Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lake Norman - I heard some guys are dropping by
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lake Norman - I heard some guys are dropping by

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Norman - I heard some guys are dropping by
    Posted: September-27-2012 at 8:54pm
Call me Charlie Brown if you like but I really dropped the ball on this one. We've known for at least a month that Joe Tim and Tim and a few others were dropping in next weekend, Oct 6-7th, but being completely tied up with work and a bunch of other stuff I completely forgot to post it here until Donald reminded me just the other day. But anyway, as we've done several other times over past years at around this time, we've got a handful of CCF folks coming into town, and I just wanted to make sure that EVERYONE knew that EVERYONE was certainly invited. We'll have a number of boats out on the water and the water is still certainly warm enough for activities.

So again I apologize for the very late notice but hope that some you guys can make it out regardless. We've got the bedrooms accounted for but there's still plenty of tent space in the yard like we did in the past as well as some other local accommodations, so come on out if you can!
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 9:17pm
Tim, Tim and Tim.
Tim D
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Tim, Tim and Tim.

Isn't that Larry, Darrell and Darrell?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 9:46pm
No it's more like Bruce,Bruce,and Bruce,right then we'll just call you Bruce.Your not a poofter are you? No poofters.   video link
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 10:39pm
Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to make it, but is anyone heading down from the northeast with an empty pick up bed?
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 12:25am
I will be there.

Donald
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 1:07am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to make it, but is anyone heading down from the northeast with an empty pick up bed?

I'm a little far from you Bruce, but I'll be heading down (from Maryland) with an empty pickup.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

I will be there.

Donald

Val and I look forward to meetin' you Donald!   
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 1:22am
Ha....You too, John! I see Pics of your old Red Ski Nautique from Scott all the time!.... She's doing well!
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 7:22am
Reid,
Thank you for hosting this. I'll be there too! I'd be happy to help in anyway possible.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 10:29am
Originally posted by JMurph JMurph wrote:

I'm a little far from you Bruce, but I'll be heading down (from Maryland) with an empty pickup.

John, I was thinking of you yesterday while I was putting a part on a truck tht was heading to Annapolis. If I had more lead time, I could have had the engine on the back of it, too. Not enough time to do it or check with you to see if it was doable.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 12:13pm
Sorry Bruce, no pickup truck bed … keep meaning to get me a pickup truck but my house is where old suvs go to die and never quite do, I might however have an empty hitch on the way back if someone is trying to move a boat or trailer in a northerly direction, perhaps one of Race City, or PCI Marine’s low hour beauties...

Looking forward to getting in a weekend on the water… planning to bring down the 83 (assuming I can Frankenstein together most of a trailer for it between now and then), and my usual pile of watersports equipment … if anyone needs a pull we should be able to accommodate most requests.

I plan on bringing down some sausage, hofmanns, salt potatoes etc. for the crew. .. not for me of course as I subsist completely on Bo jangles Cajun filet biscuits whilst in Mooresville.

Also I plan to be at the Charlotte airport on Saturday morning around 10 am if anyone needs a pickup, or for us to leave you a car.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 12:27pm
Joe, maybe you ought to bring the engineless boat back and Dave and I will finish it up as I don't know what we'll being doing for the next 3 years after we finish the Cuda.
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 12:59pm
hmm how to convince the wifey this is a good use of our only free weekend in October...lol
'94SN Restoration underway...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

I will be there.

Donald

Val and I look forward to meetin' you Donald!   

Steve,

I am also looking forward to meeting you and Val. Also, any other new faces. I live across the lake from Reid in Denver and it looks like a few of the crew in attendance will be staying at Sha La Donald's. Just a short boat ride across the lake will do it.

Donald

PS October may be too chilly for my speedo.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 2:13pm
There will be a pickup bed and an empty hitch coming from and returning to Ohio as well. Don't know if that helps any of you guys trying to move stuff around.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance my old man is up for a little skiing too.

Randy, Justin, Ohio Tim (since there's already 3 others in the mix), anybody need a ride or ready made excuse to feed the wife?

and Joe, I don't know what this lake looks like, but I certainly wouldn't hate another look at that parasail...this time with the big girl rope...just sayin...
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 2:57pm
Where is home base for the weekend?

Its a long shot at this point but......
Tubing Sucks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

Reid's house?

Might not be too long of a shot, I'm already driving down so you'd have a ride...
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 3:37pm

Adam,

The lake is very large. It has over 550 mile of shore line. It is man made via a Dam in the Catawba River which is called McGuire Nuclear Station ( Duke Power). I have seen several parasails on Norman in the past. I do not fly very well. I am not areodynamic enough.

Pete,

Reid's home is in Mooresville, NC off of Brawley School Road. Lots of Motel / Hotels in Mooresville which are 15 minutes from Reid's home. Mooresville is 30 minutes North of Charlotte on I-77. You can also visit Nascar shops in the Mooresville, Concord and Charlotte area.

I hope this helps,

Donald
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

Reid's house?

Might not be too long of a shot, I'm already driving down so you'd have a ride...

And that would make 4 Tims ... pull out the shot ski.

I am not planning on carting the parasail and big girl rope out.. but if you got your video of your flight at Tim's posted maybe I would be inspired. I do not know if that sort of shananigans is legal down there in north carolina... anyone got a 20 on formerly new england larry?

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 4:31pm
For those with boats...what sort of beverage bribe would get me and the wifey some ride time(well barefoot time for me). Odouls work for everyone?
'94SN Restoration underway...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 4:51pm
Those of you old timers who have an interest in barefooting may recall the name John Gillette. Long before the internet, he wrote the definitive guide to barefooting. I reached out to him a couple years ago and followed up this morning. Here is my note and his response. Great guy. A bit of trivia on the V-drive BFN.

Hi Larry,

Nice to hear from you and welcome to the South!

The Correct Craft gathering on Lake Norman sounds wonderful, and I would LOVE to be part. However, I will be in Orlando October 5-6 for a Sea World Water Ski Show Reunion. It is disappointing that I can't attend the Correct Craft gathering in my back yard!

Please tell folks it was an honor to be Product Manager for Ski Nautique and Barefoot Nautique from 1984 to 1990, and that it brings me great satisfaction that I may have made some small contribution to their enjoyment of their boats.

Interestingly, in about 1989 sitting around a Correct Craft management team meeting, I presented the bold idea of using a V-drive in the Barefoot Nautique to increase it's speed and open up the cockpit. No tournament inboard company was using a V-drive, though Correct Craft had back in the '60s. The plant manager dreaded the idea...more difficult from a manufacturing standpoint. There were chuckles and rolls of they eyes, but the idea developed and went into production in about 1990. Soon afterward Mastercraft came out with their Maristar V-drive, and the trend took off. Amazing how V-drives are the bulk of inboards today!

Please let me know the next time you are in town. I would still enjoy connecting.

John

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM, T. Lawrence Hineline <lhineline@joyceengineering.com> wrote:
John,

My name is Larry Hineline, you may or may not recall that I contacted you a few years ago, asking if you had any copies of your book that you might be able to send me. The book was my, as it was so many people’s, bible on learning new barefooting moves in the 80s, and through the years and many moves, I had lost mine. You sent me a new one which I very much appreciate. I mentioned during one of our couple conversations that although I lived in MA, I got to NC on occasion, which I have through the years. But now, in reaching a fairly long term goal, I am now a resident, over in the Pinehurst area. I had also mentioned that if I was ever in the area, I might reach out to you to see if we could get together for a pull and you said to let you know.

Next weekend, (Oct 6-7) a number of us Correct Craft Fans ( correctcraftfan.com ) guys are getting together on Lake Norman in Mooresville. I was wondering if there is any chance at all that you might be interested in getting together with a bunch of boat/water sport enthusiasts. As a rule, we are vintage Correct Craft guys (60s, 70s 80s) but there are some new boat guys too. In fact the host of the gathering is one of the owners of Race City Marine, although this is by no means any kind of “official” event, just friends getting together. For the most part, we are all just recreational skiers, footers, riders, but we have a good time.    I would really enjoy the opportunity to meet you, maybe even foot a little together. I know you are not a real regular any more, but I did read someplace where you still like to get out once or twice a year. Maybe this could be one of those outings.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks again for your book, great memories of a lot of great times on the water, along with some great spills.

-Larry
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 4:53pm

Reid's house?

How many are you bringing with you??
Tubing Sucks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Foot_Fungus Foot_Fungus wrote:

For those with boats...what sort of beverage bribe would get me and the wifey some ride time(well barefoot time for me). Odouls work for everyone?

John,

No Bribe needed. I am sure there will be enough adult refreshments on hand. There will be plenty of boats to give you a pull. Norman is large and many boats are on it so you better be up early or out late to go footing. However, the boat traffic has slowed greatly since labor day now that the kids are at school and the tubes are in storage.

Joe, Tim, Adam, John M, and Steve are big into footing so their will be some action happening. However, did you notice I left my name off of that list. I am too pretty for face plants.

Donald
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 5:32pm

Reid's house?

How many are you bringing with you??

just me right now, that's why I threw it out to the Ohio crew
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 6:02pm

. I am too pretty for face plants.

There isn't an emoticon funny enough for this^

Well done Donald. L o l
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

. I am too pretty for face plants.

There isn't an emoticon funny enough for this^

Well done Donald. L o l

What's your story, Hwood? I figured you'd be there.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 7:24pm
Wedding on Friday. On the road the week before and after for work with and a fun weekend in Nashville. Pinkham point is always a blast, sorry to be missing it.
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 7:55pm

Originally posted by JMurph JMurph wrote:

John, I was thinking of you yesterday while I was putting a part on a truck tht was heading to Annapolis. If I had more lead time, I could have had the engine on the back of it, too. Not enough time to do it or check with you to see if it was doable.

Bruce (and anyone else),

Don't ever be afraid to include me in your plans. I am always up for an adventure. I wish I had known.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 9:35pm
'Miss Scarlett' and I will be headed to Pinkham Point Thursday afternoon after I get off of work. So if any y'all are ready to hit the water on early Friday at least one of many boats will be there ready to go. Looking forward to hanging out with some of the regulars and some new faces too.

Any y'all Chicago Beer boys gonna make it let me know as I'll pick up a few cans of Boiled P-nuts to give to Mr. Brainard as he is fresh out.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic