Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Gnarled Impeller & Serious Spare Parts Question
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gnarled Impeller & Serious Spare Parts Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gnarled Impeller & Serious Spare Parts Question
    Posted: September-28-2012 at 2:09am
Just thought someone on this forum might like to see these ... just winterized my new '94 (again, new to me) SN. I asked the PCM/CC dealership to replace the impeller during the lay up process (as I had no idea of the service interval) ... take a look ... might be the original!?!?

On a serious note, I understand that PCM made a "spare parts" kit for their Ford 351 engines at one time—I have found some references to this in my "searching"; however, I can't locate one or get a list of what parts were included in it. This year I will be traveling with our boat for our now, annual, 2-week lake vacation (summer '13) ... and I would really like to have a comprehensive spare parts kits ... i.e., "vacation saver" ... I am looking for some help from the experts on this forum to set me up. What would you take along? Thanks in advance!

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 2:32am
1. A spare impeller
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 2:47am
A certain unnamed pro footer told me today that his impeller was toast, he held up a stub with no blades left at all. I asked him where are the blades? He said gone. I had to tell him they aren't gone they were all jammed in your tranny cooler and maybe at the thermostat too. He should know better. We pulled the hoses and got a nice handful of broken rubber pieces (who knows how much more was stuck in there somewhere) we got alot out anyway.

Anyway I guess it should just be said every once in while so others don't make that midtake. He thought it would just wash out the exhaust.

A spare impeller really is your 1. spare part
This is the life
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 8:22am
What do I have as spare parts (vacation savers as you call it)

1. Spare impeller
2. A spark plug or two (when I change my spark plugs, I keep the two best looking old ones as spares).
3. I do the same with my old ditribution cap and rotor if they are not too busted...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 2:27pm
I keep an extra gas cap key. I figure that would be a really annoying reason to not be able to use my boat.

Belts kit. There is a Ford PCM belt kit: http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP066001-8

Tools and supplies to do basic wiring repairs.

It would be good to have an extra water strainer bowl gasket in case you accidentally dump your old one overboard when cleaning out the strainer: http://www.nautiqueparts.com/waterstrainergasket.aspx
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 2:40pm
Brian,
Impellers don't last forever but running them without water is the real killer. At the ramp, don't even "lets see if it starts before we put in in the water"! Yours looks like it has been overheated due to lack of water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 2:49pm
The only spare parts that I carry with me is a new shift/throttle cable and an impeller. I guess you can add a prop puller and prop if you don't know the water you are using.

Routine maintenance will keep everything else in check. I replace the impeller & thermostat every 2 years, plugs/wires/cap/rotor every 3 years. Oil every 50 hours, tranny once a season.

Putting $200 or so into your boat each year for maintenance will keep it reliable.

Tim
Tubing Sucks.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 3:05pm
I carry an impeller,cap and rotor and a set of points,spare prop,nut and key and a puller
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2012 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Belts kit.
Tools and supplies to do basic wiring repairs.

Forgot to mention those

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2012 at 2:33am
Andy,

Given the look of the impeller that I just had removed/replaced ... would you suggest checking the tranny cooler and thermostat? I am trying to figure out what I should do at the dealership this spring until I figure out how to do this work myself! Thanks in advance!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2012 at 5:56am
you are lucky, that impeller isn't really that bad but those missing pieces are somewhere and usually its the tranny cooler that they get stuck in so it would not hurt to check. Very small pieces do go all the way out. You never know if it's original and my guess would be not on a 94. Its easy to check and gets you familiar with the engine cooling components. You should learn how to change an impeller too it's not hard. Just make sure your hose clamps are all nice and tight and no leaks when you put it back together. use the search to find how to run it off the bucket/hose. Impellers are kinda the weak link in the system. Like the belt of a snowmobile...if it goes you stop...and it's going to go....number 1 spare item on snowmobile??? the belt.    
This is the life
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2012 at 9:32pm
In both my '95 and '85 the tranny cooler is before the impeller right after the strainer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2012 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

In both my '95 and '85 the tranny cooler is before the impeller right after the strainer.

This is correct and the typical plumbing layout. The only way broken pieces of impeller can get t the trans cooler is when you pull the boat out of the lake and the water in the cooling system back flushes out the through hull pick up. The more likely place to find the busted impeller pieces is, as mentioned the T stat housing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2012 at 10:39pm
I have a collection of mint condition impellers that I've pulled out of my boats over the years. 2 and 3 year intervals don't seem to put much wear at all on them, and that's leaving them in place over the winter as well. They are surprisingly robust.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2012 at 12:55am
Sorry, my bad...was thinking mercruiser...tranny cooler is after pump.
This is the life
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2012 at 2:31am
Ok, great guys … keep it coming. Would it change your analysis if I told you that my Ford 351 (RH) has the ProTec ignition system (I DO). Note that I have already shared a great conversation with Vince at “skidim” (what a knowledgeable and generous guy!) … and, as best we can tell, my boat is not exhibiting ANY ProTec issues at this time—Vince suggested that it may NEVER!? Anyway, I am curious if the ProTec Retro Kit should be in my “vacation saver” kit. I realize that this would be a serious $$$ outlay, but then I would have it and I doubt it would have a “shelf life”–all of the reading that I have done suggests that it is not a matter of if, but when!? Curious about your thoughts on this and, finally, if it did need to be installed, how long would it take for a qualified boat mechanic to complete the conversion?

I have noted all the parts in the previous comments will get this kit made up. Curious if anyone knows what was in the original PCM kit that is no longer available? The only reference that I found for it was the following: (PCM RK173020 ON BOARD KIT, 302/351 86/ON "ON BOARD KIT", 302/351 86/ON - Out of Stock - PRICE: $387.60 at Marine Exhaust & Cooling System Parts).

Now what I really want to do is establish a maintenance “baseline.” I had my local CC/PCM dealership give her a once over before conducting a complete winterization (new impeller, change all fluids, new fuel filter … they did NOT replace the thermostat?) . The technician said everything looked good and recommended no additional service … great, right?! Well ... I subsequently learned from the prior owner that the boat was last tuned up 4 years ago and the stuffing box was last repacked 7 years ago (you have also had a look at the old impeller)? Curious about specific guidance as to what to have done this spring?

Also:

I have included a picture of my drive shaft stuffing box … thinking about having the whole thing replaced in the spring (I understand that the hose on the shaft log can be an especially vulnerable spot). During our stay in KY where we had the boat delivered (and where we plan to vacation annualy), I had an issue with an excessive drip rate in the drive shaft stuffing box. My solution, since we elected to keep the boat in the water each night, was to simply tighten the gland nut at the end of the day (I have subsequently learned this is a no-no as the packing will conform to the adjustment and then fail to seal/seat). Also, in conducting my research, I found an excellent “how to” on replacing the packing and I have included a link to it here: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

During our regular use, we launch and recover the boat each day … our now annual summer vacation is the only time where we will elect to keep the boat in the water overnight (mind you that we have little kids … it just makes things easier and our rental lake home has an excellent dock with great protection, see my diary photo).

Bottom line: I would be tempted to do the repacking myself, but it appears that if I want to replace the shaft log hose, it is necessary to remove the drive shaft (and, I have been advised that the cutlass bearing should be replaced while you are at it)!? Thoughts, recommendations?

I understand the “if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it” and, right now, albeit with the excessive drip rate, the boat is running great. To reiterate, I am looking for specific guidance on what to do this spring both to establish this maintenance “baseline” and help insure that I can pull off another great family ski vacation without a hitch!

I apologize for this LONG post but I will sure appreciate the forthcoming help!

The links that I mentioned: 1) skidim ProTec retro kit: http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK107026A and 2) the GREAT stuffing box tutorial, IMHO: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

Stuffing box pic, please IGNORE the extra clamp, I just slid that on there for fitment before I started in on adjusting the gland and locking nut the first time (it is not there anymore). The existing system has the two clamps situated toward the stern and the single clamp toward the bow (I made NO adjustments to these).

Final question, if I elect to use the GORE packing material (drip LESS material) ... you don't know of any issues with the Gore product reacting with the CC drive shaft (just something I read about with some drive shafts).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2012 at 8:26am
Is the packing leaking? It does look like the packing gland is run down almost all the way. Do consider a repack and the Gortex is a great product.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2012 at 8:40am
Quote right now, albeit with the excessive drip rate, the boat is running great

Take it from a newb a repack is one of the simplest (and cheapest) things you can do, its very very simple and only takes 10 mins plus a little time on the water to adjust. Just remember its hand tight only

The packing rope (Gortex as Pete advised is best) is cheap so there is no reason not to buy enough to keep some spare, you don't need extra water filling your bilge for such a simple fix.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 3:37am
For a GT-40 I carry belts, impeller, 4' water hose section, various hose clamps, and an extra spark plug.

I check my impeller every year and replace at any sign of wear. I bought a 99 recently from dealership... they did compression check etc but said they didn't check impeller as temp was fine? I was a bit dumbfounded that a dealer wouldn't just tell mechanic to open and check as it takes less than 15 mins. I noticed temp at idle climbing to 175ish so I opened after owning for a week and found:

After I found this I also changed belts, oil, tranny fluid etc. Found 4 of the 4.5 missing blades
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 11:59am
426.36 is new pricing from pcm on that kit.

fuel filter
oil filter
coil
fuel pump
fuel line
RWP gasket
spark plug kit
impeller kit
Drive Belt set
Resistor
distributor tune up kit.

They still have a listing for these kits for every engine ever made.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

426.36 is new pricing from pcm on that kit.

fuel filter
oil filter
coil
fuel pump
fuel line
RWP gasket
spark plug kit
impeller kit
Drive Belt set
Resistor
distributor tune up kit.

They still have a listing for these kits for every engine ever made.

Website? link?

Also are all impellers the same? you gus have a prefered one for inboards? need one for my 318....
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 12:40pm
It's from me. I pulled it directly from the PCM price guide and I don't have those up on the site yet.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 2:35pm
The original poster didn't mention whether they have a carburetor, but I assume they do, it being a 94. If so, these tools will come in handy to have handy (in the truck etc.), but not necessarily on board:

A look at this thread will explain a bit:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27143
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2013 at 2:00pm
Peter,

I am getting ready to do the packing job (I will be using the GoreTex product). In your post you mention that the packing gland nut "is run down almost all the way" ... does that mean I should return it to a position closer to the stern, i.e., closer to the hose par (run it all the way on the threads down toward the stern an begin there)—I just don't want to make in changes in the alignment or wear patter on the shaft. Alternatively, I can repack and leave it essentially where it is ... I ordered both 3/16 and 1/4 packing, but believe our '94 is 3/16? Thanks in advance.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2013 at 2:42pm
I would suggest a spare prop, prop puller, fuses (navigation lights) and some red / green glow sticks with some dental floss or fishing line in case your bow lights go out out.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2013 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by gsyogi gsyogi wrote:

Peter,

I am getting ready to do the packing job (I will be using the GoreTex product). In your post you mention that the packing gland nut "is run down almost all the way" ... does that mean I should return it to a position closer to the stern, i.e., closer to the hose par (run it all the way on the threads down toward the stern an begin there)—I just don't want to make in changes in the alignment or wear patter on the shaft. Alternatively, I can repack and leave it essentially where it is ... I ordered both 3/16 and 1/4 packing, but believe our '94 is 3/16? Thanks in advance.

Copied from the PM sent:
Brian,
I mentioned the nut being run down almost all the way meaning there's ether not enough packing in the gland and or most of it is burnt up and gone. With 4 rings of packing, you should have about half of the threads showing. Remember, hand tighten the packing at least until you have run it some to seat the packing. If it runs hot, it's too tight.
Happy boating, Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic