Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Amp meter or Volt Gauge ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dealer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dealer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amp meter or Volt Gauge ?
    Posted: January-02-2006 at 6:34pm
I have a 1979 Ski Nautique with a Merc 454. I recently had my alternator burn up my wire harness. I am going to replace the harness but I was thinking of eliminating the Amp meter due to the long runs of wiring involed. I am thinging of installing a volt meter and running the alternator wire (1 wire set up) to the back of the starter where the main battery line meets. I know the Amp meter set up is going to give me problems down the road so I am thinking of eliminating it now. Is this a good idea and has anyone done this.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2006 at 7:22pm
Your alternator shouldnt burn up your harness unless the wiring is designed for a 37 amp, and you have one substantially higher, or you had a short somewhere and there was no fusing/breaker protection for the wiring. Converting over is easy and not a problem, and would help cure problems of inadequate wire size for a high output alternator. It wont help you though if your large current draw (huge stereo w/amp etc.) is connected at the dash. Voltmeters generally work good, but cant tell you if there is something drawing after you shut down. I always look at the ammeter right after shutdown, and comfirms me everything is off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic