NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 San Juan has a new home

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 7:15pm
Jeff, do you plan to get the floor up this winter and take a look? We're these old SJ's foamed?

Im sure you're as fascinated as the rest of us to see what type of condition it's in....

Mark
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 7:16pm
Joe, if Jeff could afford to buy this boat he can afford to feed it fuel.

Oh, that's right, the boat was free ..... I'm still jealous!

I think we all agree that, assuming no major issues with it, he's best to run what it has now for a season and see how he likes it. I think all that's needed is with a load of 8 people and gear on board the boat should roll over the top and plane in a reasonable time.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 7:40pm
Surfing was actually the first thing I thought of when I saw this thing in person. There really isn't any way of getting back into the boat. I'm going to have to build a swim platform and get a ladder for it.

Also, I noticed that the giant bow railing isn't there, and a somewhat close inspection makes me think it never was.

There was/is foam in it. The PO Joe said everything is encased in foam. We know what that means. I've also noticed a lot of delamination that looks exactly like my 84 looked. With that said, the stringer system looks to be a bunch of 2xs with minimal (if any) notches. I sent a few PMs to some of the other SJ owners but haven't seen any responses yet.

I stopped over my parents' house a few hours ago to check it out. It has been raining all day so I wanted to see how my tarps held up. Some more of the mussels have fallen off. The bases that they use to stick to the surface have hardened and have to be scraped off. I'd say I have about 85% of the mussels off but the rest is going to be a pain. I need to get it off the trailer and get underneath it. I think one more trip to the power washer is in order first.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 7:52pm
Does anyone know where I can find the lifting eyes? They are both this style:
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 11:31am
How soon do you need them? I'm going to part out my 1968-69 mustang, has nice healthy lifting eyes.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 11:36am
I think you better FedEx them. Jeff may want to drop that in the Mohawk river this weekend! Get on it!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 11:52am
Well, I could drop it in the Mohawk... I did get the registration yesterday. Although it wouldn't move under its own power. Of course I'd be tackled by DEC if I let that thing near a waterway.

Wanted to make sure I didn't have any problems with the title from Mass. $57 later and I've got stickers.

Turning point - I am going to block it for now, but want to lift it soon. It is going to be fun trying to get those old rusted lifting rings out.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

It is going to be fun trying to get those old rusted lifting rings out.

If the threaded rods are shot, take a sawzall to them. It'll be more pleasant to remove the actual rings from the rods on the bench than in the boat.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 12:11pm
Yes Jeff, just saw off those rods. I'd use a good hacksaw blade. Sawzalls can get out of control sometimes in small spaces, and BOOM, the blade gets shoved through the side of the boat!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Yes Jeff, just saw off those rods. I'd use a good hacksaw blade. Sawzalls can get out of control sometimes in small spaces, and BOOM, the blade gets shoved through the side of the boat!

I'd still use a sawzall, they make very small metal cutting ones, 2-3" in length, so you don't have an " O *************** me" moment. :)
1970 Mustang
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

I'd still use a sawzall, they make very small metal cutting ones, 2-3" in length, so you don't have an " O *************** me" moment. :)

I'd say power tools should be fine, there looks to be a ton of room there!

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 2:53pm

As a self-proclaimed sawzall artist, I'd recommend more sawzall practice! I'm a surgeon with that tool- one of the best tools ever made by man.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

As a self-proclaimed sawzall artist, I'd recommend more sawzall practice! I'm a surgeon with that tool- one of the best tools ever made by man.

What's your brand?
1970 Mustang
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 6:46pm
You can get lifting eyes from Perko, you will have to buy or make new threaded rod stock and plates. Cool boat you probably had 400 lbs of marine life on that hull ?
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 7:36pm
That thing looks like it would be awesome to wakeboard behind. You should paint it lime green and black and call it the "SJ23".   
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

That thing looks like it would be awesome to wakeboard behind. You should paint it lime green and black and call it the "SJ23".   

I was thinking dedicated tube boat. I could fit a few already inflated tubes in there!
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 8:08pm
Pete will love seeing the San Juan "Tube Special" Woooo Hooooo !!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 9:04pm
I forgot to mention this... I usually average about 17.2 MPG in my truck. On the way out with the empty trailer it was 14.0. On the way back with the boat it was 7.7!
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2012 at 12:03pm

I forgot to mention this... I usually average about 17.2 MPG in my truck. On the way out with the empty trailer it was 14.0. On the way back with the boat it was 7.7!

You didn't forget

And... my truck got 14MPG on the way out with just the trailer; it got 7.7MPG on the way home! But, it did well even going up those big hills in the Berkshires.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2012 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

You didn't forget

LOL I guess not.
Kick his ass seabass!
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 2:28am
A few more pics and comments.
Here is what it looks like after 1) Scraping as many mussels off as I could last Friday and Saturday with a shovel 2) Using a power washer at home for 30 mins 3) Going to a powerwashing place 2x and finally 4) scraping stuff off with a blade (actually the scraper end of a grill brush...).

I think I'm going to have to don the breather and goggles and go at the bottom with my angle grinder and a flapper disk.

You can also see how many coats of paint is on this thing. With all the paint, wet foam, and sea life, it probably has an extra 500 lbs! The barrel of mussels from Saturday had to be 120 lbs itself.

You can see the original doodoo mahogany gelcoat poking through in some spaces.

I also checked the tranny and it is indeed a BW 1:1 Velvet Drive 10-17-004. I may try to hoist the engine this weekend. The exhaust manifolds are worse than on my 84. One of the engine mounts is sooo rusted I'm not sure how I'm going to get it off. And one of the mounts has a lag that is only screwed in about 1/2 inch, with 2+ inches sticking up from the top.

I tried to get video of under the oil pan to see what I'm dealing with and can't see anything conclusive yet.

Suggestions on what you would do with the paint or any other ideas?

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 2:33am
Oh, I also tried to find the hull drain but haven't found one yet. Could it be there isn't one?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 2:39am
Two questions - is that prop guard that extends down from the cutlass bearing housing unusual? And what is the round disk with a bolt through it visible on both sides of the rudder?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 2:50am
The prop guard is part of the strut. You can see it here.

The disk is a zinc anode for salt water. Example
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 3:01am

The prop guard is part of the strut. You can see it here.

The disk is a zinc anode for salt water. Example

Yes, I just haven't seen a CC strut that had a guard like that before, kind of surprised me. I wonder if it's partly designed as a weed cutter.

Anode didn't occur to me. So, if it's on the rudder, is there another one somewhere to protect the shaft, strut, and prop?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 8:36am
Jeff,
I'd go after the bottom paint with some Zip Strip before you try removing it mechanically. Then the very last I'd use a DA or RO sander.
David,
The extended skag on the strut is common on larger blue water boats.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 11:01am
looks like a good candidate for soda blasting
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 11:21am

Oh, I also tried to find the hull drain but haven't found one yet. Could it be there isn't one?

It's gotta be there somewhere. maybe still covered up with crap on the transom?

I'd second the power-wash with something more harsh before grinders and such. It'll come off....

I suspect you'll find a center drain when you pull the motor. I haven't been in one of these deep hull nautiques before, so it may not be visible.

Hoping to get down to the Fish Tique later, but that grab might push till Monday..
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 11:24am

You can see the original doodoo mahogany gelcoat poking through in some spaces.

Whats wrong with mahogany gel? Beats white paint by a mile! Id be stripping it down to the gel and restoring it, but thats just me.

That strut with the skag was pretty common on the large (glass) CC's in the 60's and early 70's. All of the 18'+ boats Ive seen have them- Wildcat, Tournament Skier, etc.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 1:47pm
I would soda blast if it were mine !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
  Share Topic