Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine & Prop Rotation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bmrichards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmrichards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine & Prop Rotation
    Posted: October-15-2012 at 8:22pm
Hello gentleman, this is my 1st post on this forum and i'm sure this has been discussed many times, I recently purchased a 1994 SN 196 with the 5.8L Pro Boss EFI TBI engine. I know that that boat pulls in to left in reverse but is it the engine rotation that is doing that or the drive?
I guy at work is telling me that the engine runs in the opposite direction but it looks normal to me.

Barry
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 8:33pm
Look at the prop from the rear. If it turns clockwise it is a "right hand rotation". Counter-clockwise is "left hand rotation". I suspect that yours will be right hand.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 8:38pm
You have a RH prop for sure. All Ski Nautiques do. Prior to 1989, CC accomplished this by using reverse rotation motors. In 1989, CC started using PCM's 1.23:1 transmission, which reverses the direction of engine rotation. This allowed them to start using conventional (standard, ie LH) rotation engines, while keeping their trademark RH prop.

By and large, most direct drive CC's made 1989 and later use the 1.23:1 transmission, and have LH engines. However, CC made some "standard" models in 1993-1994 that used RH rotation engines mated to 1:1 PCM transmissions (which do not reverse the engine rotation).

So, based on the information youve given us, we cant tell which you have. If you can get us the information on the transmission tag, or the information off the engine tag (located on the intake manifold) that would be pretty definitive.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 8:41pm
Provided You have a reduction (1.23:1) transmission and not a 1:1 your engine is standard rotation (left hand) however your transmission will turn the opposite direction (Right hand)as will your propeller, hence why your boat backs to the left. Now had you have one of the "Scrappy" SN it had a 1:1 transmission and a right hand rotation motor all turning right,,,still backing to the left.
Hope this helps with your question
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
bmrichards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmrichards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2012 at 8:51pm
Thanks guy's I will check my transmission tag & post. It's starting to get colder up here so its time to put her to sleep.

Barry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic