Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Empty Trailer Bouncing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Empty Trailer Bouncing
    Posted: October-08-2012 at 11:55pm
When pulling my empty trailer for the 176 it bounces. Shakes the truck.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tim
Tubing Sucks.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 12:41am
Put the boat back on it!
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 12:49am
For what it may be worth. many times I've towed the trailer for my Century empty behind our Honda Pilot and it always rode just fine. Recently towed it empty behind our Ford Ranger Edge V6 and it bounced around terribly. Rather than over-analyzing it, I just decided to not use the ranger, but have wondered why the difference might occur........
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 12:56am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

For what it may be worth. many times I've towed the trailer for my Century empty behind our Honda Pilot and it always rode just fine. Recently towed it empty behind our Ford Ranger Edge V6 and it bounced around terribly. Rather than over-analyzing it, I just decided to not use the ranger, but have wondered why the difference might occur........

When your used to a Honda, a ford will make anybody a little bucky
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Tide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 1:06am
I think it's normal to shake and bounce when your getting up to speed with an empty trailer. My brand new Ramlin does it. I think it has to do with running 60+ pounds in each tire with little weight on them. If it does it excessively when your getting up to speed or if it does it at all when at cruising speed you probably have a bad tire.
79SNbrady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79SNbrady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 1:54am
Both my 79 SN trailer and my dads dual axel road king trailer for his 22foot Boston whaler bounce when unloaded. They tend to be very bounce without a couple 1000 pound boat missing.
"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

1979 Ski Nautique - (stringer job completed summer 2012)
2007 236 Team - All White!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 3:54am

Do you tow the Century with a Honda Pilot? My friend towed my willys on an aluminum trailer for me, it made it about 350 miles of a 400 mile trip before the trans blew. It was still under warranty though so no real harm. He has since sold it.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 9:23am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Do you tow the Century with a Honda Pilot? My friend towed my willys on an aluminum trailer for me, it made it about 350 miles of a 400 mile trip before the trans blew. It was still under warranty though so no real harm. He has since sold it.

Yes. The AWD Pilot has 4500 lb. towing capacity and tows both my boats with relative ease.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 9:26am

Are the ball heights different between the two vehicles? The level of the trailer frame may make the difference?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 11:37am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Are the ball heights different between the two vehicles? The level of the trailer frame may make the difference?

Me and Reidp were swaping empty trailer towing stories just yesterday yesterday. Both of us have experienced shaking apart empty trailers on long trips, guide poles can break, bunks shake loose, etc.   Perhaps lowering the air pressure would be a resonable solution to implement. Until someone proves that out.. be careful pulling a trailer long distances, I would personally consider running a strap between the guide poles if you are going a real long ways.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 11:45am
When Marty and I drove back from the boatdr's (LA) with the Skylarks new #2 trailer it bounced at anything over 65mph so I'm convinced speed adds to the problem. I'd think lowering the air pressure in the tires would help.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 11:51am
I've had it happen with several trailers and wondered if the tires could be out of round due to sitting on them without moving for entended periods of time. Lower air pressure sounds kike a good idea.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 11:52am
Just like driving around an empty 1 ton truck, empty is not what the tires and springs are made for. take some air out it helps.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 12:35pm
Although every time I have bought trailer tires I have been told that balancing them is unnecessary, I always have mine balanced. I have found that it makes a difference when the trailer is loaded, judging by the vibration that is visible on parts like guide posts and fenders, but it can really make a difference when the trailer is empty. It doesn't cure the bouncing after a big bump, but it eliminates the violent shaking at speed. If you have ever ridden in a car with bad shocks and an out of balance wheel you know what I mean. Most trailers don't have the benefit of shocks.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 4:23pm
I'll be driving 180 miles on the highway with an empty dual axle trailer on Friday. Hopefully the extra weight of this trailer will keep it from bouncing. I may air down a bit and fill the tires once I reach my destination.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Slight height difference but not much. Doesn't really matter, Ranger has 185,000 miles so it's not like I use it as a regular tow vehicle. In fact, I never tow my boats anywhere, so why did I join this thread anyway???
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 1:24am
Fixed the problem.

Put the boat back on the trailer. Clocked in 70 hours between july 4th and yesterday, not too bad.
Tubing Sucks.
Fatboy206 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatboy206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 3:32am
Try lowering the tyre pressure to 28 or so PSI.

Make surE ethe tyres are properly balanced.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic