Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rewiring the electrical nightmare.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rewiring the electrical nightmare.
    Posted: October-19-2012 at 2:37pm
After being caught out towing the boat through a monsoon last month my dash has become an electrical nightmare. I'm seriously considering rewiring the complete dash and possibly everything back to the engine. Stereo and battery system are fine and I'm only loosing a couple of 10ths of a volt to the main breaker on the dash. After that everything is a mess, gauges are not functioning and I have a little over 3 volts at the key, but I can start the boat, why I don't know, but the dash never comes to life.

In the process of trying to figure out how I want to do this so I turns out better than the original and I don't have to worry about this stuff again. The new wiring I've done with marine connections and heat shrink survived just fine so I be using that for the new stuff. I'm also considering replacing the harness connectors with deutsh connectors which seem to be the modern waterproof standard. I also hate to splice new wires into the old disconnects. I want to add power and ground busses to the dash to get rid of the daisy chain nonsense that seems to cause the majority of the issues. So far I don't see anything that shouldn't take more than just a little bit of time for a very noticeable upgrade in reliability.

The one thing that I have found that I really like is some breaker toggle switches to replace the ETA buttons. The toggle breakers are just like the ETA breakers and will fit into the same spots, Livorsi makes them and it looks like I could make a better connection with some ring terminals instead of the quick disconects. Only problem is that I can't find any online, Livorsi will sell them to me direct but they want $45 each. That means about $500 with some shipping by the time I get them which is quite a bit more than I want to spend. The next thought is to replace the ETA buttons with regular switches and add some push to reset breakers in a new panel under the dash. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts or maybe cheaper source for a similar product?

All ideas about this are welcome, I don't want to do this and then go 'why didn't I think of that?'. I'm more concerned with upgrading than keeping it original right now, once I've decided exactly what I'm doing then I'll go back and figure out the original looking part.

watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

The one thing that I have found that I really like is some breaker toggle switches to replace the ETA buttons. The toggle breakers are just like the ETA breakers and will fit into the same spots, Livorsi makes them and it looks like I could make a better connection with some ring terminals instead of the quick disconects. Only problem is that I can't find any online, Livorsi will sell them to me direct but they want $45 each. That means about $500 with some shipping by the time I get them which is quite a bit more than I want to spend. The next thought is to replace the ETA buttons with regular switches and add some push to reset breakers in a new panel under the dash. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts or maybe cheaper source for a similar product?

The ETA's are easy to get. They work. They are easy to install. The last thing you want to fumble around with is ring terminals.
Tubing Sucks.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 2:49pm
Sounds no fun..... Most of the reason my gauges originally read off was ground/voltage drop through the original ignition switch and ignition breaker. I still need to go through all the grounds on the rear and the supply wires.

This winter I am pulling my dash out to have a graphic overlay made for the panel. This will be one of many projects for the winter.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 2:53pm
A quick search showed up marlandindustries in Dallas, ebasicpower perhaps. Google it there's a lot of info
Brian
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 2:57pm
Universal on eBay up to a 30 ft boat $90? That's kinda scary
Brian
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 3:01pm
Ebasicpower has a ton of stuff from what I have seen.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 3:20pm
Ebay. I just bought an aircraft (md-80) breaker panel loaded with about 25 klixen push/pull breakers exactly like the ones installed in the mid 80's CC's. Have multiples of 1,2,5, 7.5, 10 and 15A breakers. Got the whole panel for 60 bucks. Beats the heck out of the 20 to 25 bucks a breaker when they are sold individually, or at a marina. May throw a few of them back up on Ebay and get my money back later. They all come with screw terminals, and if I can do half as good a job of landing the wires, and taping them up as mcdonald douglas did, I will be happy. Thats another winter project when the dash pod comes in the house.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 3:44pm
Don, one idea I had, and would still like to carry out, is:
One bus for ground, one bus for constant positive (Red) and one bus for switched positive (purple).

This would use more overall wire, but ultimately eliminate quite a bit of the daisy chain confusion. My breaker cluster looks like a beaver dam made out of red wire, and that's factory. You could put the busses underneath, near the drivers footwell somewhere. As long as you used a heavy enough gauge, it would be stronger. It would also be "cleaner" and easier to diagnose.

The out put side of the main breaker, would go to the red pus, as well as the input side of the key ignition. Also, every other switch that had a constant hot input would go to the red bus, bilge, blower, horn nav lights.

The output side of the key would go to the purple bus. Then, the feed to all of the gauges (which are switched by the key), would go to this bus, instead of going to the daisy chain. Also, key switched accessories like depth finder and Perfect Pass would run off the Purple bus.

Right now, I have a ground bus in place, but I haven't completely removed the daisy chain. Ideally, if you could be sure you were accounting for every ground, you could just have them go to the bus.

I was reluctant to completely remove the pod from my boat, but I think that would ultimately make matters a whole lot easier.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 5:24pm
Brian, that's what I'm thinking with the 2 busses. Basically there are 2 groups of wires; the power and the gauges and then some stuff I've done. I would like to get all of this into 1 or 2 plugs so I can take the dash out of the boat if I want. I haven't figured out if I would have room to mount the busses to the dash or if they will have to be on the fiberglass.

The reason I like the ring terminal is the secure connection, I'm not planning on taking it off and it won't move otherwise. Same thing with the breakers, I can put a rubber cover on the switch so every thing is sealed up nicely. Right now I'm breaking the threads on the ETA breakers that hold them to the dash and the insulation on the wire is won't strip. The stuff is 20 years old and I think time has just caught up to everything.   The Livorsi stuff is solid and built for boats that live a much harder life in salt water. The best way to go is just do it all new and not wondering what may break as I go, and used parts are definately out, I've got those already.   Looks like theK ETA's are close to $20 now from Whitlake so maybe it's not as much more as I was thinking, I'll have to figure out what the seperate breakers and switches would cost.

The original extra run of wire to the dash really helped, but there has been the occasional issue with one thing or another. This is a huge mess, every wire has to be removed and cleaned up, I can see corrosion on everything. I was hoping to do enough of it to get a few more runs while it is still warm. Just trying to replace a few connectors I quickly found out how uncooperative every thing was. I now need a couple of breakers and a some new wire just from trying to clean up the first connection properly.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 5:41pm
I like the idea of the ring terminals too. I mean, the busses are typically going to be ring connection anyway, and the nice thing is, if you need to stack two wires to a single connection, it's a lot easier with ring than it is with a spade. Of course, obviously the OEM breakers are spade.

Or course,another thing to keep in mind with your 93, for gauges, at least on Nautiqueparts, your only option is Faria. They are nice gauges, but they are ring connection. And, the mechanism that fastens the gauge to the dash is also a big PITA with the Farias. The backing wants to interfere with the wiring. Of course, again, probably way easier with the pod totally out.

There's really not a whole lot of available volume under the pod. I have one bus in there right now, but if I was going to add a positive bus, and an ignition bus, I think putting them somewhere else could be a better option.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

Ebay. I just bought an aircraft (md-80) breaker panel loaded with about 25 klixen push/pull breakers exactly like the ones installed in the mid 80's CC's. Have multiples of 1,2,5, 7.5, 10 and 15A breakers. Got the whole panel for 60 bucks. Beats the heck out of the 20 to 25 bucks a breaker when they are sold individually, or at a marina. May throw a few of them back up on Ebay and get my money back later. They all come with screw terminals, and if I can do half as good a job of landing the wires, and taping them up as mcdonald douglas did, I will be happy. Thats another winter project when the dash pod comes in the house.

The klixon are not switches.
Tubing Sucks.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Brian, that's what I'm thinking with the 2 busses. Basically there are 2 groups of wires; the power and the gauges and then some stuff I've done. I would like to get all of this into 1 or 2 plugs so I can take the dash out of the boat if I want. I haven't figured out if I would have room to mount the busses to the dash or if they will have to be on the fiberglass.

The reason I like the ring terminal is the secure connection, I'm not planning on taking it off and it won't move otherwise. Same thing with the breakers, I can put a rubber cover on the switch so every thing is sealed up nicely. Right now I'm breaking the threads on the ETA breakers that hold them to the dash and the insulation on the wire is won't strip. The stuff is 20 years old and I think time has just caught up to everything.   The Livorsi stuff is solid and built for boats that live a much harder life in salt water. The best way to go is just do it all new and not wondering what may break as I go, and used parts are definately out, I've got those already.   Looks like theK ETA's are close to $20 now from Whitlake so maybe it's not as much more as I was thinking, I'll have to figure out what the seperate breakers and switches would cost.

The original extra run of wire to the dash really helped, but there has been the occasional issue with one thing or another. This is a huge mess, every wire has to be removed and cleaned up, I can see corrosion on everything. I was hoping to do enough of it to get a few more runs while it is still warm. Just trying to replace a few connectors I quickly found out how uncooperative every thing was. I now need a couple of breakers and a some new wire just from trying to clean up the first connection properly.

Your original wiring worked for 25+ Years. Why not just replace it the same way it was designed? Buying quality crimps with heat shrink will be a good start.

KISS
Tubing Sucks.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 6:05pm
My dash cracked where the screws held it, so I decided to replace it this summer and wow what a job that was. To get those breaker lights out of the dash they have to be cut. Now that i have it back together I don't like my dash replacement so I'm planning on doing it again. This time I'm going to redo it all
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

The klixon are not switches.

Neither are the mid 80's to early 90's switches on the dash panel, they are, and the Klixens are, thermal circuit breakers with a push pull operator that allows you to open the circuit like a switch, unlike other circuit breakers that you can reset by pushing them in, but can not pull them out to interrupt the circuit. The originals were E-T-A or TYCO W23 (used to be Potter-Brunmfield) type thermal circuit breaker switches.

E-T-A

Klixens:
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 6:51pm
Well.

All I can say is I have a boat with the ETA's and another vehicle with the klixon breakers. The klixon were not intended to be used like the ones in the boat.
Tubing Sucks.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 7:00pm
Beats the no breakers (or fuses) that are in my boat now. I didn't do it, it came to me that way. They are probably not intended to be used that way in your other vehicle (which i assume has wings)because you operate the equipment differently, but mechanically they both are the same internally, and the breaker itself operates the same way. One would assume the klixens are of substantially higher quality than the ITE, P&B and other, just because of their final intended use.

I have them and I'm using them.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

Beats the no breakers (or fuses) that are in my boat now. I didn't do it, it came to me that way. They are probably not intended to be used that way in your other vehicle (which i assume has wings)because you operate the equipment differently, but mechanically they both are the same internally, and the breaker itself operates the same way. One would assume the klixens are of substantially higher quality than the ITE, P&B and other, just because of their final intended use.

I have them and I'm using them.

Oh ok.

I thought you were using them as switches, they will be a great replacement for the fuses you currently have.

Tubing Sucks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 9:31pm
Doc, there was somebody on PN a few years ago that splashed a mold of the dash and built one in fiberglass.   The the thread comes up occasionally and I've thought about trying to get the mold from him, apparently the boat is gone now. Might be a good thing for someone here to have and rent out to people in need and let them make their own. I also think a carbon fiber dash pod might look good. Now that Marty has the stickers to replicate the side pods I'm going to replace those as well and see if I can put proper names on all the accessory switches that I'm now using.

The beauty of the Livorsi switches for this is their size which makes them direct replacements. They also make some nice gauges and I have thought a bit about them almost every thing is customizable so you could make something pretty cool. I also like the option of the deutsh connections on the back. I found a place that sells the fittings and will rent a crimped to do those so I will most likely wire it all up in advance and then rent the crimper for a weekend and make my plugs all at the same time at each end.   The wiring is a complete cluster from the factory, bare copper that's not sealed and conections that have multiple wires coming out, no way would I try to replicate that. I bet there is a half mile of wire under the dash and it is almost untraceable trying to figure out how it goes from one side to the other. I hope the only thing daisy chained will be the lights in the gauges, and I'm changing those from red to blue LED's to minimize the voltage drop and get all the lights in the boat the same color.

Brian (Hot Boat), cool link, there's a dash in the middle so it took a while to find. I actually have some of their 8 way connectors on the stereo so I can remove the top piece behind the back seat without completely unwiring the stereo when I have to pull the motor. The thing I like about deutsh connectors is that I can wire the connectors themselves instead of splicing on to the pig tails, I figure the less splices the better although I've never had on come apart when I've used the Anchor heat shrink connections.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 11:22pm
OK, made it down to the boat to look at things and start to try and figure this out, actually hope to test a buss out this weekend. It looks like a thin buss could be mounted under the flat portion of the dash above the pods below the gauges. Mine has a lighter plug on one side so that means there's a couple of inches underneath before the fiberglass. For now the plan is to keep the hot wire on the ignition breaker and jump the wire from that to the buss, and connect the rest of the breakers and the ignition to that buss. I found a cheap double buss at the pontoon dealer so I can use the other side for some grounds if I need to. So far this is looking like it may actually be easier than I was thinking, and having a buss under each side of the dash may be the final solution to keep the wire to the bare minimum.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 11:28pm
I didn't see it mentioned,I don't think, but get yourself marine wire when you do it too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 1:37am
I would consider a very small, low profile bus for the ignition side as well. That way, you have a couple extra posts for any accessories that go on with your key. And, you could tie the end of your gauge daisy chain back to it...

Oh yeah, there is also a blue (lights) daisy chain for all the gauge lights. These become white for some reason when going up to the speedos. Just something to keep in mind.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2012 at 6:13pm
Got the buss installed and everything seems to work much better. All the gauges are reading lower, more like what I expect except the gas gauge which I was hoping would go up.   

Almost 14 volts on the dash meter when running, about 14.5 at the battery so I'm very happy, the rewire will need 2 busses, just replacing the daisy chain powdering the breakers took 10 wires. I'm down to 5 breakers that haven't broken, the corrosion on some of them required pliers to remove the wires, metal switches are looking really good. As easy as it was to break some of them I suspect they would have pushed through the dash before too long.

It's close to 90 and the water is still in the mid 70's so I'm going to enjoy the boat a while longer while I collect parts, pprobably won't start on this until after I have my New Years ride. I'll update more when I get going on it and I'll get some pictures too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic