Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody in the south NOT winterize?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
hollywoodswole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollywoodswole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody in the south NOT winterize?
    Posted: December-06-2005 at 2:23pm
Me and my roommate are thinking about just getting wetsuits and still getting to the lake 2 or 3 times a week. It rarely even gets below freezing here (I know last Christmas I was wearing shorts.)

What's the consensus on not winterizing and just running it through spring?

BTW, I am near Houston.
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 3:25pm
I am south of Houston, Lake Jackson, and I don't winterize. I don't see the point in it when the "cold" weather is 40 for 2 days. I am considering a wet suit also.
Bob Ed
83 2001
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 7:34pm
Lake Wales Fl; They don't even sell antifreeze here! All those years in Ohio, I never knew what I was missing. Enjoy it year round, life is short!...john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 10:08pm
two words drysuit! wetsuits yuk. i dont winterize in houston
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 4:37am
If temp's have been in the 60's on average and you have the hood closed, that engine is the "heater" when the temps drop in the 20's and it would have to stay in the 20's for a few days in order for the engine to drop to 20 degree's. On rare occasions if the power goes off the old light bulb trick under the hood may not work, but I've never experienced both power loss and temp's below 20 for more than a few hours below I20.

Same principle in the summer. Shut that monster 289 down after an evening skiing and you still feel the heat 12 hours later the next morning. The engine and hood are a great combination.

I still suggest you pull the rubber impeller just to keep it fresh, drains the majority of water and is easy to re-install.

It's also very easy to drain the block so a little bit of PM even when you ski on occasion shouldn't deter you from climbing in when it's cold outside.

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 9:20am
I live in Austin and I just drain the block. If it gets really cold, like its doing right now, I dump a little rv antifreeze in the exhaust manifolds.

Just be sure to run it at least once a month to keep the engine lubed, if you're not going to fog it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollywoodswole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 1:43pm
Thanks fellas. That's kind of what I was thinking, but this is my first winter with my boat.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 2:19pm
I live in Virginia and I skipped winterizing this year. Nothing to winterize since I pulled the motor. Anybody else use this method?

What do you mean "winterize" south of Houston? When you can measure winter in minutes it doesn't count.

I lived in Friendswood & League City, TX for a while.

Thomas
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 3:13pm
I'm in New Braunfels. I didn't winterize last year. There were some nights when I got nervous and would put a light in the doghouse. I've got the boat on the boat lift and don't plan to do anything to it this winter (as far as winterizing) unless it stays below freezing for over 24 hrs. Then I might have to take it for a spin to get it warmed up again. My wife won't let me bring it in the house.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 5:04pm
Sure we winterize. Thermos full of brandy and
hot apple cider, a blanket, and a couple of
wetsuits. Seems to work well

BKH
Livin' the Dream

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 8:41pm
You guys are killin me, we woke up to 9 below this morning.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2005 at 8:49pm
Leave it to BKH to come up with a better mix than the old 50/50 of water and antifreeze. Alto I do prefer Beam and Diet Coke with lime. I try to keep it around 50/50 tho....john
"Loud pipes save lives"

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2005 at 8:47am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

You guys are killin me, we woke up to 9 below this morning.

Yeah, that's the downside. On the other hand, I think you guys in the cold weather states, really cherish summer and the warm weather. We tend to take it for granite. Hell, I've travelled to Hawaii, Mexico, Jamaica, and the Costa del Sol, and thought to myself, big deal, I could get this at home. If anything, I prefer winter vacations to Utah, the Rockies, or Canada. I guess the grass is always greener, but it's kind of fun to do a little ribbin' anyways.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

billgatesceo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2005 at 5:04pm
I'm debating this too. I live about 100miles north of houston. This morning I woke up to 25F cold weather with ice everywhere. I heard that it needs to me below freezing for a couple of days straight for it to crack a block.

Am I crazy in thinking that I should be okay or should I just pull all the plugs?

BTW, I have a '83 2001.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollywoodswole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2005 at 5:14pm
[QUOTE=billgatesceo] I'm debating this too. I live about 100miles north of houston. This morning I woke up to 25F cold weather with ice everywhere. QUOTE]

No kidding. I thought that was kind of ironic that the day after I asked this, there was the first ice storm here in about 7 years. I had no idea it was coming, and didn't have the cover on yet since we just had it on the lake. Ouch.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2005 at 6:27pm
Hollywood....so where are you located?

did you end up pulling any plugs?

I am atleast gonna put the boat in the garage tonight. I just went out there any my trailer lock was pretty much frozen shut. It usually doesn't get this cold until about february.

Maybe tomorrow I will pull the plugs since it will be inside where I can see.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2005 at 6:49pm
It bearly got above freezing today. It's supposed to be 19 tonight. I'm going to put a light in the motor box tonight. Saturday's high is forecast to be back up in the 60s. Perfect weather for a cruise around the lake.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2005 at 8:52pm
Well...I got it to fit in the 'ol garage.

Drop light trick, small heater, blanket.....We don't need that junk....

I've got a freakin' 220V, heater coil, digitaly controlled furnace to keep my baby warm. Actually its just to get the temp up in the garage for awhile at night. This baby heated my geeraage up from 35F to 70F in about 30mins.

Cheers!!!

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2005 at 6:35am
Just a suggestion and I don't know if it would be enough but how about an engine block heater. The ones I've seen up north here are like a heated dipstick to keep the oil warm. Would that help, anybody use one?
DIpstick heater
oil pan heater
I have no idea if these would work but might be worth looking into
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
new86owner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2005 at 10:14am
Also you can get magnetic heater blocks to slap on the side of the block. I just drain mine after every use in the winter. Be sure to drain the block and the manifolds.

I had an I/O 2 winters ago, and I always drained the block, never drained the exhaust manifolds. Well, a night of 20 degree weather cracked both manifolds. Sometimes we learn the hard way.

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2005 at 11:22am
If it were me livin in the south instead of running the snow blower to remove 5"s that fell yesterday....I would only drain the block,water pump,strainer and manifolds...fire it up a few times to keep it lubed.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2005 at 4:01pm
Even in south Alabama we always drained the block and manifold. Somewhere I saw a statistic that reflected a large percentage of boats down south cracked blocks in the winter. The reasoning was nobody thought it would get cold enough to crack it until it did. We had a trip to Lousianna one April and we decided against taking heaters and deice materiels. That trip we got iced in on the airfeild for three days. Lesson Learned. I recommend draining the block/manifold, water stainer, and trans cooler unless you are running the boat every few days. Only a few minutes of work for some piece of mind.
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2005 at 2:50pm
just draining the block is so easy, if you are at all concerned just do it.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2005 at 3:05pm
I installed brass petcocks on all of my drain holes, so I can drain my block and manifolds without tools.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2005 at 6:28pm
Drop lights work great, even down in the teens, but have a backup in case the bulb goes out on one of them.
Dallas
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2005 at 8:52am
Originally posted by jameski jameski wrote:

I installed brass petcocks on all of my drain holes, so I can drain my block and manifolds without tools.

That really seems the way to go.

Where did you get the petcocks?

Do they let enough of the water out? Seems like they could leave 1/8 to 1/4 inch of water in the jacket/manifold depending on the diameter of the opening in the block and the size of the opening in the petcock.

Any trouble with them getting blocked with scale, etc?

Do you get sub-freezing temps for extended periods where you live?

Thanks.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2005 at 9:39am
Carl, I think you can find them at the auto parts store. Just take your plugs with you and match the threads. I had some laying around (I'm a packrat and sometimes it pays off).

They definitely let enough water out that I won't have to worry about freezing (and it does get cold here). They let out just as much as pulling the plugs (well, maybe you are right about the 1/8 inch, but I can't imagine that breaking a block). I installed them last year. ...So far, no problems with scale.

I certainly don't mean to imply that that is all I do to winterize. There are many other steps involved. The petcocks just make one step a lot easier.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2005 at 9:44am
jamesski;Great idea! Can you post a pic?....john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2005 at 11:28am
Thanks Jameski.

Skidim has sets for different applications. They're about $55 bucks for my application. Probably check the autoparts store first. I've looked at hardware stores and haven't found exactly the right stuff yet.

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1044
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2005 at 12:09pm
$55! OUCH! ...Those are some really nice valves. ...The ones I used are the same poor little petcocks you'd find on any 1950-1990 American-made radiator. Here's the only pic I could find:

current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic