NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Running motor backwards

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
thateb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thateb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running motor backwards
    Posted: October-03-2012 at 1:16am
So I have the 302 running backwards now in the 76 Ski Tique. To recap, I bought this boat as a basket case not knowing that the motor in it was not original and was set up to run CCW. I replaced the camshaft and now have it running CW. I have only run it for about 30 seconds cuz I havent gotten around to changing the oil since I dont know how old the current oil is etc. BUT, that made me think: is the oil pump spinning the wrong way now? Do I need a backwards rotation oil pump now too? BTW these backwards rotation parts are ***************g expensive!

This is a clip of it idling
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 1:28am
No your good,the oil pump and distributor always turn in the correct direction no matter which way the engine turns. The thing you should be worring about is camshaft break-in. It is important you use the correct oil with ZDDP and run it as the cam manufacture recommends
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
thateb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thateb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 1:41am
Can you explain ZDDP? Also, its a Melling cam.

Melling Cam
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 1:51am
it's an additive that due to the EPA has been removed from just about all oils. You can buy it seperatly to add to your oil,it's not cheap or you can run Valvoline VR-1 it still has it. Newer engines have gone over to roller cams that do not need it. Did you get break-in instructions from Melling?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 1:56am
This is a critical time for your camshafts life,you could ruin it in minutes. Melling link
Do not run a synthetic either
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
thateb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thateb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 1:59am
Hmmm, noted. Thanks. No I dont think that break in instructions were in the box. I will double check when I get out to it tomorrow though. Should I follow common break in procedure off the interwebs?

What happens if a guy doesnt use that product? Is it pretty common among engine builders etc. so it might not be difficult to find?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 2:07am
Auto zone or napa usually have it around here don't know about where you live. The area at the lifter and the cam is under tremendous pressure,zddp was used in oils to protect it. What will happen is you can wear off a cam lobe and you get to start all over again with a new cam and lifters. You did use new lifters with your new cam right?

Here is mellings instructions--

Important Camshaft Break-In Information for Flat Tappet Cams
The following information should be considered for any engine that uses a flat tappet design and should be referenced before initial start-up.
The current engine oils used by engine manufacturers in new car production are not applicable for initial flat tappet break-in. Those oils are less desirable than older formulations which have better wear additives than the current SM category oils. With the advent of roller lifters, and cams, as well as roller rockers, the need for those expensive elements has diminished.
There have been numerous reports of premature flat tappet camshaft failure. This has been an issue of late and not just with one brand or type of camshaft. In almost every case, the hardness or the taper of the cam lobe is suspected, yet most of the time that is not the problem. This growing trend is due to factors that are unrelated to camshaft manufacture or quality. Changes in today’s oil products and “advanced” internal engine design have contributed to a harsher environment for the camshaft and a potential for failure during break-in. However, there are several things you can do to turn the tide on this discouraging trend.
Below is a list of oils with higher levels of wear preventive additives that may be more desirable during flat tappet break-in. All of the oils listed below also have flashpoints above 400° F.
Delo 400 Delvac Rotella T
Magnesium 23 Moly 35 Magnesium 20
Calcium 3343 Boron 61 Calcium 3322
Zinc 1376 Calcium 2195 Phosphorus 1326
Viscosity @ 100° C 15.95 Magnesium 419 Zinc 1499
TBN * 10.63 Phosphorus 1120 Viscosity @ 100° C 15.12
Zinc 1231 TBN * 10.36
Viscosity @ 100° C 15.5
No TBN *
* TBN stands for Total Base Number, which is the measurement of a lubricant’s reserve alkalinity. The higher a motor oil’s TBN, the more effective it is in handling contaminants and reducing the corrosive effects of acids for an extended period of time.
􀂾 Melling and Melling Select Performance offer Mell-Lube, camshaft lube, (Melling part # M-10012). Use liberal amounts when installing new camshaft and lifters.
NOTE:
Some of this information has been provided by AREA. Ref., AERA Technical Bulletin, TB233
Recommended Camshaft Break-In Procedures
In order to give your camshaft and lifters the best possible chance to make it through the first crucial moments of operation upon initial startup and provide a long, trouble-free service life, the following is recommended:
PRELUBE BY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING METHODS
BEST
Pressure Tank System: The pressure tank system is by far the best method of making all air is purged from the oil galleys. Prelube until oil is seen at the rocker arms. Use an oil recommended by the manufacturer, do NOT use a non-detergent oil.
NEXT BEST
Spinning The Oil Pump: Using a priming tool, turn the pump with a drill until oil is seen at the rocker arms. Priming tools are available from Melling.
LEAST DESIRABLE
Free Spinning The Engine: Remove the spark plugs and turn the engine with the starter until oil pressure is noted on the gauge.
BEFORE STARTING: Set the timing and be sure fuel is in the carburetor or injection before cranking. This will assure the engine starts with the least amount of cranking.
START THE ENGINE: After it starts, check for oil pressure and bring the RPM to 1500-2000. If the pressure is good, run the engine at this RPM range for 20 minutes. After this run in period,final adjustments can be made and the engine put in service.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 2:15am
You must have changed the distributor gear as well, right?
thateb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thateb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 2:19am
Hmmm. Im cheap so I left the old lifters in. I suppose I will find out if that was stupid. Most lifters felt spongy while two or three felt stiff while installing. I did my daintiest in adjusting valve lash.

I didnt prime the oil system. Just cranked it. I did prelube the cam with white lithium grease while installing it. Total run time on the cam now is no more than 30 seconds. Probably another 20 seconds of cranking before that.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 2:20am
not good on any of the above
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
thateb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thateb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 2:21am
Oh, sorry, I used the distributor, intake, carburetor, exhaust manifold from old setup
thateb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thateb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 2:24am
Haha! how bad did I do?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 2:31am
you have a good chance of having to do it all again. Should have asked first or just googled camshaft installation
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
thateb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thateb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 2:38am
I have very little run time on the new camshaft. It cant be wrecked yet. What should I do to do it correcter?
thateb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thateb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 2:48am
Or correctorish... ?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 3:22am
The best would be new lifters and a moly type of lube recommended by a cam manufacturer. There is a chance you have already damaged it or if your really lucky and maybe have the stock and fatigued valve springs still on you got away with it. Joe and or Tim might see this in the morning and advise too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 7:27am
Originally posted by thateb thateb wrote:

What happens if a guy doesnt use that product? Is it pretty common among engine builders etc. so it might not be difficult to find?

I have seen a couple cams with the lobs almost gone when they were run on oils without ZDDP.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 11:55am

Oh, sorry, I used the distributor, intake, carburetor, exhaust manifold from old setup

If you changed rotation, you would have had to at least changed the distributor gear, right?

I guess the cam gears wouldn't have meshed if it were wrong...
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 12:06pm
Sad day. You can reuse roller lifters or re install lifters on a camshaft that has been broken in on those particular lifters. They all get a wear pattern because flat tappet camshafts spin the lifters around while they run. This prevents excessive wear on the lifter in one position. Each Lifter Must be placed in the same hole they came out of. ZDDP prevents metal to metal contact especially on flat tappet high lift(high spring pressure) applications.

It only take a few rotations to wipe a lobe. The mopar purple shaft cams were notorious for that on start up. Mine made it through!

Internal engine work is worth the time to study what you need to do because it is expensive and takes a while to re do.

On a side note besides, camshaft break in my car has never had ZDDP in the oil and it has 15k miles and probably 150 passes down the 1320. Needless to say she is getting a bit tired. In retrospec, I will be running Valvoline Racing when it gets freshened up again.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 12:07pm
Agreed the gear that you are using could not have been used with the last cam or it wouldnt mesh. Either that or the last cam was also a reverse rotation cam that you were trying to turn std rotation and it never ran?

You need new lifters to go with the new cam, they are cheap, get a set from melling lube the heck out of them with cam lube, reinstall and follow the break in proceedure above. The reality is that you can destroy a cam in 30 secs, but you might not have.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 12:23pm
Did you swap a correct rotation rear main and front crank seal?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Agreed the gear that you are using could not have been used with the last cam or it wouldnt mesh. Either that or the last cam was also a reverse rotation cam that you were trying to turn std rotation and it never ran?

You need new lifters to go with the new cam, they are cheap, get a set from melling lube the heck out of them with cam lube, reinstall and follow the break in proceedure above. The reality is that you can destroy a cam in 30 secs, but you might not have.

What Joe said.

Unless this is a gear drive Chevy, in which case the dizzy gear is the same for both rotations. If its a Ford, definitely need to swap gears.
thateb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thateb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 2:18pm
The engine starts up and runs so yes I did make sure to install the correct distributor seeing as the gears are cut specific to cam rotation.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 7:43pm
Ben - You might want to call Melling & run your situation by them. Maybe they would want to have you return it for inspection - possibly it could be polished if it is scored from the old lifters.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 8:20pm

The engine starts up and runs

Yes, it runs now but in 30 minuets will it after the lifters and cam are ground down? Sorry, but I agree with all the other comments regarding the caution on the lifter to cam interface.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 9:54pm
& how many parts will the metal grit take with it?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

& how many parts will the metal grit take with it?

It always pays to ask first and do the investigation!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jfk12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jfk12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2012 at 11:02pm
Just a quick question? Isn't the crank shaft cut different at the remain seal area on a counter rotation engine??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic