NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat dies while accelerating

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2012 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Check me Pete(and expand if you like):

As resistance increases, the current is reduced. In this case, resistance = corrosion.

I=V/R

Greg,
You're close but I'll change the wording. As resistance increases from ether too small wiring to handle the current or corrosion, the voltage drops. Then with the voltage drop, the current (amps/watts) increases compounding the problem.

In Tom's case, the voltage readings will tell the story. He should get a reading at the battery and then under the dash. This will indicate the drop. Circuit breakers do go bad especially the cheap ones that the factory installed. Even cycling them a few times will weaken the bimetallic spring/contact inside. He needs to check the load on that ignition breaker. A decent VOM will have a 20 amp setting. It needs to be put in series in the circuit to get the reading. Both the coil and the electric choke are powered up off that breaker.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2012 at 9:03am
Check me Pete(and expand if you like):

As resistance increases, the current is reduced. In this case, resistance = corrosion.

I=V/R
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2012 at 1:44am
Thanks.....Would you run bigger wire from the Battery and Engine to the dash? Nautique parts sell the circut breakers so I will order one Monday. After ski season I plan to re do the dash.

Hopefully the replacement of the breaker will fix the problem of boat dying and the rewire will be just an overall improvement of the system.
Thanks.......Tom
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2012 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by tbeard tbeard wrote:

Thanks Philip...So you pulled the in dash circit breaker for the ignition and cleaned it? I guess the ignition system is sending a electrical surge that trips the breaker. So with the breaker being 24 years old I guess it becomes easier to trip?
I have the same issue with my gages bouncing.....this winter I plan to re wire the dash.

The alternator will not create a "surge". Get the VOM out and start checking the volts and yes on getting some bigger wiring both + and - up to the dash.

Who told you about the "surge" issue? I caution you to listen to the person who told you about a voltage spike!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2012 at 8:45pm
Thanks Philip...So you pulled the in dash circit breaker for the ignition and cleaned it? I guess the ignition system is sending a electrical surge that trips the breaker. So with the breaker being 24 years old I guess it becomes easier to trip?
I have the same issue with my gages bouncing.....this winter I plan to re wire the dash.
Thanks.......Tom
pepatrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepatrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2012 at 8:29pm
Yes..I had this exact same problem. I replaced the ground wired as my gauges were bouncing all over the place. Replaced the ignition breaker (the culprit) and rewired under the dash. I have since pulled my old ignition breaker apart and cleaned it out. I used some dielectric grease on it and it appears to be ok now. It is back in the boat and the new one is in the spare parts drawer.

Philip
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2012 at 8:25pm
My 88 BFN has stalled 4 times this summer for no reason! While pulling a skier up the boat will loose all electrical power and engine will die completely...... with no warning. (It always does this while accelerating with a skier.....under a load) This may be a coincidence.

To restart the boat I push the in dash circuit breaker off and again for on. Then the boat will start like normal, and it will not act up again for a few weeks. I am curious if anyone has had a similar problem and knows what is causing the problem or are there some things that I should check. For trouble shooting I thought I would start with replace the circuit breaker in the dash and the one behind the engine.
Thanks.......Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic