NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mexican foods

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mexican foods
    Posted: September-21-2012 at 7:22pm
I love Mexican foods! One of the side dishes at my local Mexican restaurant is nopalitos salid. With all the free time I've had lately, I decided to give it a try making it myself. It's now blending the flavors in the frig overnight. My wife gave me a seed packet of pepper plants in my Easter basket more as a joke than anything. Well, I'm not a gardener but decided to give them a try so, I now have home grown peppers in the nopalitos. Actually, considering the effort, the cost of fertilizer and the cold frame I had to build, I would have been better off just going out and buying the damn peppers!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2012 at 8:55pm
Sound good amigo. Don't forget the Cerveza with lime!
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2012 at 10:04pm
pedro brainardo?      we made nachos tonight with tomatoes from the garden our own cilantro and poblanos and jalepenos grown in our cedar lapstrake 8' boat/herb garden i made this spring   i love anything spicy and earthy flavored. Pete do you watch andrew zimmerman or anthony bourdain on the food channel? those guys go to the ends of the earth and find some crazy stuff
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2012 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Don't forget the Cerveza with lime!

Dave,
NEVER!!! I'm drinking one at the moment!! However, no lime! - that's for the "yuppies"   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2012 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

Pete do you watch andrew zimmerman or anthony bourdain on the food channel? those guys go to the ends of the earth and find some crazy stuff

Peter,
No, I have never watched them but will make a point too. Lately, I have been spending lot's of time on craigslist and monster without any time to look at TV!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 12:29am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Don't forget the Cerveza with lime!

Dave,
NEVER!!! I'm drinking one at the moment!! However, no lime! - that's for the "yuppies"   

Legend has it the lime-in-the-beer thing is an old mexican tradition but I read that it was actually invented in some California bar.

The mexican-owned breweries are all gone anyway, gobbled up by international conglomerates. Corona by InBev and Dos Equis, Sol, & Tecate by Heineken. Heineken will undoubtably get gobbled up next. The two superbrewers (InBev and MillerCoors) can then battle for world domination. The victor will then produce only one beer for total global consumption called "Soylent Green" and profits will go thru the roof.

It's a fiendish plot, but in a world where Moosehead is the only major Canadian-owned brewery left, and Fosters-"Australian For Beer, Mate" is brewed in Albany, Georgia, anything is now possible........

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 12:38am
I believe the lime was to disinfect the glass and to keep the flies off.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 12:48am
I watched a girl try to taste a ghost pepper last week, does that count?   She fell on the floor and was li cling the concrete trying to get it off her tongue, hate to see what's going to happen when it comes out the other end.

By the way the wife made a 150 green chilie beef enchiladas for the Flyin last weekend and I drank lots of beer, I think some of it might have been Mexican.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 1:10am
Apparently there are multiple rumors but no real proof but I did just find these little tidbits:

1) The lime drowns out the taste of the urine used in the brewing process.

Lime Disease:

A condition that affects mostly young, college-aged people, but also people who have no taste in general.

Easily recognized by the need to consume large amounts of cheap, beer-like beverages (especially Corona) that require adding a lime or lemon to it in order to make the liquid barely drinkable.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2012 at 8:44pm
I have to comment that my nopalitos salad turned out excellent!! I still have plenty of the home grown peppers left so I'll need to get over to the store and get another jar of nopalitos!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2012 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

hate to see what's going to happen when it comes out the other end.

Don,
You'll just need to plug that "other end" up with something!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2012 at 10:03pm

Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

hate to see what's going to happen when it comes out the other end.

Don,

And then what? wait for a "boom"?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 4:14pm
My wife and I spent 12 hours last weekend batching out homemade tamales for the winter. Ended up with about 120 of them. One of my favorite foods.
Regarding ghost peppers. I grew a fantastic plant of them a couple years ago. I was very excited about them, until I tasted them. I like HOT food. I can take a whole bunch of habanero salsa. Love it. Ghost peppers simply do not taste good. They taste like tear gas to me. Apparently the title of hottest pepper has been taken from the ghosts now, by some scorpion chile, but they are supposed to taste better.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 4:24pm
Mike,
The packet of "mystery" pepper seeds my wife gave me and I planted didn't turn out that bad. I really feel the big problem was starting them too late in the season so I had to pick them green and not wait until they turned red. (I had one red out of 100's!!) I'm going to try again next year and make sure I start them inside early.

Do you make the tamales the traditional way with the corn husk wrap?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 4:30pm

Don,

Tightener(cheese dip), sooner or later its coming out!
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 4:51pm

Do you make the tamales the traditional way with the corn husk wrap?

Yep. my wife stewed a 25lb turkey, short the breasts, for the entire afternoon with a variety of spices, etc. We made up the corn dough and soaked the husks. She assembled and I rolled them. Ties them off with hemp string. Then you steam them. We had forgotten that you need to steam them for nearly two hours. We (read; she) was up all damned night steaming and freezing them. It was an 18 hour project in the end.

Peppers, if starting from seed, can be started in the house under a fluorescent light in like late March.
After my ghost pepper disappointment, I grew a really nice habanero bush that yielded around 100 peppers. I still probably have 70 in my freezer. They freeze great and keep for a very long time. We do this with all our peppers. This was a crappy year for peppers in our garden. All very immature and late, like you are describing. We may have got 50 jalapenos total, and had a couple mystery pepper plants that didn't yield anything.

I love mexican and thai/asian the best. Next comes italian. I am cooking a huge batch of homemade spaghetti and meatballs today. Another 16-18 hour process. The official start to the fall for me.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2013 at 4:05pm
I just finished making another batch of nopalitos salad. This time since all my peppers are gone from last summer, I used some store bought Jalapenos. These were so big that they required to be veined and seeded. A word of caution to the guys: After handing the peppers, make sure you wash your hands real good before needing to go drain fluids from your body. I'm in pain!!!!

The plans for this summers pepper garden have expanded. The Poblano, Big Guy Jalapeno, Hot Cheyenne, Mustard Habanero, Scotch Bonnet, Lemon Drop, Purple Jalapeno and Pasilla Bajio seeds have sprouted and are now under the florescent light (100 plants total). Not wanting the deer to get to the plants again, I have an electric fence going in. I read that to train the deer, you take a piece of aluminum foil with peanut butter on it and wrap it on the wire. Then the deer lick it and they are trained!!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2013 at 5:14pm
Back in the day I had a lawn service and one of my customers had a HUGE garden in the back yard and they only grew Peppers ! Hundreds of plants all varieties .
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2013 at 5:40pm
You have a hundred pepper plants going? Wow. Nice!!!

That is funny about the capsacin on your hands. Last year, after chopping dozens of thai chiles the day before, one of my contacts went haywire. I didn't think about it at all. I burned my eye so effing bad it took a couple hours to stop hurting.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2013 at 7:42pm

A word of caution to the guys: After handing the peppers, make sure you wash your hands real good before needing to go drain fluids from your body. I'm in pain!!!!

Pete. You are the last one I ever thought we would have to tell to keep THAT original!

1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 9:01pm

The Poblano, Big Guy Jalapeno, Hot Cheyenne, Mustard Habanero, Scotch Bonnet, Lemon Drop, Purple Jalapeno and Pasilla Bajio seeds have sprouted and are now under the florescent light (100 plants total). Not wanting the deer to get to the plants again, I have an electric fence going in. I read that to train the deer, you take a piece of aluminum foil with peanut butter on it and wrap it on the wire. Then the deer lick it and they are trained!!!   

I lost some of the plants during the inside seedling stage and transplanting them out to the garden so I supplemented some plants from Burpee. Extra Lemon drops, Ancho's, and Big Guy Jalapenos. Plus, some tomatoes and cilantro. I'm ready for the salsa!!

The electric fence works great. So far the deer have learned the hard way but one morning I also had a shunk get zapped!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 9:11am
An Easter Basket?
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic