Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'08 230 gel coat cracks, leave 'em or fix 'em?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
super01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '08 230 gel coat cracks, leave 'em or fix 'em?
    Posted: October-28-2012 at 5:27pm
There are some cracks in the gel coat around the rudder mount in my '08 230, they are pretty long and radiate out both sides and aft. They appear to be cosmetic, I can have them fixed, or should I leave them? If they are fixed will they come back again?

Anyone else have this issue with their '08 230?

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2012 at 7:43pm

To fix stress cracks the right way, grind them out all the way to the fiber glass, then see what you have.

If its only in the gel coat -

Fill with thickened epoxy and top with gel coat.
And sand, sand, sand.

Repaired right they won't come back.

Can you inspect the area from inside the boat?
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2012 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

To fix stress cracks the right way, grind them out all the way to the fiber glass, then see what you have.

If its only in the gel coat -

Fill with thickened epoxy and top with gel coat.
And sand, sand, sand.

Repaired right they won't come back.

Can you inspect the area from inside the boat?

Careful!! The gel will not stick to the epoxy. You will need to cover the epoxy fill with vinyl ester first then go with the polyester gel. Still, the epoxy repair is the way to go.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2012 at 8:00pm
Pete,

If groves from a die grinder are filled I think it would be OK.
(1/4 inch wide or less)

BUT -

If the whole area was sanded then I'd use a vinyl ester bond coat.

Your probably right, sand the whole area to do it right.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2012 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Pete,

If groves from a die grinder are filled I think it would be OK.
(1/4 inch wide or less)

BUT -

If the whole area was sanded then I'd use a vinyl ester bond coat.

Your probably right, sand the whole area to do it right.

Andy,
I just wanted to "play it safe"!!! Yes, a small routed out crack should not be a issue but, the vinyl ester conversion coat is the best safe way to go.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2012 at 9:31pm
It's under warranty so why not?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
super01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2012 at 10:35pm
I will try to have a look from inside the hull. I'm not a bodywork guy, I stick to the mechanical and electrical. So I plan to take it to my local Nautique dealer for the repair. I will talk to him about how the repair will be done, what materials they will use, etc. per your recommendations. It is covered so cost isn't a concern, I just don't want to make it any worse than it is.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2012 at 11:34pm
Did you hit something? It seems odd that this area would crack unless it was subjected to unusually high stress.

Get it fixed right - that boat has a lot of life left in it!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2012 at 3:09am
I'm with Chris on this. First, how did this happen? Second, find a good fiberglass/gel coat guy to inspect and quote if you aren't up or have knowledge to fix yourself.   

Doesn't sound like mfg defect , but if so, they might cover repair. Any pics?
super01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2012 at 12:21am
They were in the hull when I bought the boat. The previous owner claims that the rudder never got run into anything. There don't appear to be any cracks around the prop strut or any other running gear. I plan to have the hull checked thoroughly by the Nautique dealer before they repair it. The cracks do look like they originate at the forward two screws of the rudder mount. It would be unusual for CC to miss chamfering these holes, but not impossible.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic