NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WOT only 1100rpm, no power

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
nautiquelover1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WOT only 1100rpm, no power
    Posted: August-27-2012 at 4:27am
Wow, well that didnt take long for me to be back on here with another problem that has me absokutly stumped...after finally getting the boat dialed in with new coil, resistor, cap, and rotor things seemed great, was starting like a charm, idleing wonderful and staying running through idleing as long as i would leave it idleing for. My speedos dont work but it seeemed to speed right up like it did when i bought it and was around 3700rpm at WOT. I know some will say this is slow for my sn2001 with 351 but its got a replacement prop w th a slightly bigger pitch and until today had the wrong plugs in it. I live in lake tahoe so dock space is extremely expensive so i found someone trustworthy that was willing to let me dock at their house in exchange for them being able to take out the boat when i was not useing it. While going through all my last problems they had a "marine mechanic" friend come look at it while i wasnt there. After all my troubles and finally getting it going good he showed up the day after i got it back to normal while i was at work and started fiddleing with it. Of course this *************** was a mastercrap owner and tried changeing ly firing order to what his mastercrap was even tho i had just got mine to what it should be and what was printed on the engine tag. He also messed with the carb and hooked up some "pump" on the throttle side of the carb towards the front of the boat, a black plastic piece that was previously below the metal "pump" lever. He also apparently played around with the timing. But long story short he got frustratdd with the firing order and just up and left. When i arrived at the boat the firing order had been changed and i instantly pulled up the picture that bri had sent me and put it back to how it should be and it fired right up. I than went to take it out and see if anything seemed different. The engine was shakeing quite a bit again which i had previously fixed and in idle seemed to throw out quite a bigger wake while i was idleing out of the channel into the lake, the volt meter was also bouncing around instead of staying steady as i had also had corrected before he came and messed it all up. I thN got out into the lake and went to open it up and nothing happened, i brought the trottle back and went to do it again and same thing, nothing, only the throttle went to far forward and got stuck in the 6oclock position almost completely upside down. I shut the boat down and pulled the cover up only to notice that he had left my throttle cable disconnected. I reconnected it and still the throttle lever was stuck. So i disconncected it again. The throttle wld continue going backwards counter clockwise until it was almost back in the straight up normal position. I finally was able to force it back clockwise into a few different spots at a time till it was back into its nornal upright position so i cld pull the safety plug out and start the boat. I reconnected the throttle to the carb shut the cover and went to take off and the boat would hardly go, i put it full throttle and it would not go faster than 1100rpm. I took it home and cLled the guy who fiddled with it and all he had to say was that i should get the right plugs ajd it woll run better. This morning i got 8 autolite 24's and went to the boat and put them in, got out to the lake and same thing, will not go faster than 1100rpm.....im stumped and have noooo idea what hppened or why the boat is doing this. as you have herd before, someone pleaseeeeeee help!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 9:47am
Since you had the issue with the throttle/cable, check to see if the helm control is actually opening the carb linkage all the way.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 10:24am
I'd say you have grounds for a lawsuit against that mechanic. When you changed the plug wires order, you checked them at both cap & plug ends, right? Please post pictures, maybe we can help. esp the 'black pc'!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 2:32pm
Assuming you have a Holley carb it sounds like that black plastic piece is the cam for operating the accelerator pump. Accelerator pump cams come in various sizes and are color coded and number coded by Holley. The cams have different shaped ramps that the arm from the accelerator pump rides on. By changing the size and shape of the arc on the cam, the pump shot can be tailored to start early or later as you go from off idle to full throttle. They come in 9 different colors, the black one is the middle of the road cam up to about 20% throttle opening and then it becomes one of the smaller cams, yellow is the quickest with the most volume per degree of throttle roataion, and the pink one is the slowest with the least volume pumped. Having the wrong one may produce a bog or hesitation on acceleration but whouldn't affect your WOT engine speed. Check to make sure your throttle cable is opening the throttle blades completely, rotating the Morse controller too far may have screwed up the internal levers inside it, and it no longer moves the cable enough to open the throttle.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 3:57pm
I was assuming its not the morse cable because when i got the throttle arm stuck down the cable was not connected to the carb, but maybe im wrong and messed up the cable at the throttle arm end. I also tried to accelerate it manually by hand with the cable unhooked by pressing down the accelerator on the carb and still it would only go 1100rpm. How do i check the cable? At this point im about to give up and get rid of the boat and thats the last thing i want to do.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 5:50pm
With the engine off, air intake silencer off and the throttle cable unhooked, rotate the throttle linkage rearward (clockwise looking at it from the port side) as far as it will go. don't force it just use enough pressure to move it against the return springs, it should move at least about 2". Note how far it moves, Look down the throat of the carb, and see if the butterfly valves in the primary bores are vertical, if they are not then something is blocking the linkage on the carb. Now with the throttle cable still disconnected, move the lever forward to the position full throttle used to be and check that the inner operating wire moved approximately the same distance that you moved the carb linkage to get the butterfly valve to their near vertical position. If everything checks out, return the throttle to the neutral position, reconnect the throttle linkage to the carb, and the bracket to the outer cable (the one that holds the cable into position so it can't move forward or back)if you took it off, check that it is tight if you didn't take it off (maybe the mech loosened it while he was ***************g with your engine and the whole cable is moving). Put the silencer back on and give it another try.

Shoot a picture of the throttle side of the carb showing the accelerator pump, and throttle arm area so we can see what's going on.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 6:16pm
Braedon don't give up on the boat, this problem will likely be easy to solve and any number of guys here can help you with it. I know I'm the 3rd person to say it, but if you can get some pictures it would be a big help.

What Mark said above will prove out the throttle operation. When it maxed out at 1100 rpm was it running smoothly? Did it sputter at all as you advanced the throttle?

It sounded to me like the bad mechanic changed a number of things, so we've got to step through them one by one. If you've got the firing order correct, and new plugs, and spark to all plugs, then you'll have to see if he moved timing way out or not, since you start and run you can get base timing set correctly again.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2012 at 1:29am
Is the engine running smoothly up to the 1100? Like David says, make sure the wires are in the correct firing order and not crossed.

When you ran the carb linkage by hand, how far was the travel?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2012 at 12:33am
Ok, so today i had a trusted mechanic come down and take a look at everything. He fixed timing and tuned carb and said my engine runs amazing and is as strong as can be. When inspecting the transmisson, he found pink foamy sludge on the dipstick and narrowed it down to water that got into the tranny from the time that the ppl messed up my prop amd strut and the boat took on water. He says he is almost positive that there is water in the torque converter that isnt allowing the boat to go over 1100-1300 rpm. Does this make sense to anyone. We pumped all the fluid out of the tranny and it defintly had water in it, but no metal pieces. he says what we need to do is to disconnect the transmission from the bell housing and drain the both of them...any imput??? The engine is minty and runs like a top, this is the only thing he can think that is not letting it reach high speed.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2012 at 12:54am
Ok im an idiot, i just read a threat which confirmed that these boats do not have torque converters...could it still he water somewhere up in the bell housing?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2012 at 1:15am
No,the cause of your issues is not because of water in the trans. But if you don't take care of the cause you will have more serious troubles.Was water left in the boat perhaps covering the trans? If not it is most likely the trans cooler leaking.You have to flush out the trans about 3 times to clear the water out,if the oil is still pink like a milk shake after that suspect the cooler. As to your mechanic,I'm sure he means well but he does not know inboards.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2012 at 1:39am
So than what is the cause of my issue???
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2012 at 4:04am
Today i learned through the mechanic that my ignition is not a points ignition as i thought it was when replaceing the coil, dizzy and rotor. the new coil i got, an msd blaster 8222 said that it required an external resistor for use on points style ignitions which i thought i had, so when i installed the coil i also installed the recomended resistor. I now learned today that it isnt a points style ignition and i have it resisted, cld i not be getting enough spark under load because of this and this be the problem??.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2012 at 1:51pm
If thats true, you did replace the distributor by the above statement and should know if it has points or not, then just connect a bypass wire from one terminal to the other on the resistor to cut it out of the system temporarily. If it works better and the manufacturer says its OK, take the resistor out permanently.
71CCMartinique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71CCMartinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2012 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by nautiquelover1988 nautiquelover1988 wrote:

Ok, so today i had a trusted mechanic come down and take a look at everything. He fixed timing and tuned carb and said my engine runs amazing and is as strong as can be.

You say that the engine won't rev. Is this only when engaged from the helm, while in gear or when manually operating the linkage? It could idle good and still run like crap at mid throttle. If you think it is carb related, download a sheet from Holley or whoever the carb manufacuter is.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2012 at 7:49pm
It wont reach its full potential speed whether using the trottle or manually operating the linkage. It revs all the way up and sounds like a champ when in nuetral but when under load the boat does not reach its potential full speed, it still sounds great when under load and full throttle but it jist wont go as fast as it should. If i just connect the purple and red wire from the resistor together and leave them off the resistor completly will i short something out? I want to try running it without the resistor but this is the best way i can think to do so.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2012 at 9:03pm
No, it won't short out as long as they are insulated from ground.

Check you coil after 5 minutes to see if it is overheating.

You were questioning if the transmission could be binding - does the RPM drop more than 50 RPM when you put it in gear? Can you spin the prop by hand?   

You also mentioned putting on a slightly higher pitched prop. What prop did you put on? It wants a 13 inch pitch, no more.

Ben Franklin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2012 at 9:12pm
The new prop is a 13x14 but even after putting that on it went as fast as it should until recently. The rpm does drop when its put into gear as well. Im almost positive it is a electrical issue because the voltage meter does not stay constant in a spot on the meter like it used to, it bounces very rapidly like its shakeing but doesnt shake far. Before the problem it would stay still in one spot. Im wondering weather a poor battery/connection would maoe it perform poorly under load as well. I opened the battery case today to find some water under the battery, about an inch or less and both battery connections completly rusted and corroded. Even though the boat starts like a champ and does fine when not under load would this have any effect on it when it is under load?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2012 at 9:14pm
And yes, i can spin the prop hy hand. and no the coil is not overheating anymore.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2012 at 9:24pm
Well, I would eliminate as many possible causes as possible. It is always a good thing to keep electrical connections healthy.

Ben Franklin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2012 at 1:16am
Ok so i took the boat out on the lake again today, still cant get it to go very fast. Engine sounds great, but it just wont go as fast as it should. I took the flame arrestor off of the carb and had my fiance drive with the boat at WOT while i was looking down the carb and the secondaries are not opening. Could this be my problem, and if so, what are the likely causes for them not opening. Can i try to stick a screw driver down and manually open the secondaries while someone is driving the boat with the trottle wide open and see of it makes a difference? Any help is appreciated.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2012 at 2:12am
Braedon go out with the future Mrs and run it again wot. On the drivers side of the carb there is a sort of round cover,the same color as the carb, with 4 screws on the top with a rod out of the bottom.Do not confuse it with the choke that has a black plastic cover with 2 wires going to it. Pull that rod up when your going wide open and see if you then go faster. When you do this you are manually opening the secondaries that are normally opened by vaccum on a diaphram under that round cover. Then report back. If this works you need a rebuild of the carb or if you don't feel you can do that,a new carb.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2012 at 2:36am
Gary, thank you soo much, i will head over to the boat in thr morning to try that out. do i need to remove those 4 screws to get to the rod or will i be able to manually move it as is? Thanks so much i reallly appreciate the help and pictures!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2012 at 2:59am
You will not have to remove anything.Once you look at it,you'll be able to see the rod and where it connects real easy. You will not be able to move it sitting there you'll have to be going,it's just the way the linkage is hooked up.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2012 at 4:50am
I went to the boat today and took her out to try manually operating the secondaries. When i would gently open them manually it gave the boat more power, however when i continued to open them all the way the boat would begin to bogg down and almost sound as if it were going to die out until i let up on them again. Any idea about this? Also, since the begining of these troubles when the people who used the boat broke the prop and strut and the boat took on a little bit of water the starter has sounded as if it were going bad... Well today after i manually opened the secondaries up i turned the boat off out in the lake to take a look inside the are that sits about the rod used to operate the secondaries to inspect what it looked like inside. After putting it back on and going to start it back up the im pretty sure the starter finally went bad on me. It would just make a loud whine'ing noise when trying to start it and none of the belts would even move. Does this sound like the starter to you? If so, i read a few posts where people replaced their starters with one found on amizon.com when searching ford 351 marine starter that is only 60$...does this sound rite to you?
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2012 at 10:52pm
remember that this is a reverse rotating engine, so you need to have a RR starter.   check in with the My Nautique parts, or Skidim, for the correct part. you may be able to have yoru current one rebuilt, just make sure you tell the shop that it is a RR starter.   TRBenj has a place that sells them cheap, but I don't recall the name of it.   do a search for starters on CCF on google, I bet you will come up with several threads.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2012 at 10:54pm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 4:22am
ok soooo which of these would work best for me....remember, the boat has made my pockets quite thin the past few weeks so cheapest soultion would be best. also, what is the rotation of a 1988 sn2001 with ford 351, cw or ccw?

http://www.marinepartssource.com/newdetails.asp?mfgno=70200&pnumber=AR70200&mfg=ARCO%20AUTO%20&%20MARINE&desc=Inboard%20Starter%20Ford%20302%20351

http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Starter-Ford-Engines-5-0l/dp/B004OXXLCI

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170888480218?hlp=false

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=eBasicPower&Product_Code=MES5075M&NOSHOW=YES&rnum=MES337M
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2012 at 11:42pm
ok, so the struggle continues. I took the starter off so I could take a look at it, and have found a stater/alternator specialist in town that im going to try taking it to tomorow before buying a new one. when I took it off I found there were about 3 teeth missing off of the large gear inside the bell housing where it sits (pics attached) could this have something to do with it not starting and just making i whining noise? if so or if not, how big of a deal is this? I also noticed on the front of the engine some numbers with the letters BTC and ATC at each end and some markings on them but none of the two markings are lined up with the pin that looks like they should be lined up to, what is this and does it look wrong in the picture below, could this be a possible reason but my engine not reaching full potential under load. lastly, the last time i took the boat out before the starter went, i took about the secondary to check and see what it looked like (pic also attached) is this what the inside of this piece should look like?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquelover1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2012 at 11:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic