NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shore station

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Toeboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toeboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shore station
    Posted: October-22-2012 at 11:35pm
I ' m growing tired of trying to round up my few friends when it comes time to move the lift twice a year. Go for a ski in September no problem, help w lift 2 weeks later and the water is cold...weak excuse. Any clever ideas for low man power floating of lift in and out? What are you guys doing?
Toeboat

89 BFN w/454 bought new and still love it.
06 Ski Nautique w/ZR6
72 Promo
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 12:02am
Get a bunch of tire inner tubes, get them underneath the fixed lateral bars or cross-members down low... bungee them in place then go down with your air hose (you'll need a compressor close by)   scuba gear helps if the water is deep/cold..    Also not sure if you have neighbors with lifts or the accessibility of your shore line but if you have a few people right next to you with lifts talk to them about splitting the cost and having a crane come in.. If you can do a few lifts in one shot it can be pretty affordable and well worth it..
Furno View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 12:46am
The going rate on our lake to have the hoist lifted out is $65. Well worth the money. You can leave the boat in longer with no lingering worries that you'll need to round up your friends, feed them, provide beer, and then listen to the complain about how cold the water is.   
Andy

'83 2001
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 12:57am
i put in and take out my hewitt cantilever by myself every year...i disassemble it to do so...takes longer, but I can do it myself. it's definitely a PITA, but I don't need to count on other people.
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 1:03am
Originally posted by Toeboat Toeboat wrote:

I ' m growing tired of trying to round up my few friends when it comes time to move the lift twice a year. Go for a ski in September no problem, help w lift 2 weeks later and the water is cold...weak excuse. Any clever ideas for low man power floating of lift in and out? What are you guys doing?

I'll get a pic for you tommorow morning.

Tim
Tubing Sucks.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 1:03am
You folks hauling your lifts because of potential ice-flows? I'm in Rochester, off the lake in the bay. Lift stays in. I did pull the canopy vinyl this year, but the lift has been in the water for about 8 or 9 years....
Furno View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 1:13am
The lake I'm on is part of a river system that is dam controlled, so there is a bit of a ice flow in the Spring, but the biggest issue is in early winter, after the ice is on the lake, they seem to drop the water/ice level about 3 feet. That ice will do some real damage. If they would drop the water level before it freeze, we would be able to leave the hoist in place.
Andy

'83 2001
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 11:00am

Hire it done
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 11:09am
We make a party out of it. We have 5-6 hoists between our crew. We pick a date that works for most, make sure there is plenty of beer, and remove the lifts on that day. We move all the lifts in about an hour. We also help with any of the dock work that any of the guys need help with. Not to be chauvis....cheuvan.....sexist, but the wives usually have something warm cooking. It's actually a fun day, and usually full of jabs and laughter, especially when Tom trips over a dock post and fills his waders with water.

Threadjack;
Furno, Where are you in Clarkston? I know I can get a crew together to do your hoist if you buy a round at the Union. It can be a r ound of beers , or a few orders of Mac-n-Cheese.   
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 11:39am
Anyone have a lift in a boathouse? Do you remove yours or leave it in?
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 11:56am
Instead of inner tubes we use 2 rowboats under the cradle and winch it down to the frame. It is a 1 man job.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 12:06pm
We use the inner tube technique to float them in along with a 10' or so 4X4 which is levered underneath the crossmembers to move it around as needed. Easy peasy deployment.

As for getting them OUT- forget it. 65.00/ea to have them pulled out by somebody else while I crack a beer on the couch. Our shoreline has about a 20" rise right where the water meets the shore- no thanks on any of that business nor the risk of injury. I only move them down hill.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 12:13pm
Tie her up to the back of the tahoe, put it in 4 low and remove your foot from the brake is my favorite removal method.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

You folks hauling your lifts because of potential ice-flows? I'm in Rochester, off the lake in the bay. Lift stays in. I did pull the canopy vinyl this year, but the lift has been in the water for about 8 or 9 years....

My neighbor was on the same program for many years, this spring it only took 3 divers with lift bags and several boats to retrieve them from 50 ft down on the bottom of the lake. Spring ice out took his docks and lifts with it, they hung on for a while, well at least until the deep water, lol

Like Hollywood mentioned, lower the lift carriage on to a couple row boats then winch the lower cross members up towards the carriage. Carriage wont go down as a result of the boats so the bottom of the lift raises up.

We drag em up the beach with a FWD and some ropes. In the spring use a quad with the plow blade on and push em back in the lake to float em back out using the boat winch technique.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 12:37pm
Wheel and tow bar kits are great. Otherwise, the local water crew for about $65.00 (no canopy) is a great deal. I do it!! Since I have a abrupt shoreline (16 steps up from the dock) They put it on a work boat and take it down to a neighbors beach. Put the wheels on it and pull it up.

No, a lift in a boathouse is subject to the same damage as leaving it out on shore.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

No, a lift in a boathouse is subject to the same damage as leaving it out on shore.

Thanks,

I'll keep this in mind, i figure i can just lift it onto the boathouse piers with the boat hoists we still have attached if we ever get one.

I know i'm going to look into purchasing one this summer.
1970 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Thanks,

I'll keep this in mind, i figure i can just lift it onto the boathouse piers with the boat hoists we still have attached if we ever get one.

Why do you need a lift when you have hoists in the boathouse? Those things on a boat called lifting rings do have a purpose!!

I store two of my boats for winter in the boathouse by setting them on beams across the wet slips. The two beams on the left are for spaning the slips. The two on the right are setting up top to spread the load out to multiple floor joists.

Of course depending on what part of the country you are in, the term "boathouse" can mean different structures. Up here, a boathouse is a fully enclosed structure. I know down south, they call a roof only a "boathouse"!!! That's a joke!!! Where are you and what is your boathouse??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 2:44pm

Thanks,

Why do you need a lift when you have hoists in the boathouse? Those things on a boat called lifting rings do have a purpose!!

I store two of my boats for winter in the boathouse by setting them on beams across the wet slips. The two beams on the left are for spaning the slips. The two on the right are setting up top to spread the load out to multiple floor joists.

Of course depending on what part of the country you are in, the term "boathouse" can mean different structures. Up here, a boathouse is a fully enclosed structure. I know down south, they call a roof only a "boathouse"!!! That's a joke!!! Where are you and what is your boathouse??

Peter thanks for the quick response.

Boathouse is located in Manitowish Waters, WI It's a big OL' 3 slipper, fits 23', 14' and a 17' boats and is full enclosed. We used to do the same exact thing, but big problem we have with our boat house is it sits on a massive footer, and in the fall they lower the lake water about 4ft, this means that footer is exposed to freezing and thawing. So according to my uncle the boat house footer lifts it's self about 12" up every winter out of the water. So the family is not a big fan of storing boats in there. Honestly though, i just can't find anyone that can give us an honest reason why we can't store the boats in there. It would be so damn nice to be able to. I've done a TON of work placing in new Footer supports, burying cement block 2' with rebar going 5-6' even furth down into the mud bed and filling with cement, just to support the massive decking.
1970 Mustang
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 2:53pm
My neighbor used to store his CC Mustang in his boat house until he sold the boat. I actually don't know if he even had a trailer for the boat. It never left our lake until he sold it.

He pretty much built the boathouse to accommodate that particular boat. So, it was built from the ground up with strong enough joists etc. to lift it from overhead.

Oddly enough, I don't think he used the lifting rings. I'm pretty sure he some kind of cradle made with heavy straps, where it would spend it's winter slumber. He didn't lift the boat regularly during the season, as the water by his boathouse was very calm.
Furno View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 5:38pm
TullFooter - On the threadjack - we're just a little north of Clarkston, so we're familiar with the Union and the Mac-n-Cheese. Some of the best around. I keep my boat on Secord Lake, which is in mid-mi. (great skiing lake when it's not busy.) A little further to go and no Union.

Someone suggested pushing the hoist in with a ATV with a plow. You've got to be careful with that as well. Like some of the others, our lake is pretty steep at the edge and I've seen one or two just keep going with a little push. Most of us have the hoist cabled to something on shore.

Andy

'83 2001
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 5:50pm
Move south? or pay someone? Nothing is easy- with boating.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 6:13pm
Peter,
WTH are you talking about regarding "footers"?? Is the boathouse on cribs, pilings or concrete? If the later, you had better check with the DNR since they have some pretty tough restrictions even though Walker relaxed them.

I find it hard to believe that your uncle has a problem with storing boats in it. Fill me in more on his concerns.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 6:29pm

Peter,
WTH are you talking about regarding "footers"?? Is the boathouse on cribs, pilings or concrete? If the later, you had better check with the DNR since they have some pretty tough restrictions even though Walker relaxed them.

I find it hard to believe that your uncle has a problem with storing boats in it. Fill me in more on his concerns.

It's a seperate Massize concrete footer that supports the front of the boat house. It's 3ftx75ftx apparently 4ft deep. My Uncle has no say really on storing in the boathouse, he just thinks it's unsafe because this massive footer rises up in the winter according to him. I call him out on a lot of his BS, but it's very frustrating dealing with him, plus I'm never there in the winter, my goal is to take pictures of everything when i go up this winter and see how it reacts.

He tried "fixing" the boathouse about 10 years ago, charged my grandmother 100K, and the fix failed in 2 years it was crazy. The problem was the boat house was deattaching from the foundation that's up against the ground of the shore, plus a few other issues.

Feel free to ask away with any more questions. I can answer them as best I can, I really would love to store my 1970 in the boathouse every year.

Yes the DNR concerns me, we have one of the biggest and nicest pure boathouses on the chain and not being able to spend certain amounts to fix it is beyond crazy.

O and I built some concrete pilings myself, so support the rotting floor in spots, i then replaced the floor in spots as it was sagging. I wish i could redesign the whole damn thing, Poor a solid Rebar foundation.

1970 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 6:41pm
10 years ago the DNR will be after his ass. Per them, you are only allowed to put 50% of the appraised valuation in repairs over it's lifetime!! Walker lifted that but not 10 years ago.

So, he feels he gets some frost heave when the water is lowered! What does that have to do with storing a boat?

Get a permit, move the boathouse off the concrete and have some decent pilings driven.

This is Charlies (brady) boathouse. He was able to get it classified as historical so he could do anything with it to bring it back to original!

Sorry about the small picture. They moved it on the ice about 100'. set new pilings and moved it back.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 6:49pm

HOLY great news, i had no clue that was possible, our boat house was only built in 1968(yes my Grandpa won in court to have it built right after they were outlawed) so probably a no go on the histoircal society, also IDK about moving that sucker, it's MASSIVE.

Would love to look into getting a permit to move it, you know the correct avenue to go?

1970 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 8:29pm

also IDK about moving that sucker, it's MASSIVE.

Would love to look into getting a permit to move it, you know the correct avenue to go?

"Massive"??? No, it's a single story 3 slip!!! Charlies is a two story 3 slip!! Why do you think it's massive? I've seen two story 4 slips moved. BTW, Charlies boathouse was on the other side of the lake at one time. They moved it across the ice with a team of horses.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 11:24pm
Thanks for making me feel right at home, Peter. I see your boathouse almost every day in the summer. Maybe next summer we can get together with Andy up on Rest Lake and his red Mustang and have a Mustang parade over to the Tiki Bar.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Toeboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toeboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 11:30pm
Going rate on my lake for the guy to come in and lift it out and put it onshore is $95. I can't bring myself to do that. So what to do I have on hand? Cradle goes up powered by 4000 lb winch and tubes. I figure I need two blocks( pulleys), a couple 5' 2x6 with a trailer roller on each end to span tubes. Tie a line to frame of lift on strbrd side, run on top of 2x6 on top of tube, then back down to frame on port side thru block. Snug up and tie back off to cradle which is lowered as far as possible. Cranking cradle up then pulls tubes down and floats lift. Move to shoreline and pull it out with JD 425.
Toeboat

89 BFN w/454 bought new and still love it.
06 Ski Nautique w/ZR6
72 Promo
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2012 at 11:44pm
Some years ago I found the most expensive way to move a Shore Station. At the time I had one bad arm and a bad knee. I picked it up with a sling over my shoulders and my one good arm. I moved it to where I wanted it, a total of about 3'. The aftermath? The shoulder surgery to my one previously good arm was enough to buy a really nice ski boat and pay a crew to move the lift for years.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 2:30am

Going rate on my lake for the guy to come in and lift it out and put it onshore is $95. I can't bring myself to do that. So what to do I have on hand? Cradle goes up powered by 4000 lb winch and tubes. I figure I need two blocks( pulleys), a couple 5' 2x6 with a trailer roller on each end to span tubes. Tie a line to frame of lift on strbrd side, run on top of 2x6 on top of tube, then back down to frame on port side thru block. Snug up and tie back off to cradle which is lowered as far as possible. Cranking cradle up then pulls tubes down and floats lift. Move to shoreline and pull it out with JD 425.

Just Find a guy with a helicopter, simple solution.

I'm kidding, but would be quite funny seeing a helicopter brought in carrying a shore station.
1970 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic