NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody in the south NOT winterize?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 5:04pm
Sure we winterize. Thermos full of brandy and
hot apple cider, a blanket, and a couple of
wetsuits. Seems to work well

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 3:13pm
I'm in New Braunfels. I didn't winterize last year. There were some nights when I got nervous and would put a light in the doghouse. I've got the boat on the boat lift and don't plan to do anything to it this winter (as far as winterizing) unless it stays below freezing for over 24 hrs. Then I might have to take it for a spin to get it warmed up again. My wife won't let me bring it in the house.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 2:19pm
I live in Virginia and I skipped winterizing this year. Nothing to winterize since I pulled the motor. Anybody else use this method?

What do you mean "winterize" south of Houston? When you can measure winter in minutes it doesn't count.

I lived in Friendswood & League City, TX for a while.

Thomas
hollywoodswole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollywoodswole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 1:43pm
Thanks fellas. That's kind of what I was thinking, but this is my first winter with my boat.
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 9:20am
I live in Austin and I just drain the block. If it gets really cold, like its doing right now, I dump a little rv antifreeze in the exhaust manifolds.

Just be sure to run it at least once a month to keep the engine lubed, if you're not going to fog it.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 4:37am
If temp's have been in the 60's on average and you have the hood closed, that engine is the "heater" when the temps drop in the 20's and it would have to stay in the 20's for a few days in order for the engine to drop to 20 degree's. On rare occasions if the power goes off the old light bulb trick under the hood may not work, but I've never experienced both power loss and temp's below 20 for more than a few hours below I20.

Same principle in the summer. Shut that monster 289 down after an evening skiing and you still feel the heat 12 hours later the next morning. The engine and hood are a great combination.

I still suggest you pull the rubber impeller just to keep it fresh, drains the majority of water and is easy to re-install.

It's also very easy to drain the block so a little bit of PM even when you ski on occasion shouldn't deter you from climbing in when it's cold outside.

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 10:08pm
two words drysuit! wetsuits yuk. i dont winterize in houston
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 7:34pm
Lake Wales Fl; They don't even sell antifreeze here! All those years in Ohio, I never knew what I was missing. Enjoy it year round, life is short!...john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 3:25pm
I am south of Houston, Lake Jackson, and I don't winterize. I don't see the point in it when the "cold" weather is 40 for 2 days. I am considering a wet suit also.
Bob Ed
83 2001
hollywoodswole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollywoodswole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 2:23pm
Me and my roommate are thinking about just getting wetsuits and still getting to the lake 2 or 3 times a week. It rarely even gets below freezing here (I know last Christmas I was wearing shorts.)

What's the consensus on not winterizing and just running it through spring?

BTW, I am near Houston.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic