NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shore station

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2012 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

What are you? the Quote Nazi?!!!!!!

Careful, he'll start changing your avatar picture before too long.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2012 at 8:10pm
All I can say is:   Thank You, Thank You Quote Nazi !!!

And quoting pics ???   I'm like WTF ???

Now we need a Resizing Nazi !!!
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2012 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I would absolutely classify wasteful site activity as bogging down the server.

I've often wondered if you can deny/reduce the strange spam threads that show up fairly often.

(although it is convenient to go to just one website to both solve a mechanical issue, and find a new handbag to match my shoes)

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2012 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Peter, I don't think you will have a Boathouse problem regardless of what they do. Yours is more or less a pocket Boathouse, so you shouldn't have the big ice issues.
The DNR issues permits to excavated your boat house, and Chuck Kramer of Chucks Excavating cannot do the permitting process and the work. He excavated my friends boat house last year because the sand had moved making it shallow. Chuck is a great guy and does very nice work. You can find him some evenings at the Rustic, he is the really huge guy.
Personally I think they will just decide to draw it down less than 2', but this is based on blue sky. The passage to clear is a little over 4' at full pool, so I don't see much of a problem there. I frequently go to Wild Rice Lake too and never have a problem.

My mom and chuck are on a 1st name basis, he knows me pretty well too.

Problem is our boathouse has 1 large cement footer that goes across the front. so back in the summer of 2007, when the water was really low the rudder on our 99 supra would smack against it when big waves came into the boathouse to the point of where we had to move it to the floating dock, another DNR favorite.

So we're f'd!
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Toeboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toeboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2012 at 12:39am
Thanks for the ideas. I got it with tubes under the frame and using pier sections as ramps into the yard.
Toeboat

89 BFN w/454 bought new and still love it.
06 Ski Nautique w/ZR6
72 Promo
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2012 at 2:49am
Ok, enough about the quotes. We get it.

Secondly, I wish they evil Wisconsin DNR would just leave our water levels the hell alone. 70+ years we have operated this way.

I don't care about the sturgeon, I don't care about wetlands that dry up in the winter, etc.

Frankly, my grandma payes a lot of money to use that chain. We expect water in the spring, and a draw down in the winter so we don't have to pull things completely in.

Again, 70+ years of the same exact thing. Without a full pool, the town would not exist and there would be no attraction to the area. That area is dependant on that chain of lakes and a full pool. Monkeying with the water levels is not an option.

If it were up to the evil Wisconsin DNR, they would have the dam removed completely and return the area to what it was over 100 years ago.

The DNR needs to stop this colossal waste of everyones time. Remember 2007?

BEFORE:

AFTER (yes, this was taken during the HEIGHT of the summer season)

Same area, same lift.

Problem is our boathouse has 1 large cement footer that goes across the front. so back in the summer of 2007, when the water was really low the rudder on our 99 supra would smack against it when big waves came into the boathouse to the point of where we had to move it to the floating dock, another DNR favorite.

So we're f'd!

I always would see that Supra there when we would go to Voss' in the morning for breakfast.

2007 was a disaster, and the reason I think the Wiscon DNR is more crooked than Bernie Madoff.

I have a TON of pictures of the destruction they caused in 2007.

------------

John, with the water where it belongs, I was able to get my boat to every lake on the chain without problem, but I *HATE* going through Fawn/Stone. Every damn time I go through there I hit something. Which wouldn't really bother me as I go slow, but the fact that I'm driving between the red/green bouys and STILL hitting things has me a bit irritated. If you're going to put up bouys, at least make sure that the area you are telling people to navigate is clear of hazards.

And as soon as I become king of the world, I'm removing all of the pointless bouys OUT of the Island Lake/Spider Lake channel. I was able to successfully navigate that channel before I was 10...so if adults can't do it now, get off my chain.

Wow, I must be angry tonight...I need a Valium
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2012 at 3:37pm
Haha, u laugh everytime is the bug rock n front of that boathouse scratched up even with the bouys there.
1970 Mustang
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2012 at 3:48pm
Oh yeah. It still has a nice aluminium top to it.

And that's, again, part of my beef. If you're going to tell people where to navigate, at least make sure the channel you specify is clear. If I were to actually follow the buoys from Spider into Island, I would hit the rock.

And the green one from Island to Spider can go WAYYY closer to the sand bar.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2012 at 4:09pm
Buoys are only "navigational aids". Read your DNR booklet!!!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2012 at 4:36pm
Well then there's no point to these buoys in question as even without them there really is only one path you can take.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2012 at 4:40pm
Without another major multi year drought I doubt we will see anything like the summer of 07 again.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2012 at 4:43pm
there is more wasted space in this thread than in " I didnt build that"
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2012 at 7:22pm

Without another major multi year drought I doubt we will see anything like the summer of 07 again.

Come on John, you know full well that our water levels were far lower than other lakes in the area in 2007. The DNR KNEW that we were dumping far too much water over the dam and yet continued to strong arm the dam operators into releasing more water than they ever should have. we had someting like 14 CFS coming into the chain and they were releasing anywhere from 50 to closer to 70 CFS.

------------------------

Quote there is more wasted space in this thread than in " I didnt build that"

No one forced you to read it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2012 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Well then there's no point to these buoys in question as even without them there really is only one path you can take.

Yes, the deeper path! Once again, those red and green buoys are only aids. Your on your own navigational skills!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2012 at 4:20pm
Depth isn't the issue. It's plenty deep enough. But I just think that if you are going to put buoys out directing people where to go, hen you have an obligation to ensure that path is clear. Otherwise the buoys are pointless.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2012 at 11:24pm

Come on John, you know full well that our water levels were far lower than other lakes in the area in 2007. The DNR KNEW that we were dumping far too much water over the dam and yet continued to strong arm the dam operators into releasing more water than they ever should have. we had someting like 14 CFS coming into the chain and they were releasing anywhere from 50 to closer to 70 CFS.

I'm not sure they knew it. I don't believe they had any incentive to screw it up, but they had a steep learning curve after 2007. The flow is not regulated by law to 25% of what is coming into the chain, but to a minimum of 25% of the normal downstream flow. 2007 was the first year they tried with any precision to determine the flow rate and their calculations were not accurate. In addition, the drought did not help. The new electronically monitored sluice gate has been instrumental in determining what the flow actually is. Before that Bill could not put an additional board in the dam until there was a minimum flow somewhere in the neighborhood of the height of the board plus 2". That translated into about 8" of flow over the boards before installing another one. The lake didn't have enough flow in 07 to ever install all of the boards. With the new sluice gate flow can be pretty much infinitely varied. They haven't had any problems since 2007, but I have my eyes open. The chain was near high water mark all summer, and was over the target for several weeks. I hope we don't need to litigate with the DNR, but we have the Defense Fund waiting in case we do.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 2:38am

I'm not sure they knew it. I don't believe they had any incentive to screw it up, but they had a steep learning curve after 2007.

They knew. Full well:

Quote To top things off, it was discovered that the DNR knew from its own water flow measurements that Xcel Energy was inadvertently already putting more water through the dam than the DNR was trying to achieve.

They didn't say a word.

Lakeland Times

Honestly I think a lot of the DNRs vendetta against the Manitowish Chain is backlash because they lost against that guy on Alder lake.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 12:01pm

Honestly I think a lot of the DNRs vendetta against the Manitowish Chain is backlash because they lost against that guy on Alder lake.

Alder lake guy?

We talking about Tom Baer? I've been in his house and his boat house it's quite the sight!!!!

Not sure if you guys know, but he built his own private lake, it has a diving cliff with an aerator to break your fall, all the dirt piled up now made it so he has the highest point in the county lol.

Pretty insane he is, his all electric wood boat is another head spinning feat of his.

I have so many crazy stories about that guy, skiing on the ski team when his son was on it, we learned a ton about him.

The best story is he walked into a shop in Maniwaters, there was a picture of a guy in an early 1950's skiboat with a 50hp mercury taken in front of his house on Alder lake. So he researched for 4 years looking for everything to replicate the picture, down to the hat the guy was wearing. It's the reason why he bought the boat, just to have a picture of himself taken in the same exact spot. So he has a picture of himself riding in the boat with the same exact stance and the one taken 60 years earlier next too it framed in the boathouse.

1970 Mustang
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

OMFG. You just did it again.

Ignorance is bliss.

Seriously, McFly?? A case where his own quote was most appropriate, lol
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 10:08pm

Alder lake guy?

We talking about Tom Baer? I've been in his house and his boat house it's quite the sight!!!!

Yeah!!! That's him!

I couldn't remember his name. He does have a nice place...and cameras all over.

He reminds me of Howard Hughes. A guy with tons of money and does cool/odd things with it. I'd love to see his place.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 10:58pm
I don't know Tom, but I have met him several times at the Tiki Bar in his electric launch. I believe he said it is a fiberglass hull fitted out with mahogany, and made in Germany. If you attended any of the town meetings regarding his request for zoning changes over the years you are aware that he threatened to bankrupt the town if they didn't approve his request, after he had already violated the zoning ordinance and put in a cranberry bog on some land. He has been a thorn in the town's side for a long time. That being said, he does have some interesting toys. He reminds me of Fred Nielsen of Blarney Island fame in that fedora and dark clothes he always wears.
Here"s Fred's boat, he is driving wearing the black clothes and fedora, pretty cool. I believe he said it tops out at about 170.
Fred's Skater

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2012 at 2:59am
The house is nice, it's very eclectic, had custom beams putin, has an antique bowling alley in the basement, but you have to replace the pins manually so it take the fun out of it.

Has 2 of these insanely cool, music box deals. It's a machine that plays 4 instruments mechanically. It's pretty insane.

The only tv in the house is in the movie theater, as for the cameras everywhere, lol, no1 watches them at least i think, we did what we wanted when we went to parties their, plus i just walked to the lake and swam in it, and climbed up the big new Mount MW.

The boat mighty have been made in germany, but the electric part was all custom done in his work shop near his new lake, remember he had guys working on it all summer back in 07 or 08.

Alder lake is quite interesting, Baer owns like 2000+ft of frontage, the government owns the beach area and probably another 1/3 of the lake, and my friends the Bartlings who own the cranberry bogs, own about a 1/3 of the lake themselves, there's really not to many small single lake homes on it, except near wild rice channel.

1970 Mustang
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2012 at 6:01am
I used to work for Barb Bartling at LaPortes back in the day. I can't believe she sold the store. I saw her son Steve and their black Mastercraft on Island Lake this summer. He was with a friend with an old Century inboard. We chatted for a bit.

May I ask, are you related to the McGraws that own Chippewa Retreat? I seem to remember a wooden sign on the front of that property you posted that said something like R.C. McGraw or something very similar.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2012 at 11:17am
Yea he's my uncle, the one that "fixed" our boathouse.

I'm actually a Mcgraw through my mom, all that money over their is from My aunt who runs the shop across highway 51 from Hogan's.
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2012 at 2:26pm
That is a beautiful job your uncle did on Chippewa! When I bought my shack up there Chippewa was not very attractive, especially the 4 unit place on the lake. It is a jewel now.
The Bartlings are wonderful people too. I bought my shack from Peter. BTW, I just don't agree with the way Tom has dealt with the town at times. He did a really nice job on Mill Point and is an interesting guy, judging by a couple of short conversations and his toys.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2012 at 5:47pm

I'm actually a Mcgraw through my mom, all that money over their is from My aunt who runs the shop across highway 51 from Hogan's.

Ah yes, I worked for her too!

I drove George to drivers ed in St Germain many years ago.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2012 at 7:24pm

Ah yes, I worked for her too!

I drove George to drivers ed in St Germain many years ago.

Small world that's my cousin.
1970 Mustang
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 5:01pm
Tom Baer! My company did the HVAC automation in his main house. I spent many weeks there when under construction and the first few months of occupancy. He has 3 air handling units and a chiller in a private residence!   Neat guy, cool boats and amazing compound.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Tom Baer! My company did the HVAC automation in his main house. I spent many weeks there when under construction and the first few months of occupancy. He has 3 air handling units and a chiller in a private residence!   Neat guy, cool boats and amazing compound.

Chiller? You mean a central A/C or is this something different for up in the Northwoods? Reason why I ask is, you might have some business! haha.
1970 Mustang
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 6:15pm
A chiller is a central cooling unit that makes cold water.   The cold water is piped to coils much like freon woudl be, but generally on a MUCH larger scale... Pretty extravagant for a residence, not to mention EXPENSIVE!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic