is when I hold it WOT for 5-8 minutes but than as soon as i back off of it, i have to hold it WOT again for the same amount of time before it speeds up like it should again. I have checked the anti syphon valve at the fuel tank and found nothing. Does anyone have any other ideas of what this could be? I also might ad that the whole time during the 5-8 minutes at WOT the boat sounds and feels like it wants to keep speeding up but wont for quite a few minutes.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2012 at 7:03pm
Glad to hear you got the flywheel changed!!!

Can you GPS the boat? You need to have a base line to work from.... ie ... Knowing the actual GPS speed and engine RPM at any given speed.

What are you spinning for a wheel? Have you checked engine timing and vacuum?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2012 at 7:11pm
I would put a fuel pressure gauge on the output of the fuel pump to see if you are starving for fuel. It will take some fittings to do this.

You need to narrow this down to fuel vs ignition.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 2:35am
I don't know what you have for ignition and distributor on it, but what you describe almost sounds like ignition timing advance weights that are sticky and don't want to advance, then after 5-8 minutes the vibration frees them up to advance. Anyone agree? If you have a timing light that can show initial timing and total timing you can see what is going on.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 2:44am
i was thinking it had to do with the timing too, is the ATC BTC thing as i pictured supposed to turn with the crank shaft pulley? also where do i check the weights or look at them and what should the timing/advanced timing be on this boat, 1988 sn 2001 ford pcm 351
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 3:23am
can i spray something like wd40 on my weights and springs to see if it loosens them up and helps at all??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 8:20am
Braedon,
Yes, the markings on the balancer turn with the engine. The timing light will flash showing the timing of the engine in reference to the pointer. Google engine timing and you should be able to find a video that will show how it's done. You need a timing light.

The advance mechanism is under the point set base plate in the distributor. When you R&R it, you will need a feeler gauge to rough set the point gap and then a dwell meter to do the final adjustment of the gap/dwell. I would go heavier than WD40. I happen to like LPS #2 since it's got a waxy lubricate in it that won't evaporate. The WD40 can go in the trash!!

Per the manual, the timing is 10 degrees BTC but some like to give it a few degrees more. The point gap is set to .018" and then the final adjustment done with the dwell meter is 24 to 29 degrees.

Being honest here, do you have a friend who is more engine inclined that could help?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 10:28am
Chris, I'm guessing ignition because I can't think of any fuel related issues that get better after 5 minutes, with fuel it's usually the opposite. That leave ignition, and again what can change with ignition after 5 minutes? Bad coils or other components tend to get worse with run time. One other thing I'm just thinking of now is plug wires, but I thought I read that Braedon replaced them, not sure.

One good thing about timing is you can fully see what's happening with it with a timing light hooked up and running the boat. It takes 2 people, and a timing light that will read total timing. If you have a mechanic friend I'm sure they will have one, and if timing advances ok then you won't have to chase the advance problems. Even if you pull the distributor apart first you'll need to time it after, so you might as well check it out first and save some time.

Pete, do you know what total timing should be? At what rpm it should be all in?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 11:22am
Agree, not fuel related, bad guess on my part. Total timing should be 28 degrees at 4000 RPM. At 1200 RPM, it should just be starting to climb above 10 degrees. If you remove the breaker plate (pretty easy) then you can inspect the weights directly, using feel for a snasg in the pivots.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic