NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I Beams

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Beams
    Posted: October-16-2012 at 10:27am
I'm looking for I beams to set up for engine lifting , boat turning etc. does anyone know of a good source in western Michigan ? Also the beam rollers ?
Does any one have some good photos of their shop set up ?
Thanks Kirk
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 10:54am
Check with salvalge yards. Sometimes they have some I Beam from a demolition. Why pay for new?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 12:41pm
Kirk, hopefully Pete provides some input as beams/rollers were part of the build on his shop up North. He had (2) beams 8' apart. Can send you PDF's of the drawings if that would help you at all, just need an email address.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 1:43pm
dochockey at aol
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 2:19pm
Not as nice as Pete's setup with the 2 beams, but this works out well for just lifting (not flipping).

Beam trolleys and hoists were just from Harbor Freight and they work just fine for the amount I'll use them. I had a local steel supplier in town that got me the beam.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 8:24pm
what did use to support the beam?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 8:58pm
Kirk,
What is the span that you have. Many times the span has more influence on the W beam size than the weight you are lifting. I've got my charts here at home an will look it up.

I supported mine with timber strand 4x6 columns in the wall. Being a 2x6 wall, that gave me room for 2" of iso (R20} insulation. Where the W beam meets the OH door, there is a tripled 1.7 LVL header it sits on. Then, the header is sitting on triple trimmers on each end.

For the manual hoists, I went Northern since they have the Jet brand which is a higher quality. The trolleys came from them as well and are Jet also.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 10:02pm
The 1 ton electrics were a Ebay find that I cleaned up and painted.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 10:04pm
Or get lucky and obtain one for free. Those of you that know Jeff Toro (77 SN)... I got a call from him one Thursday night a few weeks ago... he needed help picking up this beast.
They were throwing it away at a local Stewart's shop as they removed and replaced their old coolers.

What a nice find.

Craig - how do you like those hoists? I saw them at HF and was thinking of getting them. I am close to renting a 3 stall garage with steel beams already in place.

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 10:08pm
If you go electrics, I highly recommend going with conductor bar and not festooned wire. The conductor bar is actually cheaper compared to all that copper needed in a festoon system. Plus, the festoon wire always blocks some of your lighting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2012 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

Or get lucky and obtain one for free.

Jeff,
Be very careful - hopefully there is a load rating on it!! You picture is not the greatest but it looks like a packaged bridge hoist. They are not as "beefy" as you may think or are just guessing at.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2012 at 10:36am
The Barn is 30 x 40 with 10' side walls. Currently no electric or concrete.   
I would like to span the 30' to keep the middle open.    
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2012 at 10:43am
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

Craig - how do you like those hoists? I saw them at HF and was thinking of getting them. I am close to renting a 3 stall garage with steel beams already in place.

I don't have a problem with them at all. Keep in mind they don't get used a whole lot either. If I were lifting boats up and down for a living I would probably get something a little nicer, but for what I will use it for (less than 5 times a year max) it works just great.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2012 at 12:31pm
W14x26 Kirk
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2012 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

W14x26 Kirk

Kirk,
Chris is correct and that's what I used since I wanted a safety factor. The W14x26 is rated for 9.4 tons at 30 feet. You could drop down all the way to a W12x14 which is rated at 4 tons but doesn't leave anything for safety. A W12x26 will handle 8.9 tons.

Add up all your height dimensions so you know you will have enough height under the hook. I have 11' walls plus only 6" of the W14 is below the ceiling. That gives me about 8'8" under the hook.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 1:10pm
Pete that shop of yours is great. I would love to have all electric but for now just below a beer budget. I have seen the jet rollers probably will go that rout. How long are your beams ? I'm finding new around $560 but at 30 ft a little hard to put on my ladder rack   
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 2:08pm
Pete also had a 30' span.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic