Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'93 Ski Nautique 351 PCM Pro Tech Overheating

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
N2Deep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2Deep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2013 at 9:12pm
Or take the one out that is in there now and put it in water on the stove and see if it opens.
Could tell ya if the thermostat is good or bad and it could be something else.
1991 SN pulled by a 2010 Tundra
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2013 at 9:20pm
And the best way to test either one is to suspend it in the water.If it sits on the bottom you will get a false reading due to the contact to the hotter bottom of the container.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 1:10am
OK Tim lets back up a step or two

When running your boat in your drive you need to do the bucket method.
this method tells us that your impeller is pulling water through the system. did you check to see if your impeller was good or are we taking the word of the mechanic ?

get the new thermostat and report back you don't need a mechanic you have us!

1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
tsassman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 4:40am
I ordered a new 143F from SKIDIM today along with several other items and spoke extensively with Vince(great help). He indeed said it probably was a faulty thermo, but still could be a number of other things. I couldn't wait so I drove to Houston to pick one up from Palmer Power. I spoke a good long while with the manager there who also was very helpful. I showed him the old thermostat that I took out and he confirmed that it was a 160F. Remember in my previous post that when I found out the tech had installed a 160F I had him change it back out to the original 143F which he said he did. Obviously he LIED.
Well I got back home and immediately installed the new thermostat. Hooked up the water supply and started the boat the temp. rose to 140-150-160 all the while I had my hand on the top of the thermostat housing to see if I could tell a temp. change. At 165 I started to feel a difference, at 170 it stopped rising and dropped back down to 160 and stayed there. I let it run there at about 1,000 rpm for about 5 minutes feeling spots on the engine, checking water flow out the back. I felt safe to rev to about 1,500 with not much change. I decided to install my fresh water strainer back inline, had to go to local auto parts store to obtain new o-ring. I installed the strainer along with reconfiguring my water hookup. I this time used a 5 gallon bucket to let the water hose fill the bucket and let the motor pull the water from the bucket. With the bucket full and water running over I started the engine. Same result with the temps and felt good suction from the hose connected to the engine. At 1,000 rpm and water on all the way, the bucket would still run over. At about 1,500 the bucket would stay level with the top, at 2,000 the water level in the bucket starts to drop fairly quickly. I feel pretty confident I have solved the issue, but the true test will be getting it into the river(hopefully tomorrow evening, have to work). Another step I want to verify is test the engine areas with thermo gun(hopefull tomorrow or Thursday). On and by the way I still have yet to recieve a call back from the shop where the original service was done(imagine that).
tsassman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 5:07am
Here are some pics of my boat the day I dropped it off at the service center. I believe I am very close to solving the mechanical issue.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 12:20pm
Good to hear of your progress. Sometimes the cause is right in front of you, but mixed in with extraneous information.

Your boat looks great. Have you considered replacing the side graphics?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 2:46pm
Tim Ive been in your shoes nothing more frustrating than when the boat give us touble.

1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
tsassman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 5:05pm
Will be replacing decals in the next couple weeks. One good thing about the whole process is how much I have learned about my boat. This is my first one.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Something just doesn't sound right here. Two brand new stats of different temps and both bad?????? What are the chances of that?

I would confirm that the stats weren't installed upside down and when you get the new one put it in a pot of water on your stove and heat it up to verify that it does open at 143 before you install it.

+1 that's the first thing I thought about. upside down.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
tsassman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2013 at 8:52pm
Can't confirm anything what the original service tech did concerning stat replacement other than the 160F that I took out(it was installed correctly) which should have been a 143F. All I know is that when I replaced the 160F to the new one it seems to work like it should.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic