Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Parting out another 80 model Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by TX Wind TX Wind wrote:

Originally posted by RedandWhite73 RedandWhite73 wrote:

Do you know if the shaft and strut would work on a '73 Southwind?

Dan, I'm not sure. This should be the SA-154 strut. Check the numbers stamped on your strut.

The SW will most likely require a 6A (or 6A6) strut.

There you have it Dan. From one of the masters of CC restoration himself. I figured it was a 6A6 but the numbers are stamped on the side if you wanna check

Tim, are you still interested in the rudder?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 4:06pm

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

That 13x14 would not be ideal for any Ski Nautique with a common powertrain, save for possibly the 80's 2001's with the 454/1:1 combo. What boat are you looking to put it on?

I would agree for the most part Tim unless he has upgraded his power. We upgraded the power on my Mastercraft about 20H.P. and a 13x14 or a 13x15 would be nice. I'm taching out a little high. Unfortunately the MC is a LH rotation boat or I would be keeping this for myself.

In my experience, power upgrades seldom require prop size changes. Top end modifications tend to push the hp peak to the right, as well as up- so most boats run best with stock sized props (simply spun at higher RPM's). The 2 exceptions Ive seen to this rule are when you get into wilder modifications (>1hp/ci) and when you add displacement (stroker), both of which may require larger props to keep the revs in check.

PM replied on the rudder!
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 4:18pm
Makes sense Tim, I just felt that 5100 RPM was very high.    It also feels like I'm slipping a bit in the upper RPM range. In other words, I'm spinning more RPM but not gaining much speed. I wouldn't mind the top end at the expense of some hole shot. I'm barefooting long line at the boat's top speed pretty much or about 42MPH. I'd like to see 46 or 47 since comp jump speeds are 45 now.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 4:28pm
If the powertrain makes power up to 5100rpm, then let it spin!

That being said, if it feels like youre getting prop slip (increased revs with no increased speed) and are only capable of pulling a barefooter 42mph at those revs, then I would say youre right... which means your prop is probably junk. A properly sized prop in new condition (preferably a modern CNC) would get you back to where you need to be- most likely in the stock (or stock equivalent) size.

Its all about matching WOT RPM to your engine's powerband. Increasing prop size is NOT a foregone conclusion when adding hp- in fact, doing so will usually harm performance. There is usually no need to sacrifice anything (holeshot included) when adding hp.
RedandWhite73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedandWhite73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 5:18pm
Sure enough, there is a 6 stamped on the strut.

Very interesting discussion about prop size.
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 5:47pm
Yeah Tim, it's one of those nagging questions. I've actually considered a 14x13 or a 14x14. That may reduce top end slip without much problem on the lower end. Those MC hulls have plenty of room for it. In the mean time, it makes interesting discussion and as you know from experience the best way to tell what prop is best is by trial and error. The engine we upgraded with is supposed to make more peak h.p. at the same rpm as the old one. But like you said, if I can make power to 5100, I'm gonna.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 6:16pm
Interesting. Im pushing slightly north of 300 HP from a 5.7 with a 1:1 in a 1979 Nautique and the stock 13 / 13 feels right. (albeit left hand) Great pull and no slip. Im getting > 50mph at 4900 RPM and staying put.
One note on props; unless a shop has checked it within recent memory, actual geometry of the wheel may not be even close to what is stamped on the hub.
When propping a boat always start with a prop whose geometry has been blue printed or at least verified so as to give one a valid starting position.
I have a 13 /13 RH for cheap in average condition I will barter for.
De-rail over.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 7:49pm

Yeah Tim, it's one of those nagging questions. I've actually considered a 14x13 or a 14x14. That may reduce top end slip without much problem on the lower end. Those MC hulls have plenty of room for it. In the mean time, it makes interesting discussion and as you know from experience the best way to tell what prop is best is by trial and error. The engine we upgraded with is supposed to make more peak h.p. at the same rpm as the old one. But like you said, if I can make power to 5100, I'm gonna.

We should probably start this discussion from scratch instead of cluttering up this for sale thread... but if I read you correctly, you only added 20hp over stock? That kind of hp increase would not cause prop slip- but a junk prop would. Assuming we're talking a 1:1, try a known good prop (like an Acme 541 if a LH small block 1:1 with 1" shaft) and performance should improve a good bit. Lots of other variables to consider besides diameter and pitch- so changing from a junk 13x13 to a junk 13x14 still isnt going to get you to where you want to go.

Im skeptical that you found a way to make more power through breathing improvements that didnt also move the powerband to the right, btw.
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 8:06pm
Yeah John, that's why I haven't jumped on anything yet but you're getting some good hull efficiency with those numbers. A buddy of mine has a 13x13 he just had re-worked and cupped by James prop here in Dallas. I need to give it a shot. We have some other engine issues to work out first though. I want it in a final configuration before I go on a prop hunt.

But....what you're saying is in line with what Tim is saying. You have more H.P. but at higher RPM. 4900 should be well past my peak H.P. So...if I'm turning more revs and not getting speed, I'm slipping. As long as I can get the ponies to turn 14" diam. as opposed to 13", that's a cheap trade off. LOL...I'll write a thread on it when I get to it...even if it is a Mastercraft.
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 11:06pm
Jeff,
I like the looks of the Airguide and would also consider buying the Tach, hour meter and Voltmeter (if it is there!!). Let me know if they all work or what you think the condition is.   Email me with a price for all, to Todd Benjamin, @ pyramidguy1@hotmail.com. I'm in Scotia, New york 12302

Thanks, Todd
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2012 at 6:56pm
Rub rail pics

These are all shots of the damage I could find in the rub rail. Pretty clean really for a boat of this age.

TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2012 at 7:09pm
Here are the tranny mounts for John. Is this the type you're looking for?

wsavini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsavini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2012 at 7:27pm
I can only find a 802 stamped on my prop so ill give up on that for now. I would like to offer you 75.00 for the rub rail. Thanks, Wayne
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2012 at 11:14pm
Wayne,

It is most likely a 13x13. The one I have is a 13x14. It could be reworked and re-pitched if you wanted to send it in. They will usually cup them for you as well which seems to help.

75 is fine on the rub-rail. Shipping should run 15.45. You can send money by Paypal. My email is txwind@live.com.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2012 at 10:13am

Here are the tranny mounts for John. Is this the type you're looking for?

SOLD! thank you. Are the payment details earlier in the thread?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2012 at 10:17am
Wayne, I have an OJ 13 / 13 RH in decent shape, needs a general service but not beat up. Ill barter for it.
What do you have?
81 tique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81 tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2012 at 10:38am
Hello everyone, I am still in need of a good replacement prop for my '81 SN. My primary prop decided it preferred rest and relation on the bottom of the lake than the honorable possition on the boat......
Thanks, Cass
'81 Ski Nautique
New Hampshire Seacoast
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2012 at 11:40am
Cass,
I suggest going with one of the new CNC machined props. The Acme 540 would be my first choice but it also depends on how you use the boat. Fill us in.

It sure sounds like someone didn't put that prop on correctly!! Whatever you end up getting, take a look at proper prop installation

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 5:43am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Cass,
I suggest going with one of the new CNC machined props. The Acme 540 would be my first choice but it also depends on how you use the boat. Fill us in.

It sure sounds like someone didn't put that prop on correctly!! Whatever you end up getting, take a look at proper prop installation

Something wrong with that link Pete. LOL...my for sale listing is determined to turn into a prop discussion.
wsavini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsavini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 11:20am
No Thanks, im having mine reconditioned.
wsavini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsavini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 11:22am
money sent, Thank u
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 11:27am

Something wrong with that link Pete. LOL...my for sale listing is determined to turn into a prop discussion.

fixed link Sorry for the high jack!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 2:15pm
No problem Pete. I think Tim and I started it initially LOL.

Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 5:09pm
Jeff,

Check is in the mail for the Airguide and other gauges.

Thanks, Todd
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 11:10pm
Everyone who sent me money so far, they should go out tomorrow.

Tim,
I got to the post office with yours and felt uncomfortable with the packing. I repacked it today and will drop it off tomorrow.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2012 at 10:54am
The mounts arrived last week. Thanks.
77Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2012 at 3:17pm
Looking for platform Brackets for 77 American Skier, would take the platform too if in good condition, do you or Tim know if these Brackets will work on 77 Skier. Pics of Platform?

Thanks
Butch T
77Skier
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 1:15am
hello is it an 80 or 81.i need starboard upper side glass plus hardware.for an 81 ski nautique anniversary,thanks dan 330 524-6983
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 1:15am
hello is it an 80 or 81.i need starboard upper side glass plus hardware.for an 81 ski nautique anniversary,thanks dan 330 524-6983.any interior?
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 5:14pm
A little more research and I think I misread the date code on this Nautique. I forgot that they changed the coding in 1984. The last for digits of the HIN are M80E. I believe that makes this an 81 model and judging from the brochures in the reference, it appears to be a Classic by looking at the gauge cluster. There is no interior in this boat save for the motor cover box.

Here are some pics of the transom and swim deck. It's in pretty fair shape for its age. Definitely worth saving. Should clean up pretty well. As for whether or not they will work on the 77 Tique, my guess is that the brackets are essentially the same. However the beam on the Nautique is about 6" wider I believe.

Tim is the man that would know. Any word on that Tim? I hope you received your rudder by the way. Pulling the gauges for your uncle Todd is my theme of the day.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic