NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mounting Tracking Fin

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mounting Tracking Fin
    Posted: December-21-2005 at 6:19pm
My 69 SN has had a front tracking fin added, I believe that year came from the factory with only one. Anyway, that front fin is bent (previous owner--ever notice how most bad stuff occurs from PO's) and I removed it to get it straightened. That is when I noticed that the screws that were in it actually just penetrated the hull. The hull is about 5/8" thick where this fin is mounted.
So, help me with options:
One, go with through bolts and nuts to reattach.
Two, fiberglass a wood block into the bottom of the bilge where the fin mounts
Three, other ideas?
Of course I will also use a sealent.
Thanks for the help.
BTW, I've been using Eagle One Never Dull on the ski pylon and boat hardware, the stuff works great.
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2005 at 7:08pm
Lake I like option 2. Also; ditto on the Eagle One. Use it on the '80 and on my Harley. Works great. Never tried it on the wife tho. Hummmmm, might give it a try........john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2005 at 7:30pm
Option 2 sounds reasonable, but would rather see solid fiberglass, or something other than wood that wont rot in case of water intrusion.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2005 at 5:52am
Lake, Is the fin something you can straighten yourself or did you send it out to a prop guy? Thanks
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2005 at 6:21am
I've got a call into a prop guy now, I was planning on sending it out, not much experience with the metals--it's curved over about 15 degrees.
Come to think of it this boat is making me learn all kinds of things, my wife looks at me a bit more odd as of late. But, even she agrees it's a fun and beautiful ride.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2005 at 7:09am
I would do a compination of option 1 & 2. Adding some glass/wood lay-up as a backing or reinforcing will help spread the load over a wider area of the hull or stiffin the area some and then I would follow up with thru bolts with oversized washers, lock nuts and lock washers. If just using wood screws that would centralize or concentrate the stress into small areas which would be much weaker than the thru bolts if the fin was to hit something in the water or a trailer bunk while loading. And I believe the factory started thru bolting in the seventy's as well. My 79 is and I would assume it is factory but the PO could have done it but I doubt it.

Let me know once you get it straightened and back in the water if it makes much differnce in the ride or tracking of the boat. I have one fin that's a little bent and the boat seems to lean to one side a little more than it should but then again maybe its the fat ass in the drivers seat causing the problem
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2005 at 8:09pm
Lake- I'm in a fin situation aswell. I have an 88 ski. Our screws are stripped and I knoticed the it dripped water when I put it on out lift. I think that the screws do penetrate the hull a little in ours. At first i thought it was water that had gotten behind the screws. I'm not to sure about thru bols b/c i live on a fairly shallow lake and dont want a big section of the hull gone if I hit something! Let me know what you decide on! Thanks and good luck!

Mars
mars
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2005 at 10:38pm
Thanks for the input. I'm having trouble getting a hold of the prop guy (to straighten the fin), so that will give me a chance to consider what I'm going to do, leaning towards through bolts with some extra glass. I don't have any trouble with shallow water in the lake we use.
However, it looks like ice is going to keep an anticipated Christmas Day boat ride out of the picture!
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2005 at 6:05am
Isn't ice something you're supposed to put in your drink? Or cooler?

Sorry Lake, just couldn't help myself. Really do feel sorry for you guys in the North. Know how you feel, spent the first 53 years of my life waitinfg for summer. Gotta love year-round good weather, right BKH?....john

ps to BKH; How's the back?
"Loud pipes save lives"

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2005 at 9:02am
Well, it's been raining cats and dogs here in Norcal for the past week, but it's still 65 degrees. When we get a break in the weather, at least we can run out for a ride. That's a lot better than shoveling snow or breaking ice. It's supposed to be nice on Saturday.

Back is just going to take some time. All part of getting old I guess.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2005 at 9:29am
jbear, it's OK, I'll take pitty whenever I can get it. In favor of the North, or in my case the Midwest:
1. Snow, though cold, slipery, and inconvenient for driving, is beautiful to look at out your back window with the fireplace blazing, and good friends and family gathered for Christmas
2. The garage time for the boat gives one a chance to attend to things like--tracking fins.
3. Ice makes summer seem twice as nice
4. When the kids were young, sled riding, snowman building, and snow ball fights were pretty good memory builders
5. Hot chocolate can serve a purpose
6. Walking the dog at night can almost be a spiritual experience, providing the coat is warm enough
7. And, the cold helps one develop friendships with people in the south, and at least boat vicariously through the year. Have a great ride for me jbear!

Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2005 at 4:08pm
Lake; All good and true reasons! When I used to run, I always enjoyed getting in my miles after dark on a snowy nite, so I know what you mean about #6. Have a great Holiday Season!....john
"Loud pipes save lives"

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2005 at 6:20pm
Hey, any ideas where you could buy a tracker fin if you had to replace/add one?
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2005 at 6:45pm
Look on page 37 of this catalog:

Buck Algonquin
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2005 at 10:16pm
The Lake is brings to my attention that if it wasnt for the cold winters here in Maine It wouldnt be such a excitement/thrill. The short summer forces more enjoyment and use...
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2005 at 6:52am
Lake, I am sure the reason your other is giving you odd looks is because she does not know what you are going to do with that metal thing you pulled off your boat. Tell her to relax.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2005 at 10:12am
Jim,
I think the odd look may have something more to do with the fact that every minute I spend working on the boat is one minute less I spend working on the new bedroom furniture I started making, oh let's say, about 12 years ago. At this rate when I get the next piece done the first pieces will be antiques.
My problem is this, the boat floats, and is fun of the lake, while at best the bedroom furniture is nothing more than a fancy box for things like sox and underware. But, if my wife reads this the message is: "Next week."
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic