Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer + boat weight

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bwana50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwana50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer + boat weight
    Posted: October-03-2012 at 4:07pm
Does anyone know the approximate weight for a '96 Ski Nautique and Ramlin single-axle trailer? My trailer registration says 8000 lbs, but I'm sure that's a max weight rating, not the actual weight. Looking for a new SUV and trying to determine if I need it to tow Class II or Class III.
1996 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2012 at 4:14pm
Figure 3500 lbs or so dry (2500+1000). Add some fuel and gear and you could easily be flirting with 4k lbs. Id consider a Class III hitch to be a minimum, and prefer a Class IV.
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2012 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by bwana50 bwana50 wrote:

Does anyone know the approximate weight for a '96 Ski Nautique and Ramlin single-axle trailer? My trailer registration says 8000 lbs, but I'm sure that's a max weight rating, not the actual weight. Looking for a new SUV and trying to determine if I need it to tow Class II or Class III.

I am aware we are talking about a 10 year difference, HOWEVER:

My trailer weighs about 940 pounds. Total weight is around 3800 pounds:

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2012 at 12:52am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Originally posted by bwana50 bwana50 wrote:

I am aware we are talking about a 10 year difference, HOWEVER:

My trailer weighs about 940 pounds. Total weight is around 3800 pounds:

great photo, although with a nice truck like that you could haul a small cabin cruiser....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2012 at 8:27am
Matt,
You have a little too much drop on the hitch ball mount. The trailer frame should be roughly level with the pavement.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2012 at 12:46am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Matt,
You have a little too much drop on the hitch ball mount. The trailer frame should be roughly level with the pavement.

Yes!

I switched it around this year. But that photo is a little mis-represented, that parking lot there is on a slight angle and I'm on the downward side.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2012 at 12:48am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

great photo, although with a nice truck like that you could haul a small cabin cruiser....

HA!

Hardly. I've only got the 5.3 V8, which is a fantastic engine, but with 3.42 rear gears, it's a dog.

My grandma's Buick Rainier with the 5.3 V8 and 3.73s pulls it A LOT better
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2012 at 2:22am
Class II is toying with its max limit. Get a vehicle with a 5K tow rating and a class III and you'll be golden.
'94SN Restoration underway...
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2012 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Matt,

I towed my Sport a bit bow low on purpose this summer, found that the prop guard scraped really easily at some of the rough dirt ramps I used when trailer was level. Might have given me an inch or so more clearance at the guard.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic