NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Tank Removal 97 Sport

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
trsulliv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trsulliv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Tank Removal 97 Sport
    Posted: October-15-2012 at 12:01am
I need to pull the fuel tank on my 1997 Sport Nautique to replace the sensor and wondering what the proper sequence was to remove it? I did get the rear panels off in the trunk, but coudl not see what is holding the tank in place. Thanks.
Cheers,

trsulliv
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 1:33pm
Hmmm. Are you sure you need to pull the tank completely out of the boat for that.

Are you talking about the fuel gauge Sender?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 1:38pm
Check out this thread:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26008&title=engine-for-1993-ski-nautique

It has some usefuel (I mean useful, but that was a funny typo so I left it) pics, such as this one:
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 6:33pm
Hey, that's my tank! Good grief was my boat ever a mess. It's taken a lot of scrubbing to get that floor clean.

Assuming the Sport is similar to the Ski, the tank is held in by those two metal straps going around the tank in the picture above. Take off the upper bolt and the nut under the L-shaped bracket that runs parallel to the bilge. The front of the strap will come right off and you can slide out the tank. Note that there are fuel and vent lines attached that will allow some movement of the tank without disconnecting them, but the fill hose is large and rather stiff.

However, I also think that there might be enough room to pull the sender out at an angle. It's the part with the wires going to it. Let me know if you'd like more pictures. We'd love to see pictures of what you are looking at!

Kevin
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
trsulliv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trsulliv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2012 at 2:25am
Okay, got at it tonight and it was easier than expected. So, pulled all the panels out of the trunk and unscrewed the two small stops. The next trick was to figure out how to get the seat out, thought I had to unscrew it from the inside, and then figured out it popped straight up. Found the pins for the seat bottom, and pulled the seat bottom out. Then saw two big brackets that held the tank in place and it looked like I would have to unscrew them from the "crawl space" under the floor. Looked closer and figured out I could turn them 90 degrees which allowed me to slide the tank enought to get full access to the sensor. Pulled the sensor and saw lots of rust and the float was stiff. I believe the rust is due to the fact that the boat only has about 175 hours on it, 115 when I bought it last spring. So the boat sat a lot and am guessin it had a partially full tank and it rust in the headspace. It actually worked when I moved it by hand, but going to order a new one anyway. Suggestions on where to order it?

Here are some pics.
Cheers,

trsulliv
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2012 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by trsulliv trsulliv wrote:

...It actually worked when I moved it by hand, but going to order a new one anyway. Suggestions on where to order it?

Great work figuring out how to access the tank.

I typically look to Nautiqueparts for that kinda stuff:
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/gauges_fuel.aspx

A while ago though, Backfoot found better senders for better prices:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26697

And actually, our site sponser, N3Boatworks had the same sender you need as Nautiqueparts for the same price:
http://www.n3boatworks.com/eshopprod_cat_5045-91698_product_868468.Fuel_Sending_Unit_2000_Prior.htm

So, a few options there.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic